Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/19 at 23:01:35†

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW !!! †Alnico Betsy baffles available soon †!!! (Read 1608 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

NEW !!! †Alnico Betsy baffles available soon †!!!
11/01/18 at 20:52:04

Wild Burro Audio Labs has recently announced the release of a new Betsy driver .....

For quite a while now, there has been speculation about the possible creation of an Alnico magnet version of the Betsy full range driver.

This is now a reality ..... †!!!

I have auditioned the Alnico drivers in a pair of Betsy baffles and was able to do an A/B comparison with a pair of the original Betsy baffles.

The new drivers are good ..... really good.

The owner of Wild Burro Audio Labs simply states that the new drivers are more "nuanced" than the original. †What I and a couple of my audio buddy / customers heard was very impressive.
More detail and air than the original with the characteristics many music lovers have come to expect from an Alnico magnet driver.

The Alnico drivers will be available in all Caintuck Audio Betsy baffles and will add 220.00 to the original pricing.
This is a very reasonable price for Alnico driver loudspeakers. †

By no means does this make the original Betsy drivers obsolete or less of a value. †Owners of the original Betsy baffles will continue to enjoy the excellent musicality and value of these speakers.

However, it's good to have options .....

I'm expecting a shipment of the new drivers before the end of November.

Website page here

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus turntable
AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC / tablet
Decware Model SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles and Alpha bass baffles
WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: NEW !!! †Alnico Betsy baffles available soon †!!!
Reply #1 - 11/02/18 at 04:44:03

This is very exciting news Randy! †I personally know how incredible the original Caintuck Betsy Baffles sound. †I also own a a set of Omega loudspeakers with proprietary drivers built around Alnico magnets and I'm a firm believer in this magnetic material in loudspeaker drivers.

I am confident this new Wild Burro driver will be an excellent addition to your already stellar lineup. †There are plenty of folk in this industry that have and continue to sing the praises of Alnico magnets. †I hope that I get to hear them at some point in the near future. †

I have four sets of speakers - Caintuck Betsy Baffles, Decware Monoliths, Omega Super Alnico High Outputs, Hegeman Model 1's. †I really don't need anymore but I'm pretty sure a set of these Alnico's built into one of your beautiful exotic wood baffles is in my future. † Wink

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//DM946//Oppo UDP-205
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 11/02/18 at 16:07:34

Hi Jeff,

I'm still disappointed that you were not able to attend Decware Fest 2018 ... †

We sure did have a blast the previous year ..... †

The new Alnico drivers really do sound good.

An interesting thing is that when I had the prototype pair in my listening room and was able to A / B them with a pair of originals (in identical baffles), they sounded noticeably more efficient than the originals using the same amplifier and volume settings.

The owner of WBAL tells me that they actually have a lower sensitivity on paper ..... but all three of my audio buddy / customers agreed with me that they played louder at the same volume setting.

So ..... should I believe "what's on paper" or my own lying ears ? †

Two of my three buddies like the new drivers well enough that they will be buying them.

I'm really excited about this development because it gives the option of a fine sounding speaker at a true giant killer price with the original Betsy and a slightly upscale product with the Alnico version which still doesn't break the bank .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 11/02/18 at 18:39:39

I was really bummed I could not swing Decfest this year.  I had such an incredible time last year and was looking forward to Decfest 2018 ever since.  And hanging with my good pal Randy "Mr. Caintuck Audio" made for truly a memorable time.  Looking forward to the next!  

So, Randy.  Put me down for a pair of these new Alnico version baffles.  But let's chat on the phone for a bit.  I want to go nuts on the wood - make them the most stunning pair yet.  Nothing that will break a ton of drill/saw bits though..lol.  sorry about my Bubinga Agues... Huh

Also, I am willing to loan my original Betsy's to anyone in SoCal to audition in their own home if they want to drive over to Orange County to pick them up and and then drop them off.  So, if you know anyone... lemme know.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//DM946//Oppo UDP-205
  IP Logged
Tal

Reply #4 - 11/02/18 at 19:25:55

Jeff

Hi. I may have to take you up on your offer to trial your Betsy's.  ;) I'm in Pasadena.
I've been wanting to try a set of OB speakers, specifically Randy's Betsy's, for a while to see if they are for me.
My system consists of a ZP3 and Bifrost running through a ZR2 to two bridged UFO2's. I  believe the Betsy's are about 92db. I'm wondering if the UFO2 is a good match with the Betsy, or would I need more power?

Decware SE84UFO2 x 2 (mono blocks) , ZP3, ZRock2, Rega P3-24, Groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Omega Super 3HO, Omega DeepOmega8 sub
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 11/02/18 at 22:59:42

Hi Tal,
The UFO2 is plenty of power.  The Betsy's will sound beautiful with that amp.  Anytime you want to come on over, the Betsy's will be here.  I am more than happy to offer 'em up for audition.  Hit me up on PM when ready and Ill give you my address.

