Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:13:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
scaled wo32,anyone wanna host a pic?? (Read 3169 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

scaled wo32,anyone wanna host a pic??
11/17/04 at 01:10:07

i got a pic of my new..... wo21?
but know not how to,sho u guys?
i can e mail a pic if you can put it up here?

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Re: scaled wo32,anyone wanna host a pic??
Reply #1 - 11/17/04 at 03:10:02

Bigmike, could you accomidate him for us? Plz???

Jason

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/17/04 at 07:25:19

Absolutely!

Just email me. michaelmacwillie@yahoo.ca

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/19/04 at 00:08:37

Here's the pic of 60ndown's WO21. Looks awesome!

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/19/04 at 03:41:53

Quote from my first girlfriend.. "WOW its so....small!" Yes but it works quite well and I bet that box does too.  ;D

I gotta get around to making a full size one. I need something to fill in the lowest of the lows.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/19/04 at 12:42:18

thanks mike,
did you photoshop about 30 extra pounds on me? or am i really a fat motherf&ck*r?

got a note from the mail man,subs are at the p.o. i will collect and install and listen today.will let you know how it sounds tonight!

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/20/04 at 07:34:59

Hey now, watch the accusitions! I only photoshoped on 15 pounds, thank you very much!  ;D

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/20/04 at 13:14:05

it wasnt the subs at the p.o.

monday!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/20/04 at 20:55:00

Damn, I hate it when that happens! Get all excited, and it's not drivers Smiley

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/23/04 at 12:15:49

subs arrived,unfortunately pressed steel basket on one was damaged in transit! voice coil rubbing.a few hits with a rubber hammer and it seems ok? will connect today(tuesday) and audition? Undecided

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/24/04 at 14:09:07

in short,the desighn scaleing works.im not sure as i dont have any kind of meter if its as flat through the range as the origional desighn,but it sounds dry as a bone and a huge improvement sonically over the 15,unfortunately the power handling is not sufficient,the 6.5 were rated at 150wrms but i doubt it,when driven even moderately hard i could hear the drivers giving up?(phut,phut) they are going back and im going to build a scaled for  8 inchers.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/26/04 at 02:53:59

actually it makes a great h.t sub!

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/04 at 04:23:40

so have you decided to keep it? Smiley

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/27/04 at 12:48:46

the sound is really good as a ht sub(actually when i play a cd thru the dvd player it sound good 2),but there have been a few times ive bottomed the subs out just watching a movie?(it just doesnt like those super low notes)
i got 4 days off and a stack of movies to watch Grin
i will make my final decision by monday,i put 6 hours into building the box,even tho its a bit off spec, id be hard pushed to just dump it,i will either keep it with the peerless or buy some new higher power 6.5s for it? the peerless are definately a cheap speaker,the spider was bent dureing shipping? i mean a speaker should be a bit tougher than that! the spider is a thin metal stamped kind easily distorted with minimum effort.so ive seen 300 and 600 watt dare i say it pyramid speakers on e bay 6.5 and $20 a pair?
you ever see tried heard any?
i spose for #20 i should just try em eh!

IP Logged
Tyrannicidae
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/08/04 at 19:40:17

60nDown <thumbs up> looks good, congrats

Alexander Tyrannicidae
Decware fidelity will make you smile

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/08/04 at 22:16:33

actually its a failed experiment Cry

6.5s just dont do alot of spl or low frequencies welll,any sighn of power and they sh%t themselves!

im sending the 6.5s back,leaving the box in the garage for a while untill i come across a set of 1000wrms 6.5 drivers?

i advise useing a minimum of a 10 inch driver for real bass with authority.
i didnt fail ,i succsessfully discoverd somthing else that doesnt work Grin

IP Logged
Tyrannicidae
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/08/04 at 22:50:05

It looks good anyway. You may just need to stick a solid divider in to shrink the internal chamber so you may get a little extra pressure behind the cone, those 6's may not need but a small fraction of a cubic foot chamber size. Possibly 80-100 cubic inches or so. .
Just some thoughts...Be Well
Alexander Tyrannicidae

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/09/04 at 13:48:44

you raise another question i have had for a long time,
when an amp send a signal to a woofer ,the woofer moves forward first? (i think) createing a vacume behing itself (kindof) how is a smaller area behind these 6 ers gonna help the fact thay they sound like they are bottoming out when given any sensible amount of power?

another thing,
i connected an old 8 inch genuine bazzoka tube to the ht system just to get some bass back after removeing the wo21.
weird? the 8 inch tube requires me to turn up the amp about double "or more" to achive any bass,the wo21 was produceing tons of bass with the amp way down? weird this sub buissiness? i woulda thought an 8 inch driver in a ported enclosure would have required less power than 2x 6.5 inchers in sealed?

maybe ill hang onto the 6.5 and do some more experimentatilailism?

