Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:13:14 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Hell, those aren't big ! (Read 159222 times)
Terry
Ex Member

Re: Hell, those aren't big !
Reply #100 - 01/15/03 at 04:25:10

I'm flattered  :o

P.S. I am in desparate need of photo's Steve, otherwise I am affraid my enthusiasm will diminish Embarrassed   Can you post one of how you mounted the driver to the horn?

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #101 - 01/15/03 at 06:11:13

hmmmm, im thinking horn tweeks now, wax, crisco, jelly... Grin

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #102 - 01/15/03 at 12:25:12

[quote author=thedude  link=1040842968&amp/90#101 date=1042611073]
hmmmm, im thinking horn tweeks now, wax, crisco, jelly... Grin
[/quote]

Would that be surfboard wax for that "California sound", or "Olde English Furniture Polish" fo that laid-back British sound?  :o Shocked Shocked

The mis-matched driver discussion reminds me of an experience in my early stages of Audiophilia Nervosa:  I was in one the local "Stereo Super Stores" (that was actually it's NAME!) listening to the then top of the line Polk speakers.  They were gigantic pseudo-planar speakers 4'x6' covered with 4" drivers.  I was A-B testing them with Polk's second from the top speakers (slightly smaller but same basic configuration) and neither one sounded particularly astounding.  Funny thing was, when I had both sets playing the tonal quality took a huge jump up.  It seemed the uneven interaction of the different drivers produced something closer to "real" than all the matched sets.

Perhaps the brain knows that sounds from natural sources are essentially unevenly spread across the device producing them.  Most of the sound from a guitar comes from the sound box, but there are still discernable sounds coming from the strings on the neck.  The sound waves of a piano are spread across a finite distance within the instrument, those waves resonate from the body of the piano with different nodes and they also bounce off of, and resonate with, the lid.

The human ear (and the brain that process the information) is very spatially sensitve.  I suggest that this sensitivity and the processing that goes along with it are what's responsible for our perception of a "real" instrument.  Perhaps the mis-matched drivers in the Imperials (I bet you were wondering when I'd get back to that!  ;) ) helps simulate the physical size of an instrument BECAUSE of the different sonic qualities of those drivers.

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 01/15/03 at 12:47:00

Continued...

This argument could also lend support to the debate on microphone placement: close or far.  Close micing generally exludes the parts of the instrument that are farthest away from the mic.  A mic that is farther away will capture most or all of the sounds coming from the instrument, but without the emphasis of one source over any other.  Hopefully the artist is getting what they want from what's being recorded or broadcast.

In the end it doesn't suprise me that mismatched drivers lend a more natural sound in this design.  Maybe Steve should PLAN on having 2 different drivers in the final design, if that's what sounds best!

Got a question about those wood lenses.  When you notched the back of the plywood to allow for the bend did you cut through all but the last layer of ply?  It sure looks like it from the pictues!  Is plywood usually consistent enough or did you have to make a couple goes at it to get it just right?

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 01/15/03 at 12:53:38

>This argument could also lend support to the debate on microphone placement: close or far.  Close micing generally exludes the parts of the instrument that are farthest away from the mic.  A mic that is farther away will capture most or all of the sounds coming from the instrument, but without the emphasis of one source over any other.<

I am a big fan of Distant micing. Acoustic instruments just sound more natural when the mic is a ways off.
Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #105 - 01/15/03 at 14:07:46

How far you mic an instrument, and how it sounds on play back I feel depends on the play back system.  The better the playback system the better distant mic-ing sounds, but on low fi stuff close micing sounds much better.  Don't even think of asking my why, but I know it is true.  When I go to listen something, I always take a recording that I know most of the instruments are recorded from a distance.  Piano and drums especially take on a spacial property.  Most would feel these are not as good of recordings, but on a good systems they blow all that close mic'd stuff away.  Of course the type of mic used makes a large difference in all of this as well.