Cheers,
Jeff

IP Logged
Acetone
Seasoned Member

5+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 11/02/18 at 23:44:29

Jeff,

I'd also like to give those Betsy's a listen. Have heard nothing but good things about them over the last few years! Perhaps we can finally have that listening session at your place. Would be a good chance to hear your modded ZMA and my UFO25 head to head.

Ace

SE84-CKC & UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZRock2, ZSB, DM947Monoliths, VPI-Traveler-2M black. Philips CDR880. Schiit BIMBY, Audio Envy/RAC-PC's/IC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spk wire & jumpers, Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e. Herbies tube damps, Tenderfoots, GIK, PI Audio, DIY panel
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 11/03/18 at 00:05:27

Absolutely Ace!  Let's do it.  Depending on the timing, I will have the original Betsy's and the new Alnico version of the Betsy's to compare.  

And of course everything else you and I have that is of interest we can hook up and listen to.  I am very excited to hear your anniversary Zen!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #8 - 11/03/18 at 03:15:19

Quote:
†I want to go nuts on the wood - make them the most stunning pair yet.

Jeff, you're scaring me ..... †

Remember ..... I'm just a poor old Caintuck hillbilly wood butcher .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 11/03/18 at 03:19:24

Nice try Randy. †Remember, you did deliver me those gorgeous Bubinga bass drivers. †Your humbleness is not fooling me. † Wink

Come on my friend... †Build me your dream baffles with those Alnico's!!!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #10 - 11/03/18 at 03:27:43

Quote:
I †believe the Betsy's are about 92db. I'm wondering if the UFO2 is a good match with the Betsy, or would I need more power?

Hi Tal,

The Betsy drivers have a sensitivity rating of 92.4 DB.
However, something I was not aware of until Steve Deckert shared it with me is that a driver in a dipole configuration effectively gains about 3 DB.

That explains a lot.

In the audio storefront I operated in 2016, the main listening room was 17' x 35' with an 11.5' ceiling. †A pair of Betsy baffles powered by my single SE84UFO filled the room with music ..... with no compression, clipping or other nasties that I could detect .....

The lack of any crossover components and the "dipole boost" makes them very efficient.

A very common reaction from most folks hearing the Betsy baffles for the first time is "I can't believe all of that music is coming from those two small baffles" .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Tal

Reply #11 - 11/03/18 at 03:32:36

Randy

Thats encouraging. I think I'm will trying to arrange a time to trial Jeff's Betsy's to see how I like them. Based on all the raving, I;m sure I won't be disappointed Wink

Decware SE84UFO2 x 2 (mono blocks) , ZP3, ZRock2, Rega P3-24, Groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Omega Super 3HO, Omega DeepOmega8 sub
  IP Logged
Tal

Reply #12 - 11/03/18 at 03:34:05

Jeff

I'll shot you a PM to see if we can arrange a time

Cheers

Tal

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #13 - 11/03/18 at 03:36:27

Quote:
Nice try Randy. †Remember, you did deliver me those gorgeous Bubinga bass drivers. †Your humbleness is not fooling me.

Come on my friend... †Build me your dream baffles with those Alnico's!!!

Hi Jeff,

Those Bubinga baffles just about ruined every tool in my workshop ...

I am in the process of building a variety of the "two tone" baffles since 18" widths of quality hardwoods are not as readily available as they were a couple of years ago.

The first ones out of the shop can be found here.

If you have any ideas for something special, I would love to hear them.

Are we having fun yet ..... ?

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 11/03/18 at 04:28:47

Quote:
The first ones out of the shop can be found here.

There we go. Those are some fine looking baffles.  I really dig the two-tone.  

†I am a dreamer Randy †::)

But... I am also a realist so if wood is hard to come by, lets work with what you've got. †Of course we are a couple months away from the Alnico's landing so maybe we'll get lucky and come across something extra special †:o

But nothing as dubious as that bit-murdering Bubinga!

Yes sir!! †The fun meter is pegged to the right! †I am really looking forward to this my friend. †

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #15 - 11/03/18 at 04:32:11

Quote:
Jeff

I'll shot you a PM to see if we can arrange a time

Cheers

Tal

Sounds great  Tal.  Ill keep an eye out for the PM.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/13/19 at 05:36:39

Has anyone purchased the Alnico Betsyís yet?  Iím looking for an opinion on how they compare to the regulars.

