04/19/24 at 22:13:55 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PLATE WISH LIST (Read 108340 times)
Brian
Ex Member

Re: PLATE WISH LIST
Reply #50 - 09/18/03 at 02:53:59

Thanks Chrisby,  I knew many people used SS sub amps with their Tube main amps but I had never heard whether it sounded good or bad.  I am glad to hear I was wrong to assume it must sound bad.  I always like to save money.  

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/18/03 at 05:22:21

Brian:  I'm sure lots of folks would argue against it, but my point was really that the power requirements for a sub amp usually dictate either large power supply transformer and substantial heat sinking with SS devices, and/or even larger iron and PP if tubed.  

Potential parts cost notwithstanding, there just isn't a lot of space in the 6x10x2 format of the plate series that Steve is proposing.  Of course the ZenMaster would be best to answer that question

Brad - that's a lot of wire, connectors and solder points for a
"purist" device.   Grin Grin  

But seriously, our friend Ed has recently got his-self excited all over again about the CG buffered passive "pre".  That might worth a serious listen - a whole lot less money than any TVC and just idiosyncratic enough to appeal to a lot of us.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 09/18/03 at 23:05:32

chrisby,
 The signal only passes through one wire at a time.  There are multiple wires because the transformer volume controls "autoformers" are basically just multi-tapped transformers - one wire per tap.  When adjusting the volume know you are basically just switching from one set of input taps to another.
The desing is quite simplistic, though building it looks not to be - that's allot of soldering!  

In total the signal passes through connectors, the volume switch, some wire, and from the input to output tap of the autoformer.  No resistors, no capacitors, no tubes.

Btw, besides S&B, Sowter seems like a mfg'er making good attenuation transformers (TVC's), though like S&B they are not cheap (~$150ea) ...

http://www.sowter.co.uk/attens.htm

... and another rave review thereof ...
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/18762.html

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 09/22/03 at 17:01:51

What about venturing into pro audio and offering Zen plate Mic preamps?  I'd love to be able to make a Zen recording someday.

Dave

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 10/15/03 at 01:41:44

Ya know what I think would be really really cool for us tinkerers.  What if you made plates for various stages of an amp, say a input, a driver, then an output, and a separate power supply plate.  What a guy could do is sub values of resistors and caps for various tubes used, say you like a 6SN7 as an input tube better than the 6922, change a few components to make it work, and you have it mated to a SV83 SET output.  Or say you wanted a push pull output for more power, you could connect this to the existing stages and have a drop in output replacement.

Another plate amp I would like to see happen is a active crossover, of two and three way.

I have seen amps build to where you could change out tubes and set switches and your off, what I am proposing is more like a plate set where you switch out plates and hardware it together.  Like one chassic three plates.

One think I like about separate power supplies is that you can mod it to death and make it as beefy as you want.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 10/24/03 at 21:01:28

Hey steve. do you have plans for a 5 channel line stage pre. I think this will satisfy the 5 channel HT users out there. if you can, you can just build a 3 channel version, so we can purchase (1) 3 channel plus (1) 2 channel to fit our needs.
I for one believe that there is a sonic difference between just connecting your HT Pre amp directly to your Amp VERSUS putting in a line stage between pre and power. now, most of the HT users uses SS gear, this "add one" is a refreshing idea and may really improve the dynamics and impact of the system.
just my 02 cents

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/31/03 at 01:10:33

Found another source for DIY TVC's ... Wish I could pull all these TVC msg's to their own discussion thread.

http://www.audio-consulting.ch/DIYPot.htm

btw, forget the Antique Sound Labs Passive Ti (tvc based) preamp, at least for your MAIN system.  While it's good sounding for the money, and would be good for an intro or budget system or for a second/bedroom system, it DOES NOT sound better than the ZTPRE - which is probably no surprise. I've been listening to one I picked up on Audiogon with my Sony DVP-NS999ES SACD player and the SV83M amps.  

Hovever, I don't think the ASL Ti is necessarily indicative of the TVC idea/technology, and it's potential, on the whole.

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 10/31/03 at 07:28:39

A vacuum tube audio amp for my television is what I would like next.  I believe it ought to be monophonic to avoid creating soundstage events off screen, disconnected from the picture.  A mono version of the SE84c may fit onto this new plate chassis, I don't know.  

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 11/18/03 at 02:14:59

-How about amps using 845, 572, or 833A, tubes? Muscle madness.

-A tubed output stage for the the Behringer:
 -ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496  This would make the ultimate DAC, allowing digital room correction and e.q. I am buying one of these one day, tube output stage or no tube utput stage. Read about it here: http://www.behringer.ca/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DEQ2496&lang=eng
-ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496  For those who want to bi, or triamplify.
http://www.behringer.ca/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=dcx2496&lang=eng

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 11/23/03 at 17:05:28

Or how about a simple tubed DAC with AES/EBU and Digital coax imputs.  That way guys like me could use it on the Behringer stuff and others could add it to their favorite transport. The Art Audio DAC might be a good building block.