TG Grin

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #106 - 01/16/03 at 03:54:08

There is in fact a quantifiable explanation for what you experienced Stevie. It lies somewhere within the realms of fluid dynamics, I remember something similiar(vaguely) about compressible fluid flows and Reynolds numbers, viscosity, surface tension and laminar and turbulent gas flows at subsonic and supersonic speeds through a pipe to a receiver with a proper transducer, enhanced with psychotropic conditioning agents. But, other than that, I can't really say anymore about it.

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #107 - 01/16/03 at 04:01:33

Wax, that is a little over simplified but we will let you slide this time.

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #108 - 01/16/03 at 08:22:56

I do not think the friction approach is the right answer because the music is carried in the sound pressure waves traveling down the pipe not in the rush of air which is what would be dragged by a less slick surface.  

Perhaps the resonant sound in the wood can more readily move into the air through a solid to liquid to gas transformation than by trying to go directly from a solid to the much more rarified gas.  

[I have always wanted to use one of those "lamp of ingenuity" icons]

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #109 - 01/17/03 at 04:42:31

Oh, it's the old resonance magnifaction through a multi-phasic conductance medium theorem, is it. This argument does have some merit, as it is well known. If the forcing frequency is equal to the natural frequency the magnifacation factor can be quite large. But the fundamental is still a coefficient of viscous damping and is not the same as the natural frequency, this of course is a result free vibrations. On the other hand, it's possible the oscillations could be under-damped which of course means there will be a diminishing amplitude of the sound wave at that locus and therefore the resultant noted increase is the result of psycho-acoustic aromatic hydra-tetra-cannibinols that the government has surreptitiously added to the varnish. In any event it's still fluid dynamics..."a less slick surface!!!" They just don't teach techno-babble like they used to..Sigh.

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 01/17/03 at 04:47:58

??? ??? ???
Ah, could you translate that for dummies, please? Or maybe it's just to late in the night, err..., early in the morning for my brain to kick in.
Dave Undecided

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #111 - 01/17/03 at 04:53:47

Trust me David, I know my vibrator's and fluid dynamics.

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #112 - 01/17/03 at 04:55:53

I mean, vibrations and fluid dynamics.

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #113 - 01/17/03 at 14:54:50

Let's try and keep things clean Wax...thanks

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #114 - 01/17/03 at 15:05:44

What wax was trying to say Dave, is that Steve was stoned on varnish fumes...

Jamie

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #115 - 01/17/03 at 16:44:30

There for a minute I thought Ms Wax may have inhaled a bit too much fumes as well. Tongue
Dave Grin

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #116 - 01/18/03 at 00:55:32

[quote author=Terry  link=1040842968&amp/105#105 date=1042639666]
Piano and drums especially take on a spacial property.
[/quote]

I definately agree!

What pains me the most, if they will close mic an instrument and then add reverb and all kinds of filters to add the illusion of "space" to the recording, when they could actually use the acoustics of the room to create the same effect, only in a more realistic sound.

Also, I'm not sure about this one...

Doesn't micing at a distance increase the dynamics of the mic, by not stressing the mic.

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #117 - 01/18/03 at 02:33:47

didnt i mention something about mic tecniques and dumping in digital bullthingy ages ago?

Jamie

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #118 - 01/18/03 at 04:06:12

HAHAHA, I didn't have time to read earwaxes post. Very amusing. Yeah, lets keep in "mind" that our passion for hi-fi is driven by 'illusions' which are sometimes exagerated by chemical influence. Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #119 - 01/18/03 at 04:34:46

[quote author=John_M  link=1040842968&amp/90#103 date=1042634820]

In the end it doesn't suprise me that mismatched drivers lend a more natural sound in this design.  Maybe Steve should PLAN on having 2 different drivers in the final design, if that's what sounds best!

Got a question about those wood lenses.  When you notched the back of the plywood to allow for the bend did you cut through all but the last layer of ply?  It sure looks like it from the pictues!  Is plywood usually consistent enough or did you have to make a couple goes at it to get it just right?
[/quote]

I do plan to have two different drivers in the final design.  It is just working way to well.  It makes it possible to keep this a two-way design.  

