Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/23/18 at 19:41:14 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks (Read 3045 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks
Reply #50 - 05/16/18 at 15:05:08

My poor Lucinda is still sick, slowly getting better and still staying home from work. and we're both completely tired of our routines being interrupted for two weeks and we're beginning to be on each other's last nerve. I so desperately want to listen to my Monoblocks but the moment I do I'm either asked to do something else or told that my music annoys here and please put on headphones. So I am getting a lot of time in with both my Torii Mk IV and my Torii Mk III and my Audeze LCD-2 and Oppo PM-1. But I so much want to listen to the Monoblocks and the HR-1s!

Last night for one hour I got to listen to a cd, Bobo Stenson's "Cantando" on ECM, through the Monoblocks. This an eccentric offbeat piano trio recorded with reverberant spatial cues and both a tight focus and a warm glow. I could hear every nuance I had heard before and more. I connected to the music on this album as I had not before. The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B that I have in each are responsible for another step forward as is the mere fact that the amps have really come into their own. I've had wonderful listening sessions with my amps the last years but I confess I wish that I had somehow managed to make the small two watt amps work in my system before and hadn't spent so much time with the EL34/KT66/6CA7 etc. tube types. Then again the DENSITY of the signal from the ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2 and the tonal adaptability of the ZROCK2 are what have made my current bliss possible when added to the racetrack speed of the Monoblocks. It's best to just be in the here and now and here and now has the possibility of the best sound ever . . . I only wish that I could hear the system NOW. Please Lucinda, feel better! Smiley

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25, Taboo MkIV;PS Audio: Soloist SE, DMP+DSD, P10, PowerBases, XStream Statemt spk cb, AC-12 power cds; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3; Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Acetone
Seasoned Member

4 years with my
Decware and Loving
it!!!

Reply #51 - 05/16/18 at 17:17:54

So, will you have a dedicated audio room when Lucinda retires? Or, does she not like your music playing due to her current illness?
I had to have a dedicated room. My wife does not like to listen to most of what I play and after a few hours she used to ask I turn it off and give her a break. And, this was before I retired!

SE84-CKC, ZP3, Zstage, ZRock2, ZSB, DM947-(946)Monoliths, VPI-Traveler-2M black. Philips CDR-880. Audio Envy/RAC-PC's & IC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+ Spkr wire & jumpers, Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e. Herbies tube damps, tenderfoots, GIK, PI Audio, DIY room treatments
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #52 - 05/16/18 at 20:28:42

I'll have to have a plan for when Lucy retires in about five to six years. I had planned to build here on the property and make myself a studio, and that may happen, though Lucy keeps changing her mind about these things. . . she will want me to have an area of my own though as she is a lot like your wife. I have a friend who is waiting to find a wife that shares all his musical interest. He's been waiting a long time and he's very lonely. . . .

The current ban on listening to the speakers is due to her feeling so crappy. And she shouldn't feel so crappy, two weeks into antibiotics, now on her second. I takes her into going back to the doctor tomorrow who is going to give her a third antibiotic and will do some tests. I'm hoping that it isn't anything serious or really bad as I've been there done that and bought the t-shirt and hoody.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25, Taboo MkIV;PS Audio: Soloist SE, DMP+DSD, P10, PowerBases, XStream Statemt spk cb, AC-12 power cds; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3; Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 05/20/18 at 19:06:15

I've gotten to spend more time today with the Monoblocks than I have been able to for a week. The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B are coming along nicely and I've forgotten about tube-rolling rectifiers in the Monoblocks and am rolling rectifiers in the Taboos instead, different Type 80s, an Arcturus globe in the IV and a Tung-Sol bottle type in the III.

The sound of the Monoblocks still thrill me every time they warm up and bloom. With my P10 and ZROCK2 I can get all the body and heft that I got from the Torii Mk III which really surprises me each time. And also the big open sound is similar to the Torii but having that "wholesome" quality that SET delivers. And the detail in the sound. . . I can't say I'm hearing things I haven't before in familiar material, but I am hearing them differently, more "in context" I would say, more naturally as part of the that "wholeness" rather than a transient zooming out or an isolated pull on your attention.

I made one tube change today and it's been positive. I had been using my Arcturus OB3 and I really am convinced the OB3 is better than the OA3 for my system. The Arcturus are bottle shaped, and I have a pair of Sylvania that are bottle shaped as well, and I prefer the Arcturus by a few hairs.  I ordered a pair of small straight OB3s from Raytheon to try out and I'm using these today. I must say they added a bit more warmth and body and are perfect for the piano trio music I'm listening to. I'll keep playing with them. The only drawback: I thought they would glow violet . . . but they glow orange just like an OA3. Which is okay, I just had to look at them several times to verify they were marked OB3 . . . they're marked OB3a.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print