Thanks

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 01/05/04 at 08:20:26

How about a simple Push Pull amp based on the SV83?  Or a SET amp using the Svetlana 6AS7?  I have often wondered what this tube would sound like in a SET amp, no one is using this tube like this that I am aware of.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 01/07/04 at 20:32:25

- i'd like to see a DAC w/ tube output stage, BUT the DAC having both OPTICAL and COAX based inputs. does anyone here seen one of this type around ?. Steve, maybe you are the first to offer this.

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 01/30/04 at 23:50:42

Please Please build a kit for a headphone amp. or a version of the zsp1 that has a headphone out also. I would love to get some of that zen decware sound in my bedroom, (where there is no hope of decent sound with conventional speakers.)

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 02/24/04 at 18:03:29

Don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Please build a low cost power conditioner!
It will improve the sound of all components and the whole system.   I mean, what good is a world class headphone amp without clean power? ... you'll just hear more of the grundge! Smiley

Maybe make separate circuits for each component -
cdp, pre, amp - assuming the conditioning needs for
said components differ.

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 02/27/04 at 17:57:47

Steve's principles on product development appears to be quite simple: He'll only market it if he thinks he has a chance of it being the best at that price point. It's a very reasonable and admirable one I guess and it's demonstrated by the absence of a Zen turntable. Another example is in the ZSLA1 instruction manual regarding line conditioners:

"To date the only line conditioners we know of that make a profound difference are made by PS Audio." My guess is that if he were to develop a line conditioner the PS Audio would be his performance aim point. My hope is that he'll be able to achieve that at half the price... Cheesy

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 03/06/04 at 15:40:32

what about a vacuum tube tuner? i dont know about the difficulty of making an affordable tuner, but i do know that affordable audiophile tuners are about as rare as four leaf clovers, esp. tubed ones. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 03/21/04 at 06:17:38

How about a tube amp that matches the zen but has a high dampening factor so it can be used on the woofer section in a biamp setup.

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 03/21/04 at 17:30:59

With the right drivers the Zen should have no problem driving the woofers in a biamp setup.  Adding copious feedback to increase damping would take away a lot of the zen magic.

Dave

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/23/04 at 05:07:48

I am not so worried about the zen magic below 300hz.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 03/30/04 at 01:23:25

A "hybrid" Zen amp with SV83 tube based channel for the mids/highs and a Tripath Technologies "chip amp" for the low end.  It would have a built in active crossover of course with the normal adjustments, phase, level, crossover, etc.
The objective is to get some slamming bass with good integration but not touching the sound of the Zen mids/highs

This comment is interesting even though we don't know the context of his opinion. Speakers, previously owned amps, etc....

"A good tube pre, feeding a Tripath amp gets everything right, musically correct,zero even order distortion, and the 12AU7 getting all the sonic goodies just right, while still retaining the magic,with no tube hassle. All of the good, none of the bad... Best combo I have yet owned."

http://java.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=41679&highlight=griffin&sessio...

We've heard the "tubes are dead" cry before.  However, I would think its worth investigating.  You never know where those "Zen" discoveries will lead you. Smiley I hear you can get free chip samples from Tripath.

IP Logged
Joe_C
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 09/20/04 at 21:14:05

A phono stage, a phono stage, and a phono stage Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  Not necessarily a plate kit but a kit none the less.

IP Logged
barfind
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 10/17/04 at 10:35:45

A tUBED DAC ABLE TO PUT OUT ABOUT 3VOLTS

NIGEL

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 10/18/04 at 21:36:17

What about the no brainer phono stage? I've not forgotten.

(I second the idea of MM is fine)

Think, phono stage, phono stage, phono stage 8)

Karl

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 10/18/04 at 21:37:50

and while I'm at it, don't forget about the phono stage idea.

Thanks! Grin
Karl

IP Logged
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 01/02/05 at 17:57:18

Hello from Albuquerque NM....just joined and this is my first post.  I am anxiously waiting for my SE84C kits to arrive.  But, to the point of this thread, I vote for a 2 or 3 way crossover.

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 01/05/05 at 03:05:59

So we are looking at these options

Headphone amp
phono preamp
sv83 PP amp
Sub amp
Mic preamp
line conditioner
tube dac

I may have missed one.  I personaly think the phono pre, headphone amp, or a DAC are the best ideas.  Mabey we should put it to a vote

IP Logged
WEEZ
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 01/07/05 at 01:48:47

I'm new here, so maybe I'm off base, but a phono amp w/ standard mm 47k input; required gain (40db?- probably requires 12AX7's?); 2v output; optional volume control for those who want to drive an amp directly.

2nd choice (while I'm at it  ;D) a tube dac; 2v output; again- optional volume control for CD-only guys.

Make 'em look just like Plates (and/or CSP's).

3rd choice (hell, I'm on a roll here  :P) a line router with 4 inputs and 2 outputs (MAD has one). Imagine: Phono on input #1; Tuner on input#2; Tape Deck on input #3 (yeah, tape deck  :o); and CD (or dac) on input #4. Then on output #1: your Plate pre or CSP); and on output #2: your headphone amp or a line to your tape deck. (output switchable)

What about it?  

(this is fun..)

