03/28/24 at 16:32:52 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HDT tweaks (Read 58119 times)
brad
Ex Member

Re: HDT tweaks
Reply #50 - 06/24/05 at 16:47:32

Just placed my order for the upgrade kit.  :D  Haven't yet decided on the gel-waxing.  I'd like to hear from Steve the effects on sound of adding the gel wax.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 07/05/05 at 17:20:00

Anyone having their drivers gel-waxed, or planning to?
I have the cabinet upgrade kit on order and would be interested to hear opinions of the sound with the driver upgrade.

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 07/05/05 at 21:03:03

Hey Brad,
I'm going to wait and see what others say about the gel coating ???. I have the new port lengths and egg crate foam in place and all I need to do now is order the new passives. Building these speakers is taking longer than I thought with all of the summer activities going on Cry. I hope to get close to having the HDT's finished soon Grin.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 07/08/05 at 22:34:38

Brad,

I am getting my drivers waxed. I got the impression from the paper that this really activates the other mods by lowering the driver fs slightly increasing weight as well as increasing liquidity, perhaps having the air molecules launched off of a softer surface vs. hard.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 07/11/05 at 16:43:04

It would be interesting to know more about what's going on. For sure the cone mass will be higher. Perhaps trading off the lower Fs for a bit lower efficiency.  

I don't know what "liquidity" really means. If you mean "smoother" maybe we're just talking about a (further) reducing of that up-tilt in the frequency response - in the upper mids and lower treble that the FE206 has.

Keep us informed.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 07/11/05 at 22:04:20

Brad,

Steve mentioned about 1db loss of efficiency which isn't a problem with our amps.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 07/21/05 at 22:15:57

I sent an email to Devon. It's been close to a month and no word of a ship date on the upgrade kit yet.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 07/22/05 at 03:38:58

Brad,

I am not sure of your intention for posting the above. If you wanna bitch, then bitch. Let it out. I just don't see the point of the above post. Cut Steve some slack man. Things are busy and considering how much solder that guy inhales every day, I think he is doing just fine.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 07/22/05 at 17:22:31

So let me understand what you're saying... You think it's good for Decware (not) to be notified by their customer base when their delivery of goods/services is falling below a customer's expectations?  I guess it's better for customers to just be quietly disgruntled and to silently take their business elsewhere.  If there is no feedback, a biz owner would never know where their  offering could be improved.  Customer feedback is ALWAYS good.

The intention is to bring some attention to the fact that I ordered something almost a month ago and have had no contact from Decware.  I don't think "bitching" is an accurate description of my communication.  I wanted to bring attention to a whole in Decware's customer service - and sometimes a public notice of such is the best way to draw attention to it.  I don't mind being told a product won't be shipped for a month (due to parts/supplies delays, or x, y, or z).  But not hearing ANYTHING about an order is not good customer service.  I'm a very understanding long-time customer of Decware. In this case just an email would go a long way.  I'm sure that Devon intended to send me an email, but probably forgot.  And yes, I know they are busy, understaffed, etc.  Such is the world of owning your own business.  I would suggest some biz process be used to avoid this - maybe just a spreadsheet or MS Outlook task entries?  

As Decware grows and product shipments increase, which could happen with things like the TABOO and other products being reviewed, things will only get worse unless they can put some process in place.  There are many smart guys on this forum, many "techies". I know Randy is one and I'm another.  Perhaps we could help Decware by making recommendations on software products that could help.  A web page based front-end to whatever database they use could help - eg, allowing customers to just go to some web page to view the status of their order, thus reducing emails and phone calls to Devon/Steve.

Bottom line; I'm fine with "suffering" product ship delays in exchange for awesome products at very reasonable prices.  I'd just like some status/communication so I know what's going on.
And I have a feeling I'm not alone in this experience and mindset.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 07/22/05 at 18:03:36

Quote:
And I have a feeling I'm not alone in this experience and mindset.  

You are correct.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 07/22/05 at 18:12:02

Brad,Brad,BRAD

Have you called Devon?
If you haven't and truly wanted results then would not picking up the phone and calling her be the best bet?