As for the wood horns, yes, I cut to the last layer.  The two I built were the first trys.  They are not perfect.  However I know now how to design the jig to make it less painful to build.

Here is a picture of the new 15 inch drivers I got.  I'll take a pic this weekend of the cabinets with the drivers installed.

WWW   IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #120 - 01/18/03 at 06:07:56

Awe come on Steve! Your killin us, what are those drivers.  What brand, what specs, what use in the cabinets.  This teasing has got to stop, now I only want to see more pictures.  I wanta see the wood horns!  Please pics of the wood horns.

TG Grin

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 01/18/03 at 11:33:22

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1040842968&amp/105#119 date=1042864486]

Here is a picture of the new 15 inch drivers I got. .

[/quote]

OOOOHHHHHH!!!!  Pretty!

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 01/18/03 at 16:50:58

They look like JBL's.

IP Logged
steve_f
Ex Member

Reply #123 - 01/18/03 at 20:09:03

Could be JBL, Beyma, P audio.

I'm curious too!

Steve F

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #124 - 01/18/03 at 23:45:51

The woofers are essentially JBL clones made in China and distributed by a European company called Goldwood Sound.  

http://www.gold-wood.com/

I am very impressed so far.  I needed something that was half-way efficient and something that would at least hit 30 Hz.  They are super smooth, and roll off fast so there is no midrange.

WWW   IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #125 - 01/19/03 at 15:32:45

Ok Steve did you pick this speaker outfit because of their cosmic intro graphics?  ;D

I did not see any usable specs on the 15 though. Do they provide TSP's on their pro drivers?

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #126 - 01/21/03 at 19:17:23

This is so cool!

I was showing the pictures of the Decware Imperial Folded Horn to my wife last night and she said "that looks nice, I wouldn't mind that in my home."  Is that great or what?  The Imperials have high WAF!

I am a lucky man! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #127 - 01/22/03 at 15:03:16

thats great John Smiley, did you cover up the background to make them look smaller Tongue, i dotn have the waf to deal with yet, not gonna get married til i meet a woman who approves of this hobby, and i figure if i build a pair before i get married, she wont make me get rid of them, speaking of which, how are those blueprints coming Steve? -Matt

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #128 - 01/22/03 at 15:14:40

I am pretty lucky too! I have WAF appoval for anything i do in my basement, so that means most of my speakers will go up for sale when i build my imperials. She is NOT gonna let me lug my existing speakers upstairs to the bedroom...

http://home.attbi.com/~corpsdriver/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Jamie

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #129 - 01/23/03 at 19:28:43

Steve, have You played Your new push pull amp through Your new Imperial speakers?  How do you like the signature combination?  

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #130 - 01/24/03 at 04:47:24

I am thinking about building a pair of Imperials
since I have access to 3 different cabinet shops.
(use of the equipment + discounted prices on lumber) Smiley

3/4" Birch Ply seems to be very popular for speaker cabs.

Has anybody had experience with staining Birch Ply?
I know some Plywoods just do not look good stained.
Veneers look like they wood be very tough to do on a
Speaker like the Imperials. And Painting them would be
an injustice.

homey

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #131 - 01/24/03 at 05:09:51

Oh do I ever have experience staining burch plywood, learned the hard way you need to use a pre-stain, this way you get an even coating and avoid any blochy spots.  This is my one tip for birch plywood.

TG Grin

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #132 - 01/24/03 at 12:46:28

You can stain birch ply the normal way, but it takes a LOT of fine sanding, and sanding, and sanding. When you get it very smooth, the results can be very good. I like the large contrast in the grain. However, if you have areas that are not quite as smooth as other areas, it will blotch.
Here's my boxes made of birch ply (scroll down to just over half way down).

http://home.fuse.net/randyr/AudioFest6.html

Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Bob J
Ex Member

Reply #133 - 01/24/03 at 18:57:26

I wonder if a dye stain would be better than the pigment based Minwax products. I made the mistake of using Minwax on the Poplar (solid wood) I used on my Hedlunds. Lets just say, I will be painting the wood parts for sure.  ;D

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #134 - 01/24/03 at 20:17:12

Bob,

Do you have pics of you Helunds on the net so that we can gaze in awe?  I thought I sanded real well, and I still got blotchy areas.  Pre-stained helped a lot, another thing I don't like is that most plywood looks like plywood stained, it has a different grain that regular wood.  I like using vineer, it is easy looks nice, and doesn't require a bunch of tools.  you can sand the edges off, that works as good as a router in my opinion, a orbital is better but I have hand sanded before.  Laminet is harder because it is thicker and harder than wood vineer.

