Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/22/19 at 14:24:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
90db and 6 Ohms do the job? (Read 828 times)
gingerly
Verified Member

90db and 6 Ohms do the job?
04/14/19 at 01:48:07

Prospective new Zen Triode owner here, wondering if my Nola Contender speakers (which measure 90db sensitivity and 6 Ohms fairly flat across the frequency range) might play well together in my smaller listening room.
Carl Marchisotto, the designer, LOVES tubes, so I'm leaning toward them possibly being quite compatible?

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: 90db and 6 Ohms do the job?
Reply #1 - 04/14/19 at 13:21:30

Let me gingerly attempt to answer your question. I recall using Von  Schweikert monitors that were not all that efficient, maybe 89 dB. Then I also used Decware Trapeziums which are also 89 dB. Both were used with a 2watt Zen. The key is that you have a return policy for the amp if it doesn’t drive your speakers to your liking. Just try it.

MINI TORII ANNIVERSARY MODIFIED; SE84UFO; ZSTAGE; MONOLITH SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
55   IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/19 at 13:23:38

I've listened to the zen with Nola boxers in my living room and while it was good, the Nola's seemed to like an amp with a smidge more power and dampening. I'd look at some of decwares pp designs and talk w steve for sure. The contenders are great!

IP Logged
gingerly
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/19 at 17:34:29

Good point about the eval period Mr. Ranch.

slop,

I LOVE my Contenders, and listened to many speakers (including the Boxers), including ones thousands of dollars more, and ones much more lauded (mid-range Harbeth, etc.).

Is the Zen Integrated (SE34I.5) a different circuit, or just two Super Zen Triodes (SE84UFO)?

I will definitely plan to talk to Steve.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/19 at 22:42:10

Hi Gingerly.

I used to drive my 91dB, 4-ohm B&W's with my SE84UFO quite fine.  Before upgrading it to the SE84UFO25, I wanted to try it with my 88.5dB, 8-ohm ProAc's and even though it was not giving me kidney-stone removing volume, it is more than satisfactory!  With these amps, there is so much detail that you really do not want to crank it up anyway.  So if the specs of your speakers are true to the published specs (you'd never know in this industry if producers are providing the correct specs), I would say any Zen Triode amp would be more than enough to give you satisfactory volume levels.  My experience with the SE84UFO25 is even better; so my B&W's are not seeing any playing time anymore.

You need to consider one more thing though.  Whereas the EL84/SV83-based amps by Decware need 1.5V to reach full output, the EL34-based Rachael would need 2.5V.  So the latter would be happier seeing a source with higher gain.  In other words, a 2V-output source like a standard CD player might not feed the Rachael properly; so you would like a buffer stage or preamp before it.  

Of course, Steve would be giving you much more precise responses; definitely you should talk to him...

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini with Roon, Rega RP6, Rotel RCD-1070 & Marantz CD6005; Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215; Decware SE84UFO25 & Copland CTA405; ProAc D28 & B&W DM630; Stein and BlackNoise filters; DH Labs power, interconnect and speaker cables
  IP Logged
gingerly
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/19 at 23:28:30

Alper,

My DAC puts out 2v, so I think I will be OK. Listening will be primarily ripped/hi-res digital, with some vinyl.

Thanks everyone! I put in my order. I'll report back how it works out! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print