What you are saying is its best to motivate by fear?

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 07/22/05 at 19:15:45

Corey, Corey, COREY,
 No I did not call Devon. I sent her email, which she quickly responded to and said that Ziggy would be sending it out by Friday.  This is good. But you miss my point.

Look, I know a ~$100 sale is small potatoes and goes to the bottom of the priority queue.  But I shouldn't have to initiate communication to either 1) get status or 2) get the ball rolling.  And if Decware had hundreds of orders in the pipe and every customer did this, they'd be handling phone calls and emails all day long with little time to do anything else.  Who knows, maybe that's what's going on.  

I've heard of other intances of delays, lost orders, etc., from Decware, though to be fair probably low in numbers compared to the amount of orders they take.   I'm not trying to unduely hammer Steve/Devon for this. I know it's not easy and there will always be instances of miscommunication, lost or delayed orders, etc.  I personally like Steve allot - from what I know of him through various phone conversations.  And I absolutely LOVE the various Decware products I've owned. At present my system is almost entirely Decware products, save my Sony SACD player.  I just think their order process is less than perfect and could use some improvements. Is that such a HUGE criticism?  Am I a "meany" for pointing it out?

By voicing this in a public formum, maybe I am doing harm to Steve's business. I sincerely hope not, and I doubt it. What I hope is that if others have a similar feeling as I, it comes to light so that Steve/Devon finds out, and can address things to improve his customer satisfaction, and long-term have an (even more) sucessful business.

Is my opinion ok, ok, OK, or should I send it through the Corey (all feedback must be positive) filter before posting it to the Decware forum?

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 07/23/05 at 00:08:31

"Mommy, I want my cereal NOW"  >:(

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 07/23/05 at 00:12:42

Sorry Brad, I just had to use that pissed off smily face, its just so cute. It makes me laugh.
I apologise for judging you I guess, something just set me off last night reading your post on a $100 speaker tweak. Peace dude! I'll shut up now.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 08/02/05 at 17:01:40

I got the kit now. Will let y'all know how it changes things.  Anyone else doing, or did, this yet?

The passive radiators are interesting. they have double foam surrounds and are domed instead of flat. I'm thinking they may need speaker grills - if they protrude from the cabinet they could be damaged easily.  I'll try to post pics.

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 08/02/05 at 17:55:23

Brad,
Please keep us posted. I am particularly interested in how the mods work without the Gel added to the drivers. Is this the route yopu plan to take?
John

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 08/02/05 at 18:06:38

for now. I may add the gel later.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 08/02/05 at 18:33:16

This is great Brad can't wait to hear how you like them with the new mods etc. Pics when you have a chance. Dave Smiley

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 08/04/05 at 07:13:51

Well, mods are in place.  Only question I have is there are two square pieces of foam that were not labelled as the others were (with felt pen) as to where they should be placed. The are the same dimensions as the top of the cabinet but slightly smaller.  Do they go in the bottom chamber? if so, how? through the small port in the back of the cabinet?

I'll have to wait to comment on the difference in sound until I have more hours of listening. One thing though, I was expecting the most difference to be in the bass, but in fact the first thing I noticed was more "presense" - at first I thought it sounded brighter, but then the more I listened, it just sounds more "alive".  Not quite sure yet...  
In any event, at first listen I don't hear it as being a slam-dunk better thing.  We'll see if my opinion changes over time.  I'm wondering if the passive radiators have break-in time like drivers?

more to come...

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 08/04/05 at 12:31:37

Hey Brad
The piece of square foam you have does go in the bottom of the speaker thru the port hole Grin

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 08/04/05 at 17:51:12

Thanks bird-man  :)

Btw, what I meant with the "slam-dunk" comment was, while I do think it sounds better with the mods, I don't consider it a huge difference. While I'm glad I spent the couple hours to make the mods, it not like the originals sound broken by comparison.  It's  just the "signature" of the sound is changed with the mods. I think this is similar to what Steve said.

