Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/20/19 at 17:21:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar (Read 5591 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar
04/19/18 at 19:06:50

A while back someone (Eric?) was looking for recordings with excellent acoustic guitar sound and I can't find that thread or that part of another thread. . . I tried.

Thought I would start a thread then as I've encountered some recently that are exceptional and want to point them out for those who love a well-recorded guitar.

First is this one with two Brazilian musicians, a flautist and guitarist in duet, and the sound of the album is excellent as is the playing. Mellow for the most part with some very driving pieces as well. . . very lyrical.

Nicola Stilo and Toninho Horta "Duets"

And then I revisited this album and think that the guitars are very well-recorded. And again it's an excellent album musically.

Cassandra Wilson featuring Fabrizio Sotti" Another Country"

I'll find more examples, and if others would like to join in. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV+MK III;Rega P3 w/modPS Audio:DMP+DSD,P10,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3,double helix Plus spark cbl;Oppo UDP205;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar
Reply #1 - 04/19/18 at 20:25:37

This is greats Lon.  Thanks a bunch!

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Essence Audio Amethyst Reference 10A Speaker
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 04/19/18 at 21:16:45

Hera are two more: Naked Breath, and Naked Breath 2 by Monday Michiru. Just Monday (daughter of American saxophonist Charlie Mariano and Japanese pianist/composer/band leader Toshiko Akiyoshi) singing and a guitar.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV+MK III;Rega P3 w/modPS Audio:DMP+DSD,P10,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3,double helix Plus spark cbl;Oppo UDP205;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/18 at 15:23:01

Personally I believe this is one great live recording.

51aBB30H4WL__SS5001.jpg

Bill Murray "What About Bob" There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 04/21/18 at 15:27:52

Thanks for weighing in. I like his guitar playing, though this is a style of music I just don't cotton to much. We're all different!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/18 at 21:01:13

Definatly different style from the others.  I don't play guitar but it took the longest time for me to figure out he got that sound.  Guitar and percusion together it would have been fun to see him but he's mostly east coast

Bill Murray "What About Bob" There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/18 at 15:17:10

Have you lisntend to Chesky Records
THREE GUITARS
Artist:
John Abercrombie
Badi Assad
Larry Coryell
?

Well recorded and probably more in the genre that you would like

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 04/22/18 at 15:51:02

To be honest. . . I don't like the Chesky sound. Hard to explain. . . but. . . .

And I'm not crazy about the music I have heard on the label, preferring the work of the same artists produced by other producers. So this may be great for many. . . thanks for posting the suggestion to explore. I've explored Chesky discs by half these artists and decided not to collect them.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/22/18 at 15:56:09

I'm  a big Sara K fan most of the other stuff not so much.  You're a hard nut to crack Mr. Lon but we'll find a common intrest somewhere out there  8-)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 04/22/18 at 16:18:39

I'm just me, I've been listening to and collecting music for more than five decades and playing music for a spell too and even did some recording. . . .I have developed strong ideas about and tastes in music. We don't HAVE to have any common areas. I know I'm different, I have lived in three countries and spent my adolescence abroad, I'm used to it. . . I respect the opinions of others and would like the same, that's all.

Here's another suggestion:

Any of the MPS albums by Baden Powell. . . they really sound great on my system.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/22/18 at 20:02:54

Quote:
You're a hard nut to crack Mr. Lon but we'll find a common intrest somewhere out there  8-)

Lon's a Grateful Dead fan.   Cheesy

Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under everything.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/24/18 at 02:18:52

Nope that's not it (shamefully hanging his head)
I'm definatly old enough but instead of Hendrix and The Dead I was listening to Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, The Beatles,  The Monkeys (don't judge me) Cream and Eric Burdon and the Animals.  After that it was The Who then more Who ( a liitle Yes and ELO) until Kieth Moon was taken, then the 80s.  Back then I tried to be an audiophile but got to where I was listening to equipment and no longer listening to music so I put it away for 30 years.  I'm back into music again and have the technology to listen to ANYTHING.  From any time period or any country.  So now I just want input from the masters but I may not be on a level yet to apprieciate it. My friends say I listen to stuff cause it's wierd,  my son says I listen to the music from Starbucks.   If I ever come off rude please ignore, it's just my attempt at humor.  The arcs have to cross somewhere and with a common thread I can expand my enjoyment even further.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/18 at 00:45:40

I respectively submit Vicki Genfan “up close & personal”.  Since I first posted on this thread I’ve been on a quest and have listened to a lot of acoustic guitar looking for both excellent recording and superior musicianship.  This has been a lot like looking for the best flavor of ice cream and have been able to listen and enjoy so much music outside of my normal listening sphere.  So like going to Ben and Jerry’s and saying try this flavor I think that Vicki Genfan is worth a listen.  The second CD is just acoustic guitar and other instruments.  The First CD has great harmonies and vocals.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 05/06/18 at 00:58:25

Cool. I ordered "Up Close & Personal" (used copy) to check it out. Thanks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/18 at 13:16:54

Started by listening/watching some "Postmodern Jukebox" which led me to Emmaline which led me to Dinah Washington which led me to "Jazz On A Summer's Day"...love seeing favorites in 1959...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py-5K2R92Wg

PS...I just realized a new thread had been started for a specific recording...this is not "What's Spinning" but I'm too lazy to move my post Smiley

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #15 - 05/10/18 at 19:45:32

Dana, thanks for mentioning Ms Genfan. I ordered "Up Close and Personal" and because "Live" was available cheaply I ordered that as well. "Live" arrived first and I'm enjoying it. Not only is she a maestro of the steel stringed acoustic guitar, but she's a very good "architect" arranger of the material. And kudos to the engineer, Michael Brammann, who really recorded her creatively giving a big and bold sound. There’s some crackle from overload in the left channel but what’s a little crackle among friends!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/11/18 at 01:43:03

I hadn't heard the Live album.  Where did you find it?  I'm listnening now on Spotify and it sounds pretty good.  A real copy must be awesome.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 05/11/18 at 01:44:46

Found it on amazon, marketplace seller.

IP Logged
Dan
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/16/18 at 03:35:56

Julian Bream and John Williams!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/25/18 at 01:48:14

Brother Sinner & The Whale
Kelly Joe Phelps
Release date: August 21, 2012

In January 2013, he announced a hiatus from touring due to ulnar neuropathy in his right hand and arm. While looking for acoustic guitar players I came acreoss several with ulnar neuropathy. The good news there's several therapies that have helped some.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.
Nietzsche

Reply #20 - 07/28/18 at 14:16:45

David Grisman - Tony Rice  
Tone Poems

The Guitar Trio
John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al Dimeola