06/20/18 at 12:30:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZTPRE to arrive soon! (Read 225 times)
MrDerrick
Verified Member

ZTPRE to arrive soon!
06/08/18 at 19:21:55

I have been in want of a ZTPRE since shorty after its introduction, but could not justify acquiring one.

The layout and execution of the components is truly a thing of beauty and modern ( steampunk? ) design.  

While my past goal was to eliminate a pre from my system and the DS Dac did just that, constantly reading comments on how a pre improved on the DS kept me wondering.

Sound wise I want for nothing at this moment without a pre, its that good.
But when Lon acquired a ZTPRE and reported on how much of an improvement it made I made up my mind that I had to give it a go.

Then the 25th ZTPRE sold and the introductory price was gone, drat!

I had to put my aspirations of ownership on hold until I could muster up more additional funds.
Then I came across busterfree's classified for his ZTPRE.
It was optioned out exactly the way I would have ordered mine.

With in 24 hours it was on its way, I haven't waited for an audio component to arrive with this much anticipation since I can't remember when.
Hopefully it will arrive Monday and I will be able to report on it by next weekend!

( Head End Digital ) PSA P300 / HS-210 NASwSSD / PPA SW X 2 / Sonore SSR / Titans Audio Lab Helen / PSA Direct Stream Dac / HDPLEX LPS / UpTone LPS1 ( Live End Analogue ) PSA P3 / ZTPRE / Atma Sphere M60 OTL / Avantgarde Duo Omega / L & R Rives PARCs on SUB 225s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: ZTPRE to arrive soon!
Reply #1 - 06/08/18 at 20:02:00

Congrats Mr. Derrick! I think you'll be VERY happy with the sound that this brings to your system! The DS needs to be used via the balanced output and the ZTPRE will do it justice! Be sure to let us know your impressions.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25, Taboo MkIV;PS Audio: Soloist SE, DMP+DSD, P10, PowerBases, XStream Statemt spk cb, AC-12 power cds; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3; Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/09/18 at 01:21:50

Smiley

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/18 at 18:15:54

The ZTPRE arrived safe and sound thanks to Juan's attention to double boxing and cushioning. Juan even unexpectedly through an added bonus into the box!

I placed the ZTPRE on a Black Diamond Shelf for the Source directly in front of my M60's. ( whose input is front and center ) I was able to connect them together with a Bybee Balanced Quantum filter as the interconnect.

Per my request, Juan shipped the ZTPRE less the tubes, I have hundreds of old 6DJ8/6922/7308s from my past ARC Ref 1 days. ( it took 4 pair )
I selected 6 well matched 6922 Amperex White Shield PQs ( USA 1962 )

I knew that it would be foolish of me to expect everything to sound perfect from the start and I was right. The roller coaster ride of dialectic settling in was evident almost immediately. So I just put some random albums on repeat/shuffle play, turned the amps off and walked away.

I listened once a day since Monday to check on the settling in progress.
Tuesday was hyper fatiguing detail, Wednesday was less fatigue, but no bass, Thursday things were really opening up and sounding smoother, the bottom end had better definition.

Friday mornings I have the house to myself to listen before work. I turned the amps on at 4:30 AM and was ready to start listening at 6 AM.
Needless to say, I wish that I could have stayed home all day to listen!

My ultimate goal was to be able to engage the -20dB attenuation in the DS in order to lower its noise floor and adjust the ZTPREs output gain to allow me a volume range of 80 > 106 on the DS. I was not prepared for how much more dynamic it was going to sound!

I have never experienced such speed and transparency from my system, its hard for me to believe what I have been missing. Has anyone else gone the -20dB attenuation route with the DS / ZTPRE combo and experienced the same thing?

( Head End Digital ) PSA P300 / HS-210 NASwSSD / PPA SW X 2 / Sonore SSR / Titans Audio Lab Helen / PSA Direct Stream Dac / HDPLEX LPS / UpTone LPS1 ( Live End Analogue ) PSA P3 / ZTPRE / Atma Sphere M60 OTL / Avantgarde Duo Omega / L & R Rives PARCs on SUB 225s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 06/15/18 at 18:22:55

Congrats! You got a great deal and a great component from a great Decware forumite. I don't have th ZDSD and can't comment on the -20 db thang. I will say that my ZTPRE exceeded my own expectations for a preamp at any price and of any type.

I tried sextets of 6922 types from Mullard, Phillips, Amperex and other makers and ended up going back to the 6N1P and then the 6N5P--Steve's tested and selected balanced 6N5P are remarkable in the ZTPRE, bettering all the other NOS US and European types. I highly recommend trying 6N5P in the ZTPRE!

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25, Taboo MkIV;PS Audio: Soloist SE, DMP+DSD, P10, PowerBases, XStream Statemt spk cb, AC-12 power cds; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3; Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/18 at 18:30:51

Lon, not the ZDSD, the PSA Direct Stream Dac!

I may have to give Steve's select 6N5Ps a try.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 06/15/18 at 19:06:53

Oh okay, I get it now, the 20 db cut, don't know why I was thinking of the Decware component, you had it spelled out plain as day. No I haven't tried that, but I need all the gain I can get from my DSD DAC for my system, i run mine now balanced out, no output cut, and use the ZTPRE to control system volume. I could probably get any with the 20 db cut on if I were only using the system for music, but the DVR needs the extra boost as its output is the lowest. Anyway now, with the ZBIT, ZROCK2, and the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks I'm getting the sort of sound I only dreamed of. Tube-rolling lately has been very educational and shown me sonics I never really imagined I'd have. I don't feel like messing with anything now. . . though I do have a 25th Anniversary CSP3 arriving Monday. . . .

The ZTPRE is an amazing component. It really does "make everything better" and yet it can fade into the woodwork, it doesn't call attention to itself, it lets everything else shine. Awesome preamp--I thought I could do without a preamp but I was wrong.

All systems are different but once I had a sextet of 6N5P that I got off ebay in the ZTPRE I was like "Wow, this is the tube to use." And then I ordered six from Steve that he tested and tried in his own ZTPRE and everything went a notch higher still. As all our systems are different I can't make any guarantees but I sure think the 6N5P is worth a try.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/16/18 at 15:28:56

I am glad the ZTPRE arrived safely. It is an amazing preamp. I really enjoyed it, and I am glad it is working so well for you.

I have the PS Audio DirectStream DAC with the Bridge II input. I have try the -20 dB attenuator option.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print