On some recordings with the TABOO amp I hear a brighter presentation - some people may not like it and I don't like it on (some) recordings. On good recordings the soundstage opens up even more and the speakers disappear more. I also hear more of a difference now when switching back and forth the TABOO "lucid" mode as well as changing the feedback settings.  Before the HDT mods I couldn't hear much of a difference changing these settings - now it's more pronounced.

If I were buying a new pair of HDT's I definitely would opt for the new configuration.

Anyone know the answer to the question of whether the PR's need break-in time?  Also, we'll see if those square foam pieces in the bottom change things much.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 08/04/05 at 18:49:52

Brad,

It is nice having dynamics and acceleration close to a Lowther. I think I will eventually just buy new Decware 206 drivers with the wax applied. Less shipping(only one way) and that cutts down on huge loss chances by the UPS factor.

Right now these drivers can really pull off a speed act naked.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Sluts
Reply #72 - 08/04/05 at 18:59:04

Yes, the passives need huge break in time. You got a new pair of sluts there to break in. The foams look like some type of poly coated foam.

Id bag on them for 6-7 hundred hours then really decide whether you want to build an SO sub. If I was building the sub I would go with the unwaxed drivers for parties. You want the mids more conjested and dynamic for the SO.

By the time you get those passives broke in you will have enough nickel/dime cash around to buy a new waxed driver at $295.
Some people buy $250 tubes like 300 B's yet add another 50 dollars and you have $295 and a new set of gel waxed drivers that really let the modifications sound through.

Corey

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 08/04/05 at 23:40:26

Brad,
When I spoke to Steve he said that the passives definitly need break in time, just like the drivers.

I do have a couple of questions for you.
When you installed the new foam did you remove any of the existing dampening material? Could you describe the existing dampening material for me? Is it 1/2" felt?
I am beginning to think that some of the poor sound issues I am experiencing may be due to insufficient dampening. I installed the convoluted foam as Steve describes in his mods, but other than that the only other material I've added is some poly fill  in the tops of the speaker chamber. I have not extended the port tubes yet , nor have I had the drivers gelled.
Please keep us posted.
Thanks,
John

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 08/04/05 at 23:46:03

sounds good so far  :)  pics, pics Cheesy Cheesy     Dave Smiley

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 08/05/05 at 02:07:00

[quote author=zinker  link=1113323574/60#73 date=1123195226]Brad,
When I spoke to Steve he said that the passives definitly need break in time, just like the drivers.

I do have a couple of questions for you.
When you installed the new foam did you remove any of the existing dampening material? Could you describe the existing dampening material for me? Is it 1/2" felt?
I am beginning to think that some of the poor sound issues I am experiencing may be due to insufficient dampening. I installed the convoluted foam as Steve describes in his mods, but other than that the only other material I've added is some poly fill  in the tops of the speaker chamber. I have not extended the port tubes yet , nor have I had the drivers gelled.
Please keep us posted.
Thanks,
John [/quote]

Only thing I removed was the stuffing (wool?) above the driver.
If I remember correctly, this is what I was supposed to do... ?
Wink  I'll betcha that gel wax is intended to smooth out the slightly bright/rough high-end that I'm hearing with the mod - again on some recordings. I wonder what other effects it has on the sound?

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 08/05/05 at 02:59:26

You need to add a ZBox to the Sony 999.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 08/05/05 at 17:52:33

[quote author=Corey  link=1113323574/75#76 date=1123207166]You need to add a ZBox to the Sony 999. [/quote]

Why?  The output is quite sufficient.

IP Logged
muzik
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 10/10/05 at 09:33:19

Hello,

Does any one know what type of glue is used for the PVC pipes to MDF??..

Thank you.

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 10/10/05 at 12:31:44

Hey muzik
I used expoxy for the pvc to mdf. I first took some 120 grit sandpaper and roughed up the end thats going to be glued into the the mdf.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 10/10/05 at 18:25:51

Liquid nails or most multi-purpose "construction adhesive" should work fine.  This is the type of stuff used to glue granite counter tops to wood kitchen cabinets. Sticks to almost anything and cheap. See Home Depot or most any hardware store.

IP Logged
muzik
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 10/10/05 at 22:04:06

Thank's I will try that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print