Oops! we have hijacked Steves thread.  Sorry Steve.  We should start a thread on the speaker building forum, although this got started by how to finish the Imperial cabinets.  I think putting vineer on them would cost a mint, I wouldn't, and I would use a plywood like Steve used a lighter weight wood, as light as I could get.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #135 - 01/24/03 at 21:33:17

Use 3/4 inch white Melamine particla board for that stark look, and the melamine is bullet proof for little hands that like to use finger paints on your cabinets.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #136 - 01/25/03 at 01:52:58

As far as finishes go, one thing I've thought about is wrapping it with the same vinyl as the guitar amp in the background of this photo.  Probably won't do anything until Spring in the way of finishes.

Here is a small pic of the left cabinet with new drivers installed.  The one on the right is a Peavy Scorpion.

I'm going to start posting about the horns here with pics here shortly.

Cheers,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #137 - 01/25/03 at 02:05:15

Design notes: Jan 2003 - New Imperials

As usual the batteries in my camera are dead so pictures will be forthcoming.  I wanted to take a few shots of the bent wood horn.  I'm still experimenting with it.  At the present time I have a different compression driver in each cabinet.  The one on the right is an audiophile grade unit that goes up to 20K.  The one on the left, is the Selenium that only goes out to 9K, but can be used down to 600 Hz.  

I ended up leaving the left hand one in all this time because it actually sounds much better even though it lacks the top octave. Naturally I've decided the tone and timbre of the left side is something I can't live without but I've got to get more extension in the top.  

Last week I discovered a significant rise in efficiency as I was varnishing the inside of the horn flare.  This improved the situation somewhat with the left compression driver, but it will still have to either be replaced or supplemented with a super tweeter, something I hate to do.

Right now there is a natural balance of current between the three drivers in the cabinet and virtually no crossovers other then a single cap on the compression driver.  Adding another component will probably break the synergy.

Terry and others have been waiting to see details on how the compression drivers are mounted onto these bent wood horns but at this point it's too early to say.  My original idea, which I did, was to use a 3/4 board with a 1-3/8 hole threaded for the driver and mount it directly on the back of the lens.  I used plywood at the time and it proved impossible to thread properly.  Knowing I would have to resort to hardwood, and purchase a 1-3/8 fine thread tap I decided to cost of the tools may be less than ideal for the people planning to build a pair of these.  To cover all the bases I decided to purchase some plastic horn lenses from a surplus catalog and cut the threaded flange off and simply glue it to the back of the bent wood horn.  This is $5.00 verses the price of an expensive tap.  

Tonight I re-installed the left compression driver by using part of a plastic lens as mentioned above.  I cut the lens about 1.5 inches past the threaded collar because the square shape of the plastic lens matched perfectly with the square 1 x 1 inch opening in the back of the bent wood horn.  I knew that the plastic in this high pressure area of the horn would raise the efficiency a bit, and should be technically superior to the original method of mounting the driver directly on the wood.  

Interesting results.  The horn did indeed pick up more efficiency.  In fact with the varnish and now the plastic part, the sensitivity is now almost in danger of needing attenuation.  

Listening test - prior to tonight, the horn on the left always had better tone then the horn on the right.  Now with the plastic piece the entire speaker on the right hand side sounds better then the left.  Prior to this the speaker on the left always sounded better because it has a calculated amounted of stuffing behind the woofers whereas the cabinet on the right does not.