SE84UFO - 25th Mods
ZDSD DAC
PS Audio DSD JR
Cambridge Audio CXC
ZBIT inQ
ZLC
Lonely Raven Audio PC
Technics PL 1210MK5 - KAB Mods
ZP3 - 25th Mods
Teac A-3300SR R2R
Caintuck Audio Betsy Baffles
(2) 12" Alpha Bass Baffles
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #17 - 04/14/19 at 06:20:52

Hi Geno,

To the best of my knowledge, no one on the Decware forums has heard both drivers in the Betsy baffles .....

Steve Deckert has a pair of the alnico drivers (as well as the originals) and I think he has been too busy with all of the new amplifier orders and upgrades to do any testing. Hopefully, he will have some time in the near future and post his thoughts .....

I do have a couple of local customers who own baffles with both drivers. They are rather "shy" and don't do much posting to audio forums ..... but I will contact them to see if they would be willing to share their thoughts on the forum or via an email to you.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/14/19 at 16:10:39

Good morning Randy. Hope things are going well. Iím so happy with the regular driver, I canít imagine changing anything. But you know how this Hobby is...

I certainly appreciate the offer to have someone contact me with their impressions. That would be great.

Best,

Geno

SE84UFO - 25th Mods
ZDSD DAC
PS Audio DSD JR
Cambridge Audio CXC
ZBIT inQ
ZLC
Lonely Raven Audio PC
ZP3 - 25th Mods
Teac A-3300SR R2R
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 04/16/19 at 05:09:49

Geno,

My initial impressions of the new un-burned-in drivers was a wonderful increase in midrange and top end presence which is a hallmark of alnico drivers. The bass response seemed unchanged which is to say that with the increase in mid and top end presence, the bass should also be lifted somewhat to maintain balance and it is not yet there at the 25 hour mark.  My guess is the speakers will finish just shy of where I would like to be  from a frequency balance point of view.  In every other way, they are already winners.  If they were combined with the bass baffles it would be fabulous which frankly makes more sense since objective is an elevated listening experience from top to bottom.  

If you want to play the baffles by themselves without bass augmentation, like I usually do, the stock driver is going to be warmer and more forgiving, this we can already tell.

I'll update my results when I have some meaningful time on the speakers and have rotated them through the mill of amplifiers we have here.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/16/19 at 12:51:19

Thanks Steve. I have 2 of Randyís 12Ē bass baffles, so no problem there. I think Iíll go ahead and order a pair. Hell, at that price, why not!

SE84UFO - 25th Mods
ZDSD DAC
PS Audio DSD JR
Cambridge Audio CXC
ZBIT inQ
ZLC
Lonely Raven Audio PC
ZP3 - 25th Mods
Teac A-3300SR R2R
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #21 - 04/18/19 at 14:04:28

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts .....

I received permission from my local customer / audio buddy (Roger) to share some of his thoughts that he emailed to Geno .....

Roger's drivers are well broken in and he uses several different amplifiers in his system ..... so it stands to reason that his observations might differ slightly from Steve's.

Here are his thoughts .....

"I've been enjoying mine since December. For two and a half years prior to that I enjoyed the original Betsys.

I'll start by saying the Betsy Alnico is more Betsy. They have the same great Betsy signature sound just more of it. They're more detailed through out their frequency response range. Bass is a little deeper, fuller and tighter. The highs aren't any more extended however they are more airy with greater detail. Vocals male and female sound great. Vocals have more air around them as if they were recorded in a cathedral. On good not great recordings they're a little more forgiving than the original Betsys. That isn't saying they'll make a bad recording sound good or even listenable. After all they're still Betsys, meaning they're still very honest and will let you know when you play a poorly recording album. They also play louder than the original Betsy or at least sound as if they're playing louder.

I think anyone who likes the Betsys will like the Betsy Alnico even more."

End of quote

From my perspective, both the original Betsy drivers and the new alnico version are wonderfully musical and cost effective ..... and I can live with either one quite nicely.
If money is not an object, the alnico drivers (at 330.00 a pair) are a bargain .... and for 110.00 a pair the original drivers are a no-brainer .....

One thing I should mention .....
I am not in a position to accept "trade-ins" for existing customers who wish to change to the alnico drivers.
In addition, my arrangement with Wild Burro Audio Labs does not permit me to sell "raw" drivers. I can only sell the WBAL drivers as part of a completed pair of Betsy baffles.

If a person wishes to purchase a pair of drivers (original or alnico) they can contact Douglas at Wild Burro Audio Labs.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/18/19 at 22:30:25

Iím glad that you posted this Randy, because Rogers email was in my Junk email folder for some reason. I just read it and responded to him. Thanks for your impressions too!

Best,

Geno

SE84UFO - 25th Mods
ZDSD DAC
PS Audio DSD JR
Cambridge Audio CXC
ZBIT inQ
ZLC
Lonely Raven Audio PC
ZP3 - 25th Mods
Teac A-3300SR R2R