Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/18/18 at 21:10:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cabinet material for DNA horn (Read 340 times)
Andy P
Verified Member

Cabinet material for DNA horn
12/01/18 at 18:53:20

Hi, I am determining the material for making a set of these speakers, I have access to 3/4 solid maple and cherry, plained and glued - straight.  If I used this for the sides front and back and then 1/2" either birch ply or MDF, does anyone see a problem in that affecting the sound? In looking at some pictures of some of the builds, it looks like people are using 3/4 for the outside panels and 1/2 in for the interior partitions.  Thanks for your help!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Cabinet material for DNA horn
Reply #1 - 12/01/18 at 19:02:08

Andy, I think that you are right on track. The outside panels of this cabinet can pretty much be as thick as you want, but not thinner than 1/2". The fact that you have Solid maple, suggests that it would serve just fine for the baffle, as used in pianos. The cherry may be better served for the sides, as it's density might a bit less than the hard/tiger/spalted/curly maple. As you might have already guessed, each wood has it's own set of qualities. I suspect that you are a wood worker and have that appreciation already.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/18 at 19:43:53

Thanks for your comment! I have the hots to saw some wood.. I think I will be able to make these and will let you know how they come out and post photos. The wood is from old table tops, Ethan Allen, so very nice American cherry and maple.  And it's free.

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/18 at 21:20:52

OK, another question! If I use 3/4 material on the sides, the drawing says the material is 1/2", that would make the width of the interior per the drawing 7" since they specify the exterior width only, being 8"
. If I have 3/4 material, should I maintain the 7" interior and make the overall width 7 +3/4 +3/4 = 8.5?  I hope that makes sense.  Seems like the interior volume has been carefully calculated, guessing.  Thanks!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 12/01/18 at 22:05:28

The easy way to do this, is to cut all of your 1/2" MDF Interior pieces to 7" width first. I just ran a bunch of MDF through at the same time, making my widths exactly the same. THEN I cut the rough lengths for each piece (X2, one for each speaker) and labelled them. Finally, I cut the correct angles for each piece.
Yes, you are correct about the dimensions too. That is, Nothing changes on the inside measurements, but The Completed outside measurements will be wider just because of the extra thickness of the panels.

Let me know if this makes the right sense to you.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/18 at 22:15:12

YES, very helpful. Thanks.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 12/01/18 at 23:15:54

Andy,
 Of course, you are obligated to show the results of your efforts in this venture, especially since you are using decent materials;) Will you be using the Alpair 10P drivers, or another driver instead? Personally, I find the 10P to be a great choice, where I will adjust the treble for my wretched hearing.

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/02/18 at 05:57:22

Hi, I am planning to use the Alpair 10P drivers.  Open to other suggestions, however, I believe I saw a post on this site where Steve put most of the available choices through testing and this one was deemed the best. I am looking for pictures of completed speakers if anyone can send links, that would be great.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 12/02/18 at 14:39:47

Why not scale up the plans and make some DNA2's?
They are more better.  :D

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 12/02/18 at 17:00:36

Andy,

This isn't complete, but it gets the idea across. ZOB in the rear. DNA in front. The room arrangement was just for the breaking in of the drivers.

PB280002_001.JPG

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/08/18 at 20:13:49

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have everything cut and am ready to assemble them.  

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 12/08/18 at 20:16:37

I am wondering what to use dampen the cabinets. I noticed a picture posted and it was suggested to put down two layers of felt and some foam blocks.  How critical is this?  Will I need to adjust this? Thus requiring being able to open them up and move things around?  Any suggestions on what is effective?  Thanks. Andy

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 12/08/18 at 21:22:53

I've used accusta stuff, fiberglass insulation, and the stuffing out of those stupid pillows that my wife puts on the couch.
Some people line the walls with thick felt, I've thought about using old flannel shirt material. I seem to remember shredded up phone books also.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 12/09/18 at 16:15:06

I used old felt moving blankets. They worked just fine. On the back wall of the enclosure, I had cork sheeting that I attached, just to mix things up. I used a layer of contact cement trhoughout the chamber for attaching these things to. All worked out fine.

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 12/15/18 at 13:30:43

Donnie, you tempt me with the idea of the larger speakers, I need to keep my head on though, and complete these first.  Next set, I want to cut the pieces on a cnc router.  I don't really have room for the larger speakers, but I won't let practical problems stop me.  

Do you know if there are plans out there for the larger DNA2 speakers?
Thanks. Andy

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #15 - 12/15/18 at 16:53:25

Andy,

In regard to your question, many of us are waiting for the plans to become available for the DNA2 cabinets. The fact that you have access to a CNC router should make for a perfect fit.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 12/15/18 at 17:36:56

Well Andy,
I would think that a person could take the current DNA print and  "expand" upon it. Roughly multiply everything by 1.467 and Bob's your Uncle.
If there were only a CAD file of this......

IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 12/15/18 at 20:34:11

Good to know! 1.467.. I will get these done ASAP and post pictures.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print