Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/18/18 at 21:10:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO with relatively lower-efficiency speakers (Read 262 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO with relatively lower-efficiency speakers
11/29/18 at 05:06:07

Just wanted to share this with you Forum members...

I have been using my SE84UFO with my 91dB B&W DM630s.  Quite satisfactory in volume, the B&W's have provided me with some decent listening experience.  But I have a second pair of speakers, ProAc DM28's, which are much better than the B&W's, but they are rated only at 88.5dB.  By the way, these are published specs, not anything I have measured myself.

These two sets of speakers are sitting next to each other, ProAc's driven by a push-pull Copland amp at 50w per channel.  Given the low efficiency of the ProAc's, I have never dared to try it with my UFO, but just yesterday I wanted to give it a try, and the result is amazing!  The volume is more than enough; the frequency spectrum is quite evenly presented (despite no room treatment), and the detail is just there with amazing soundstage!

Given the quality of this setup, I cannot even imagine the SE84UFO25 that I am in queue for; and any decent high-efficiency speakers.  Again, just wanted to share with you...

Here is a picture of the setup...

Best,

Alper

IMG_3369.jpg
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE84UFO with relatively lower-efficiency speakers
Reply #1 - 11/30/18 at 02:38:02

This brings back some warm memories from the early 1990's when I spent the better part of 3 years listening to the SE84 2 watt amplifier on speakers ranging from 87dB to 90dB and even some 86dB speakers which turned out to be the loudest of the pack... go figure?   It was what hooked me and I guess why were all here today having this conversation. I started building and selling the amps before I even owned any high efficiency speakers... unless you count the Imperial Horns and yes I did spend lots of hours listening to that combo during those early years. The first foray into high efficiency speakers that fit in your house started with Fostex and Lowther both of which were out of there element in box speakers and sounded pretty hit and miss. The frustration with the limited choices out there that didn't cost too much is what got us making speakers for our amps in the first place.  Anyway, great post! Thank you!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 11/30/18 at 02:45:55

Haha, maybe you should amuse yourself one of these evenings and hook-up both speakers at the same time!  The amp will love it.  In it's desperation to not get replaced by the UFO25, it will no doubt push a few buttons you won't be expecting ; )

WWW   IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/30/18 at 02:54:12

I should definitely try it, as the SE84 loves lower impedances, right?  :)

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #4 - 12/05/18 at 21:03:02

A few weeks ago friends brought over a pair of Falcon ls3/5a. At 83 db/wm we all figured the little Decware would bottom out but it drove the speakers very well with more than enough grunt. The volume control was over at 3:00 rather then 8-9 like normal, but they felt this was the best the Falcon's had ever sounded. On paper it doesn't work but in real life things don't always go the way you expect! Such a great little amp!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print