WEEZ

IP Logged
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 01/11/05 at 15:42:29

A nice adc would be great for those of us that like to record.  I'm still using my open reels....or was....they are all packed now...

Or...a nice tube mic preamp...

IP Logged
porchman
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 01/16/05 at 14:34:55

I wish the plate had not increased in price so much. $250 is much less of a DIY venture than $380.  But I guess good sound is for the well funded. I'm wondering what part(s) experienced that dramatic of an increase.

IP Logged
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 01/18/05 at 13:50:38

how about a balanced phono stage and/or line stage?

rt

IP Logged
sargeantbargearse
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 03/01/05 at 17:19:25

A dac that accepts a usb input would be great.  Hook the computer straight to the dac and on to the radials.

craig

IP Logged
infinity
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 03/25/05 at 23:05:38

[quote author=chrisby link=board=ZPLATE&num=1061610565&start=0#3 date=08/23/03 at 02:27:16]
active tube XO / line d

Chrisby, why would you want to have an active tube crossover. Would't "MORE PARTS IN THE SIGNAL PATH" muddy up the sound and "DESTROY DETAIL" ? Regards, Jerry

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 04/02/05 at 18:08:00

[quote author=WEEZ  link=1061610565/75#76 date=1105062527]I'm new here, so maybe I'm off base, but a phono amp w/ standard mm 47k input; required gain (40db?- probably requires 12AX7's?); 2v output; optional volume control for those who want to drive an amp directly.

WEEZ [/quote]

Weez,

At one point there was a "no brainer phono preamp" on the bleeding edge of release along the lines of your wish list, which is along the lines of my wish list, also. ¡Yo quiero!

I'm not sure if it was a plate project or not, but the idea vanished, like a midsummer night's dream.

I hereby revive that dream.

Karl

IP Logged
WEEZ
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 04/02/05 at 21:03:10

If a headphone amp fits on the same chassis as a CSP; one would think that a phono amp would fit also.

Maybe it's difficult from a noise standpoint?

WEEZ

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 04/06/05 at 05:59:00

Weez,

My understanding was that the "no brainer phono preamp" was very near release, but that there was a hum problem that plagued the final design.

Karl

IP Logged
hellagood
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 11/15/05 at 02:53:08

A plate mount tube sub amp, as a few folks mentioned.

IP Logged
dheming
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 02/07/06 at 20:26:40

I wish for a ZenMic pre kit.  Because of budget constraints many people who have project studios at home use one of the many cheap ($40-$200) micpre's that are out there.  A lot of these units that do have a tube in them often sound like crap when the gain is turned up or they add a bunch of noise (or both).  A single channel, balanced (XLR) ZenMic kit would be a big hit with both home and pro recordists.  Phantom power would be nice, a good VU meter would be useful, and a unity setting could be helpful for inserting into effects loops.  With such a huge market in the recording business I can see this unit easily becoming Decware's primary product if it is as high quality as everything else that you guys make.  I'm sure that once word got out professional studios would buy them up like hotcakes.  Such a product could put Decware on the radars of a lot more people out there.

IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 03/13/06 at 19:54:52

wish for  a 3 channel plate kit. need to "tube" a home theater rig  :)

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 03/16/06 at 21:57:46

Hey, so WHAT ever DID happen to that no brainer phono pre? that was several months ago...  ???

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #89 - 04/19/06 at 17:35:28

A 240volt Z box

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #90 - 12/13/06 at 15:13:58

[quote author=slappomatt  link=1061610565/75#88 date=1142546266]Hey, so WHAT ever DID happen to that no brainer phono pre? that was several months ago...  ??? [/quote]

Ditto!

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 12/28/06 at 01:46:00

I bet the proposed *no-brainer phono-pre* was transmorgraphied into the new ZP3 phono stage. And, by the way, if the ZP3 is better than my older version ZP.1, then it's a heck of nice phono stage!

A nice plate project would be an active tube x-over for subs Wink

Karl

IP Logged
Hasafraker
Verified Member

Reply #92 - 07/07/09 at 17:21:48

as I am currently wraping up my ZKIT1 I will probably move onto the ZSP1 so I have something to compare to my current setup.

I am seriously looking for a DAC, I don't care either way if it has a tube output stage or not as price would be the biggest concern. Inputs would need optical and digital, usb would be a bonus but not required as I rarely have a pc in my listening area. I've been digging through the DAC kits that I've found online and they are all over the place price wise, more research is needed I think.

Phono stage, I'm very interested in this, I've been looking at tables lately as the wife has a rather large collection that is just collecting dust in her parents attic. So this is almost definitely on the list most likely around the end of the year.

My ZKIT1 is finished an OMFG is it awesome, I've been thinking about it, ZSP1 is most likely next, but truth be told a ZSP1+ that had 1 aux input and a phono stage... I'd be through trying to decide if I will take the plunge. If That became a reality, you would have to sign me up.

pwells~

SE84DIY w/cce mod, ZSP1, VSPS DIY phono stage w/separate psu, Sansui SR-525 Turntable, Nagaoka MP-100 mm cart, Tekton Design 8.1's 97db@1w, all cables and interconnects DIY. Now we're cookin Wink
WWW hasafraker hasafraker   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print