IP Logged
Tyrannicidae
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/09/04 at 15:21:42

You are correct, 60nDown, when the first 90 degrees of signal is being read by the coil, there is a vacuum behind the cone. Therefore the larger the rear chamber the less vacuum, and the smaller the chamber the greater the vacuum. It would be similar to having an air break for the cone, helping slow the foward excurson momentum..adding resistance for distance traversed by cone. With extra vacuum it may assist in reducing the over extention of the cone, and may help prevent the tapping/clapping sound you heard on the lower frequencies.
It also works in the opposite direction once the cone has returned back to starting position (back 90 degrees), in the third 90 degree part of the phase as the cone moves from center in the reverse direction the pressure builds and works in the same way. The w21 is like really cool sealed box where its basic nomenclature is somewhat like having a dual 4th order horn. You may also adjust the spacing between the front of driver and the sidewall, if the internal changes do not help as much as you desired.

Just some thoughts,
Be Well,
Alexander Tyrannicidae
The Mini WO is cool

IP Logged
Tyrannicidae
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/09/04 at 15:33:44

I took a second look at your mini horn, I think the front will be fine, just reduce the internal chamber volume.
use a speaker prog to get a better idea of a more adequate internal chamber volume. maybe one of the resident gurus has a formula or suggestion....I dont want to put my foot in mouth on this one  :) as I said earlier with that 6 you may only need appx half or less than half the chamber size.
Alexander Tyrannicidae

IP Logged
bigmike216
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/09/04 at 23:14:14

I'm a firm believer in experementation. If you want to dry a smaller rear chamber volume, pop something solid in the rear chambers, about the same size, seal 'er up, and see how it does. If it sounds better, then you can figure out how much volume your solid objects took up, then take that ammount out of the rear chamber. If it sounds like poop, then out it comes. Grin

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/06/05 at 02:21:56

60, you mentioned that you were planning on scaling this design for 8's.  Did you ever get around to doing it?

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/12/05 at 05:29:56

Fine work 60. Perhaps drivers with a greater xmax along with that ability to handle more power are in order.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

IP Logged
denjah2005
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/03/05 at 09:05:43

can you plz. post the photo of your 6.5" co'z i really looking forward making one!

IP Logged
db_audio
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/03/05 at 21:41:22

before you scrap this thing, try DD 6.5's (digital designs) youll love them www.ddaudio.com   and their reasonably priced

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/04/05 at 01:19:14

man, thats an old thread revived? currently the wo21 is my h.t sub and very nice, but im gonna see bout them d.d. 6.5s and maybe try it back in the car ?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/04/05 at 01:23:48

hm the dds are 100wrms?

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=W6.5

the peerless drivers in there now are 150? but i bet the dds are way better and take more but im not sure ill bother? its a GREAT h.t. sub right now, sometimes when im watching stuff im seriously distracted by the solid accurate bass lines eminateing from behind the tv Wink   if i ever find a 350 wrms 6.5 driver i may re-consider ???

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 12/04/05 at 02:21:38

Dude!   wheres the pic?
have you got one that all that weight was not photoshopped on?
Smiley ( thats a joke)

I know things have changed since you orignally built it, and you like it when doing home renos  ;)
I plan on doing the same thing after I build my full scale one first.

I also would like to see you re post the picture of it.

thanks

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/04/05 at 03:45:59

im on a diet Smiley

seriously................................. Cry

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/04/05 at 06:21:28

thats just so sweet!

IP Logged
db_audio
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 12/05/05 at 05:43:39

250 w 6.5 sub...hmmm...ok i got it...call Jes at Digital Designs and have them take one of their 1000 series 8" or 10" moter structures and slap a 6.5 basket on it...

IP Logged
denjah2005
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/11/05 at 02:46:40

60ndown, how did you scaled it! that was so nice! have you tried putting driver on it, and try playing it? how does it sound?
That was a nice photo.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 12/11/05 at 04:18:09

[quote author=denjah2005  link=1100657408/30#31 date=1134269200]60ndown, how did you scaled it! that was so nice! have you tried putting driver on it, and try playing it? how does it sound?
That was a nice photo. [/quote]

i divided all measurements by .65. (i think, it was a while ago) as i am useing 6.5 inch drivers and not 10 inchers.it sounds very good, even tho i made some small mistakes while building it.my full size version is unbelieveable, and built much more accurately.

