Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/22/19 at 14:26:07 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anniversary Mods for the ZROCK2 (Read 10230 times)
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Re: Anniversary Mods for the ZROCK2
Reply #100 - 04/12/19 at 13:13:54

Yes,  knowing that you and others have had a time getting it to settle in helps my nerves a bit!  I think we're all so used to (and know) what great sound is, that when a new component like the ZR2-A is introduced and just doesn't immediately fit-in,  it unhinges us a bit,  :-/.  Glad to hear yours is finally there Lon and with your other tweaks is giving you what you want/need.   I can definitely hear the benefit at times,  just waiting on the consistency I guess.  Then let the tube rolling begin, Shocked

VPI Scout (SS Zephyr MIMC) > Lundahl 1933 SUT > ZP3 > Auralic Aries Mini > PSA DSD w/BridgeII > PSA BHK Pre > 25th Anniv. Zen Amp/Torii Jr./NuForce STA200/TubeLab 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #101 - 04/12/19 at 13:59:00

Well, letting it have its "time off" period should help. I think part of my unsettlement was that I had really gotten used to the original ZROCK2 as the centerpiece of my system, and this one was so different, different breaking in and different as it came into its own. As with many other significant changes the system is so revealing I had to play around with a number of aspects. . . . But it was worth it I believe. It's more transparent and even more "influential" than the unmoved ZROCK2. Quite a powerful component.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV+MK III;Rega P3 w/modPS Audio:DMP+DSD,P10,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3,double helix Plus spark cbl;Oppo UDP205;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 04/13/19 at 13:39:59

Since I put the Raytheon 5814a W-getter I also have experienced a bit of a roller coaster ride.  Tried the ‘off time’ and it definitely made a difference.  Did it again last night.

The ZR2 with the A mods has been settling down and while there’s no going back for me now, it has been somewhat unsettling.  It takes the Decware house sound in an altogether different direction, another plateau so to speak and this for me was unexpected.  Still rooted in the Decware house sound but not what I had become accustomed to.

Yesterday I walked over to the system to turn the volume up a notch, leaned over, started to clasp the volume knob on the CSP3 and froze in that position, getting my mind around what I was hearing.  One of the thoughts that ran through my head was “this must really look ridiculous”.

The sound seems to emanate from the air around the speakers and within a very large sound stage in a manner that is so like the way it would sound if the person or instrument was in the room.  This is not the same as “it’s here” or “I’m there”, it’s hard to describe.  Obviously no one is really in the room but the impression of that is so solid that it’s... unsettling.

As Lon said it’s resulted in a bit of playing around and I’ve decided to take one more step that I never thought I would.  I’ve now collected enough of the Raytheon 5814a W-getters to send a couple off for cryogenic treatment.  I found out that Gene at Take Five does that or has it done, and I have confidence in him so when I get the next pair off they go.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #103 - 04/13/19 at 13:50:21

It's definitely a trip, and certainly a more transparent and revealing version of the ZROCK2 emerges with the full mods. I must say what I have landed on is still the Decware sound as it has evolved in my system over the last year, but without the "thickening" that the original ZROCK2 imparts ever so slightly to the sound in all positions of the attenuator. At least in my setup which is not room-treated and not conducive to the ultimate in soundstaging. . . concentrating more on true tonal balance and timbral reproduction.

Part of the confusion and aggravation I experienced was brought on by my tube-rolling during break-in. Shouldn't have done it perhaps, but I also knew I preferred a certain type of tube in the predecessor and stubbornly tried them out. Should have stuck with one tube, and then experimented. Ending up with the 5814a was a great thing sort of by accident, and when I got to there the component was beginning to settle down.

I've two of the RCA backplate 5814A that I am really enjoying, so one is a backup and I think with these two I'm good for a long time to come! Cryo treatment may be a nice thing, will be interested to hear your impressions should you send them off and get them back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV+MK III;Rega P3 w/modPS Audio:DMP+DSD,P10,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3,double helix Plus spark cbl;Oppo UDP205;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 04/13/19 at 14:31:34

I think that we’re more alike than different... “Shouldn’t have done it...but...

Same here!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #105 - 04/13/19 at 14:52:24

We're definitely cut from the same audiophile cloth.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 04/15/19 at 15:11:13

After ~65-70 hours the caps seem to have bloomed. Not sure if there will be additional periods of funky, closed in sound but for the time being the sound quality is excellent.

Deep, black background to the music. Gobsmacking detail with tone to die for. My vinyl has never sounded so good. Hoping this isn't just a dream.😎

I am disconnecting the power cord at night per Lons' suggestion. This seems to be helping.

HK

Lonely Raven PC (or) TEAC PD-600H > ZDAC2 (or) Nottingham Interspace (heavy platter) TT w/ Dynavector 20x2 LO cart + P75 MKII phono pre > ZROCK2-25th > CSP3-25th preamp > Zen Mystery 25th amp > Omega SAHO XRS speakers > ZenWave Audio, TWL, & Acoustic BBQ cables.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #107 - 04/15/19 at 15:17:43

Great news. I think you're well on your way. Still more improvement to come I would guess. . . . This is an amazing component.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 04/20/19 at 16:34:25

Happy to report that my modded ZR2 with the Raytheon 5814a W getter is settling in very nicely, I’d say it’s ‘killer’ now and probably still has some more settling in to do.  A couple of ‘off’ periods helped a lot.

Next... CSP3 mods.  Love the looks of the new Anniversary Edition but don’t want to loose the headphone capability.  I can only add so many components.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #109 - 04/20/19 at 16:47:05

You'll enjoy the CSP3 mods and good move to retain the headphone capability as I've never heard better headphone playback than through the CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 05/16/19 at 03:43:19

Joman, I would like to try the 5814A but cannot find any information referencing the W-gitter. Can you steer me in the right direction.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 05/16/19 at 12:19:32

Showme, all the W getter is referring to is a "Windmill" getter.  Just do a search for Raytheon 5814 windmill getter and you'll find plenty... Photo below.  Raytheon's 5751 tubes with a windmill getter are quite popular as well.

I have been using the RCA black plate triple mica 5814 in my ZP3s and ZROCKs for years and turned Lon onto them...he uses one in his ZROCK.

http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/d/11788-2/Raytheon+CK5814+Windmill+Getter+...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 05/16/19 at 13:18:50

Thanks, I’ll take a look. I’d like to try one in my Zrock.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #113 - 05/16/19 at 13:42:27

The 5814A type is certainly worth exploring. I haven't tried the Windmill getter variety, but have been using the RCA black plate that Mark mentions in my main system in my 25th Anniversary ZROCK2, and I'm also using in my audio and video system's ZROCK2 a GE gray plate. A bit more neutral than the RCA which does have a whisper of warmth tagging along. Both tubes are killer in the ZROCK2.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print