The sound that is coming from the left horn is now unlistenable.  It has that famous "horn" sound that makes you think your at a small live concert with a crappie sound man.  I was surprised that it only took 1.5 inches of plastic to ruin the sound.  Prior to this the horns sounded anything but like a horn, in fact I've been flirting with the idea of replacing my acustats with these speakers - in part because the highs are so good, open, free of any coloration, and non-beaming.

The conclusion is that the high pressure zone directly in front of the diaphragm is full of stress that is compounded by the first couple inches of the lens.  All lenses are smooth, especially there.  Controlled pressure release with pin holes, or specific dampening in the critical area of a horn determines the signature of the horn and effects every other aspect of its parameters.  In the original method using a 3/4 board with the hole drilled in it so that the driver could screw in, the end grain of the plywood that was left because I couldn't thread the driver all the way in.  The end grain absorbed the stress.  

Next step is to restore the original driver mounting and loose the plastic piece.  I knew from past experience that this was the most critical area of building a wood horn lens.  I did not realize however what caused most commercial horn lenses to sound like PA systems until tonight.  My conclusion is that if it is plastic, metal, fiberglass and does not trade a few dB with some carefully designed stress relief at the throat, it will sound like a horn.  My bent wood horns do not sound like a horn, the sound like and in fact better than my electrostats.  This is proof that the "horn" sound is really a byproduct of poor design.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #138 - 01/25/03 at 02:34:16

A follow up to the above post:

I left the 1-1/2 inch plastic horn piece fixed to the back of my bent wood horn all week.  Each night when I go out in the shop I tried to listen to it.  Never made it past 4 minutes during any one night.  It is amazing how it has ruined the sound of the entire speaker.  

I have pondered the GIANT change in sound all week.  I have to admit that when I first hooked up the bent wood horns and listened (with the driver screwed into the wood) I was a little surprised that it had ZERO "horn" sound.  And also amazed at the absence of a beam and complete lack of peaks anywhere in it's response.  Over the past month, I have come to respect them to the point where I'm thinking they're better than my electrostatics.  Then my little mod with the plastic threaded extension and what I am hearing is the definition of the "horn" sound multiplied by at least four!

I realized that it is also the fact that the plastic throat is too close to parallel for proper wave expansion and is so on both the horizontal and the vertical.  To hear what this does to sound, just make a 10 inch diameter tube from poster board and tape it to the front of the woofer on your loudspeaker.  What you hear is a few octaves lower than a compression driver obviously, but the signature is the same.

I studied the plastic throat carefully and realized that most inexpensive horn lens are made this way, and that is where the "horn" signature got it's reputation.  Then I pondered why?  Surely they can't be this stupid...  oh, perhaps it's because it develops about a 10 dB peak at 800 Hz and gives the illusion that it's kicking some real ass when in fact it's not.

Anyway, it was an epiphany for me, I gained a deeper understanding of how critical the first 1 to 3 inches of the throat is and now understand why the bent wood horns originally sounded like QUAD electrostatics rather than like compression drivers.  Now I know how to make sure they stay that way.  I also realized that many people might make a lens similar to these and conclude that they suck because they improperly mated the compression driver to the throat...

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #139 - 01/25/03 at 02:41:44

This is a picture of the "evil" plastic thoat.  To kill the "horn" sound it made, I cut the threaded part off and sanded it until I had a threaded collar.  This way the outlet of the compression driver mates directly with the wood throat.  The 1 x 1 opening is carefully rolled into a dish shape to maintain a smooth transition from the outlet of the driver to the throat of the wood horn.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #140 - 01/25/03 at 02:48:00

Here is a pic showing the 3/4 board used to receive the collar as well as hold the back of the horn up.  Setting beside it is the "evil" plastic throat that this system replaces.

Woops, another damn picture... by now I'm sure modem users are well, less then happy!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #141 - 01/25/03 at 02:57:14

Hey Steve my Altec 811's and 511's have a slight chamber opening up just after of the beginning of the throat and it is not a casting anomally but actually part of the design. I wonder what this was designed for? Take a gander at the pics and take a shot at it.

http://home.internetcds.com/~adaatdh/511_top.JPG
http://home.internetcds.com/~adaatdh/511_side.JPG

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #142 - 01/25/03 at 02:59:54

This project is fascinating!  
Back on pg 4 Steve, you said: "acoustic bass on this speaker simply wastes Pauls 200 watt CLASS A all tube bass rig - also using 2 15 inch drivers. Imagine that for a minute. Imagine an acoustic bass growling with textured low notes that are tight and powerful enough to make a good sounding electric bass sound stupid. Well, this is what is happening."

