Caintuck Audio He Shed (Read 222 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Caintuck Audio He Shed
05/14/19 at 02:04:59

I always presumed that when I reached the "golden years" my life would be somewhat simpler ..... less complicated.

Hoo boy .....

It seems that my family is quickly moving toward what is quickly becoming one version of the "typical" American family ..... with two or three generations living under one roof, sometimes even more.

For the past few years, my daughter (early 30s) and her two sons (late teens) have been residing with us ..... and we are now in the process of moving my son (late 30s), his fiance and his six year old daughter and three year old son in as well .....

Now, this information is not meant as a complaint ..... since I love them all dearly and things might well change in the near future ..... or not .....

The point of all of this is that even though we have a pretty good sized home, something had to give to accommodate all of these warm bodies ..... and my current listening room and man cave are being re-purposed as bedrooms for the new additions.

What to do ? What to do ?

I recently saw a TV commercial for an insurance company that involved a "she shed" in the policy holder's back yard ..... so it occurred to me that this might be an option for me.
Not a "she shed", but a "he shed" dedicated to audio.

So, I ordered a 12' x 16' "garden shed" with a vaulted ceiling and have been working on it for the past few weeks.
Several of my friends are in various building trades, so running electric wasn't a problem and I will be having a "mini split" system installed to take care of the HVAC duties.

Here are a few photos of the results .....

I decided to use some diffuser panels that are based on plans from the Decware website from several years ago ..... a fresh coat of paint and they look pretty fine and work very well.

Sheer curtains added to the remaining windows

The windows are double pane, the entire structure is insulated and the sub-floor is 2" x 6" (12" on center) with 3/4" plywood.

Initial listening sessions are good ..... with a little fine tuning the sound should be very good.

I am very happy with the results and this will provide a nice "sanctuary" for me if things get too crazy on occasion in the "big house" .....

As always ..... I welcome visitors. So, if any of the forum readers find themselves in northern Kentucky (near Cincinnati, OH) ..... please drop in for a visit. Just let me know a day or two in advance and I will roll out the red carpet .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus turntable
AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC / tablet
Decware Model SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles and Alpha bass baffles
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Re: Caintuck Audio He Shed
Reply #1 - 05/14/19 at 03:01:05

That is awesome, Randy! He shed indeed!!!  What a cool getaway/audio room. Great job and congratulations. You should be very proud!

SE84UFO - 25th Mods
ZDSD DAC
PS Audio DSD JR
Cambridge Audio CXC
ZBIT inQ
ZLC
Lonely Raven Audio PC
Technics PL 1210MK5 - KAB Mods
ZP3 - 25th Mods
Teac A-3300SR R2R
Caintuck Audio Betsy Baffles-Alnico
(2) 12" Alpha Bass Baffles
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/14/19 at 12:40:24

Randy,

That looks like a fantastic respite and listening room.  Congratulations on adapting to life and making the most of it.

Well Done.

JD

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/19 at 14:32:09

Randy,
That looks awesome and a great idea. This way no one will tell you to turn it down.
Also I like your table.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 05/14/19 at 14:45:07

Thanks guys .....

Deuce,
The equipment stand was something that popped into my head when I saw some untreated Douglas Fir 4 x 4s at the local Lowe's Hardware.
I expected that it would be pretty heavy and massive ..... but after getting it put together it was too heavy for me to move by myself.

Thank goodness for one of those teenage grandsons mentioned in my initial post .....  

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus turntable
AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC / tablet
Decware Model SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles and Alpha bass baffles
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print