Send Topic Print
Korg Headphone Amp (Read 536 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Korg Headphone Amp
04/09/18 at 03:44:54

Well really, it is a design using the Korg SP1 Nutube that Pete Millet came up with. What I have found out so far is that the combination of headphone/amp is very important here. The Ori is not the best match. The Hi-Fi Man HD600S is not the best match. By far, the Grado SR225e is the phone that sounds best with this amp. In my world that is great because until now, I didn't care much for the Grados. They were just too bright. The midrange was a touch forward. Not anymore. This is as good as it gets in this price range. The kit runs about $120 plus any upgrades that you want to add.

P4090001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Korg Headphone Amp
Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 04:27:41

Made some progress with this little amp. Do I like it? Pretty easy to say yes.

P4270004.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 04/28/18 at 04:30:49

Had this cigar box given to me, and it turned out fine.

P4270003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 05/04/18 at 00:30:53

You guys know by now that I am never finished with a project. Thing is, I thought that the Korg HPA  was a little soft on top, so I connected this AR TDS202 to it. The AR unit is essentially a transformer with a bit of gain. Not only that, it has 'influence' on the bass, mid, and treble. I know, if something needs that much help, what's the point? Improved the sound, I hate to admit. Just better, you know?

P4280002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 05/23/18 at 03:41:13

Ok, since this amp has some possibilities given the price, I figured why not try out a 'new and improved' power supply? I went from a switching supply to a linear supply, and this is the same except for better specs. It is a tongue in cheek idea, but I like to experiment so here goes. A shot of the regulator that may be used in the new power supply:

P5230003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 05/24/18 at 18:24:13

As long as I am waiting on parts, and am willing to try some other options, I made this 24 volt 8 amp/hr battery arrangement for the headphone amp. Unlikely that I will run out of power. I am not going to try and advocate any difference in sound just yet, but I surely have no regrets by using this arrangement.

P5240002.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print