This has lead me to wonder, has Paul played his bass amp through the Imperial cabinet?  I guess a road crew would not be willing to lug such a thing around on a tour, but it might be a nice choice set up in a long term installation in a night club where a performer was returning night after night.  

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #143 - 01/25/03 at 03:05:52

As a DSL user I am very very happy.  I was wondering how it all would fit together.  Steve I can't remember how low can the wood horn go in frequency of hertz?  Is this an exponential or tractrix curve?  This is a interesting learning experience much like some of the things I have gone through.  Where is your crossover point?

TG Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #144 - 01/25/03 at 03:45:43

[quote author=Albert  link=1040842968&amp/135#141 date=1043463434]
Hey Steve my Altec 811's and 511's have a slight chamber opening up just after of the beginning of the throat and it is not a casting anomally but actually part of the design. I wonder what this was designed for? Take a gander at the pics and take a shot at it.

[/quote]

It rotates the wave front 90 degrees from V to H.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
chrisb
Ex Member

Reply #145 - 01/25/03 at 03:49:29

nice job on the HF horns, Steve - still pulling those slivers out?

the resolution on my monitor's not fine enough to see, did you use kerfcore or timberflex- or table saw the kerfs in solid or ply?

As for finishing birch ply, my own personal tip is seal (wash) coat of solvent based lacquer, sand, spray pigment based stain of choice, followed by  3 -4 spray coats of pre-catalyzed nitro-cellulose lacquer, hand sanding between coats, progressively to 400G.
Better yet, laminate with cherry, walnut, maple, mahogany, beech, almost any quality veneer. Birch can be either really boring, or have tons of patches, poorly matched cathedral patterns, color variations  and mineral stains.

Once fully cured the better of today's lacquers are almost bulletproof, and never need touch-ups for gloss like oils or waxes do.  Of course any finish can be damaged .

Of course you could always go P-lam (which can be harder to work with than veneer, and never as pretty)  Obviously I've got some strong opinions here.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/TLS/FALL/images/Hugos-TL-pipes.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/t-linespeakers/FALL/images/BD-Pipes-FE103A.jpg

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #146 - 01/25/03 at 04:58:41

My wife likes the natural wood grain.  Maybe a simple clear urethane?  Hard to tell from the pictures how good that would look. Undecided

IP Logged
bmar
Ex Member

Reply #147 - 01/25/03 at 05:31:27

Nice looking project. You can also buy an adaptor that has female threads for a screw on driver to a bolt on pattern horn flare. This adaptor could then be mounted directly to your horn throat, eliminating any straight sided throat transition.
If you make a throat you might try a 12-16 degree angle for that short section. The conical throat section will help to eliminate peaking too.

Bill

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #148 - 01/25/03 at 07:25:00

Chris,

Was that vineer you used on your little bypolar VP's?  How do you router it on the 45's at the corners?

Steve,

What you discribed you experienced sound very similar to what I have experienced.  The best speaker I have ever heard was a Sounddesign A-1, a nearly 7' tall by 2.5' wide electrostac pannel.  The times I have heard horns done well, along with Lowthers in the Oris 150 horn, they both sounded similar.  Which to me seems strange.  I guess they have some similarities, one is that both are moving air by means of a diaphragm that is moving moving just milimeters at most.

To me the advantage of the horn is the simplest circuits you can couple it to, SET amplifiers.  This is horn driver thing is becoming more interesting by the moment.  

TG Grin

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #149 - 01/25/03 at 15:30:01

I have GOT to dig out my lenses, and take some pics to see what you guys think. i want to use them with my "Crown Imperial" project. but new drivers are WAY spendy...

Jamie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print