Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/19/19 at 18:02:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone else built or bought one of these? (Read 52 times)
archeion
Verified Member

Has anyone else built or bought one of these?
05/10/19 at 23:56:57

I have been following Decware for many years and love that they still support the DIY side of the audio hobby even though it probably doesn't make them as much money.  I built a  Decware Deathbox sub in college and later a pair of SE84C clones that I love. They don't get much playtime with a child and no dedicated listening space.  This looks like a fun project!  If anyone else has tried this, please let me know.  Any tips?  How does it sound?  What did you pair it with?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Has anyone else built or bought one of these?
Reply #1 - 05/11/19 at 22:21:13

Decware has proven that they are a tube loving group as only one Zkit60 has been sold to date.  Quite a surprise to everyone involved.  The amp itself sounds wonderful, nothing less would be allowed on the Decware site.  The same amplifier, assembled and in a different chassis (not as nice - much smaller heat sinks), is selling quite well under the SET120 name on the Audio by VanAlstine web site.  The same basic design has also inspired a higher power SET400 and a fully differential  SET600 mono block.

The only tip I have is buy your own chassis, more than likely from China on Ebay.  This will get you what you want (0, 1, or 2 volume controls) and save you some shipping.  The original chassis is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-aluminum-both-sides-radiator-amplifier-chassis-a...

If you prefer a smaller chassis, a "2412" style can also be used, but is a little tighter inside and requires the PCB's to be mounted "mirror image" (one up side down) on the heat sinks so there is room for the transformer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2412C-Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-mini-AMP-case-power-ampli...

If you build one and it fails to work it can be sent to me for repair at a reasonable rate.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print