IP Logged
turbobusa65
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/18/07 at 01:00:13

60 now yer pis--ng me off!!! Angry  the wife say's yer cute!!!...................she say's you look like.......well.........a skinny version of me!!!!! Angry lol lol lol Grin is their anything you have not built? Angry

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/18/07 at 02:44:19

turbobusa65 wrote on 05/18/07 at 01:00:13:
60 now yer pis--ng me off!!! Angry  the wife say's yer cute!!!...................she say's you look like.......well.........a skinny version of me!!!!! Angry lol lol lol Grin is their anything you have not built? Angry

lol, im 6'1" and 230 lbs? you must be a fat motha.

funny thing is yesterday i dug the wo21 out of the garage and its now fully functiional as my ht sub Smiley

and

today i purchased a pair of llder jl 10w3, and im want to build either another wo or a wo32 but for my van, and i have read steve d say somewhere that the wo32 does not work in a car as the wavefront is just to big, but recent discussion here has left me wondering f i did ever read that?

so im prolly gonna build another wo32 Smiley

theres several of steves designs i havent built, and several i have.

i just love bass, sitting here listening to the wo21 while i type this is reminding me why  love bass,

there is just something so 'special' about an articulate bassline that reaches down really really low..........

IP Logged
turbobusa65
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/18/07 at 14:18:14

6'2" 283# and I can get into a 38 to 42 pants depending on the brand. Wink As much as you build, I bet you dream about this stuff at night lol lol

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/18/07 at 15:35:19

turbobusa65 wrote on 05/18/07 at 14:18:14:
6'2" 283# and I can get into a 38 to 42 pants depending on the brand. Wink As much as you build, I bet you dream about this stuff at night lol lol

i wear a 38 also.

unfortunately for me, my mind wont allow me to stop thinking about it.

its not that i want to, its that i cant stop. Undecided

a.d.d.    a.d.h.d. compulsive obsessive ?

call it what you like,  

i have a half dozen finished and working subs in my garage, several amps, and speakers, did i mention the 2000 watt system in my

van?

if i owned a motoercycle, you can bet your last dime there would be some very good quality drivers in my helmet, and my helmet

would be very heavily soundproofed. Smiley

maybe even a little sub build out of fibreglass (fireing straight up into the seat?) Roll Eyes

IP Logged
turbobusa65
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/19/07 at 11:14:55

I lost a good bit of weight last year on atkins no sweets no white's "bread rice crackers potato's and such" no fast food use 2% milk instead whole, lean cut's of meat,vegetables, you know just common sense. I used shelled peanuts for snacks.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/20/07 at 03:14:41

turbobusa65 wrote on 05/19/07 at 11:14:55:
I lost a good bit of weight last year on atkins no sweets no white's "bread rice crackers potato's and such" no fast food use 2% milk instead whole, lean cut's of meat,vegetables, you know just common sense. I used shelled peanuts for snacks.

given the choice between,

1. diet

or

2.eating whatever  like and geting lots of regular exersise,

i take option 2 everytime.

if i want to eat something theres no saveing it,

ho-hos and ding dongs live in fear in my town  8-)

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 09/12/07 at 19:41:07

What are the main differences between this scaling smaller and scaling bigger?  I mean if Steve has said to scale the WO larger and not the Wo32.....  What dimensions did you use to scale this?  Did you use the overall 32 inches or did you scale it to fit the Vas of the driver?  I'm thinking about trying another scaled wo32 and this time scaling it to the Vas of the driver.  V-a$$ is important you know LOL maybe they call that a whale tail now.  

If Vas is to V-a$$ as a jockey is to a nascar driver then smaller is almost always better!!! LOL

Like my Syllological statement?

HD

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 09/12/07 at 22:45:50

Hellion DarkLord wrote on 09/12/07 at 19:41:07:
What are the main differences between this scaling smaller and scaling bigger?  I mean if Steve has said to scale the WO larger and not the Wo32.....  What dimensions did you use to scale this?  Did you use the overall 32 inches or did you scale it to fit the Vas of the driver?  I'm thinking about trying another scaled wo32 and this time scaling it to the Vas of the driver.  V-a$$ is important you know LOL maybe they call that a whale tail now.  

If Vas is to V-a$$ as a jockey is to a nascar driver then smaller is almost always better!!! LOL

Like my Syllological statement?

HD

i scaled it similar to the difference in percentage of a 10 to a 6.5 inch driver 65%? i dunno it 21 inches wide i think? and half way thru the build i realized id missed some of the lines where the panels should sit by a good bit, so its scaled badly and built badly and it sounds great. im sure if we ran test tones thru it it would be very incaccurate.....or maybe not Wink

my real wo32 was stupid good, did everything perfect. if you have never built a rel wo32 i do that first. with 10" drivers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print