Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:16:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone built these yet? (Read 32176 times)
nubz69
Ex Member

Has anyone built these yet?
07/15/05 at 20:42:31

Just wondering

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Re: Has anyone built these yet?
Reply #1 - 08/13/05 at 14:31:00

nope, but if someone wants em to build em, I would for the price of wood + shipping + a little extra cash.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/15/05 at 08:56:29

Im thinking a lot about them, but lack of appropriate corners is a bit of a problem....

I realy like the 4 x 5½ inch version with a mid/treble horn on top.
its nice having a cornerhorn with only one bend, with a flat response to 2000 hz or more. I think it should give a very dynamic sound with a lot of presence.

As usuale: Upscaled with four 12 inch woofers......hmm....hmmm....thinkin......hmmmm...... Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/15/05 at 12:21:04

LOL! Smiley You just can't stop yourself  :D
I looked at them but, but it would be a shame to just stick them in a room, they do look fun to build though.
How big do you figure would your 12" be? about 5 feet tall or so?
Steve mentioned the type of room that seems to work well for them. without that type of space I think they would have there potential performance diminished.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/15/05 at 17:11:33

I'm in the middle of building a pair; they're, uh, "not trivial."  :)  
And yes, I started by re-building a listening room with the same dimensions as Steve's, with the alcove.  

I like the fact that the FLH/BLH aspect, and drivers can be so easily changed.  
I was going to build the four 5 1/2" driver version first, but Steve said the other version worked better indoors in a smaller room.  

As to scaling it up, I don't know if that's a good Idea...  
Horns are designed with specific compression chamber/throat/flair rate/length/mouth dimensions.  
Just "making everything bigger" changes everything; it's no longer tuned to the same frequency (if at all).  
AND
One of the main advantages listed in the original white paper of this design over the Klipsch is that this design uses smaller drivers, which keeps the mass of the individual driver less, which in turn makes transients quicker.  
What was also mentioned in that paper was the option of stacking multiple units though...  
I bet that would be awesome in a big enough venue!  
Robert  :)

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/15/05 at 20:03:27

The four 12 inch version is an idea. I dont know how big it would be since I havnt done any simulations or anything.
I would like to have a -3 dB point at 20 hz and a continious 140 dB @ 25 hz and above. It would be a great bass horn! Perfect for my HT.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/15/05 at 20:05:32

Quote:
I'm in the middle of building a pair; they're, uh, "not trivial."  Smiley  
And yes, I started by re-building a listening room with the same dimensions as Steve's, with the alcove.  

Pics ??!!??!!!

Thats very intresting. I can imagine thats its "not trivial" to build.

Smiley Johannes.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/15/05 at 20:20:56

[quote author=Circlomanen  link=1121460151/0#5 date=1124132607]The four 12 inch version is an idea. I dont know how big it would be since I havnt done any simulations or anything. Cheesy [/quote]
I have  ;D
It's big!  
That is the next plan, to build a sub horn in the alcove.  
Cross over somewhere around 40Hz.  

A 15Hz flare will go flat to 20 Hz.  
Steve Schell has built one, calls it the "big bottom horn."  
Truncated to just the first 20 foot mark, it folds up into a box 8' x 8' x 2' and fires into a corner 4" away, where the corner intersects the exponential expansion of the horn, and the room becomes the rest of the flare.  

A horn doesn't need four 12s tho, in fact he said a single 15 is more than adequate.  .

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/16/05 at 05:02:56

Interesting! if I had a place to put them, I would order the plans.

IP Logged
stan461
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/23/05 at 11:31:50

serenechaos said:
I have  

so then stan461 asks:
And what does it sound like? Satisfied? Would do it all over again?

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/24/05 at 04:08:56

stan461:
I was answering Circlomanen, as to having modeled a sub horn with a -3 dB point at 20 hz.  
Steve Schell has built one, it is 8' x 8' x 2', and fires into a corner 4' away.  
I plan on building one when I finish my cornerhorns.  

I think this is a lot better approach than scaling the cornerhorns up to using four 12" drivers.  
The white paper discusses one of the Decware advantages over the Klipsch coming from less driver cone mass.  
This would be lost with 12" drivers.  

Since the Decware cornerhorn is flat to ~40Hz as designed, I'm building it per blueprints, and use a sub horn to fill in below.  
Robert

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/13/05 at 03:44:46

serenechaos
I am just giving you a little nudge to see how your making out. and how complex the construction is. It is not on my agenda to build but I am curious.

gex

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/23/05 at 15:34:13

hey gexter,
sorry, i didn't see your post, i haven't been checking in as much lately.  
"life stuff" is taking up too much time lately--i'm finishing up a master's degree and doing a practium this semester.  
which means, unfortunatly, that i might not resume work on the corner horns until after the first of the year  >:(
robert  :)

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 14:46:42

*nudge* any head way being made?

IP Logged
Gex Fell Off His box
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/22/06 at 05:24:45

nudge.
just wondering?

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/22/06 at 06:19:31

Not much unfortunately... Embarrassed  >:(  
Got married, new house, new job, not much time...  
The new room has the same dimensions as Steve's reference room, but OBs & HDTs which sounded good before (in old room) sound pretty bad in new room w/o treatment.  :'(
So, I still want to add absorbtion/diffusion units and get the room to baseline good w/ existing set-up before adding corner horns, and changing too many things @ once...  

IP Logged
AudioNirvana
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/21/06 at 15:07:58

Still no news???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print