Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/24/18 at 23:30:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where does cassette tape fit in? (Read 835 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Where does cassette tape fit in?
01/19/18 at 02:32:53

I am presently trying to see how much of the magic of master tapes I can capture on a cassette tape.  I already know it will be enough to justify the effort, but what will the final analysis hold when the two are compared side by side?

Stay tuned.

WWW   IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: Where does cassette tape fit in?
Reply #1 - 01/19/18 at 18:25:23

I am curious to what you find.

Line Magnetic 219ia
Manley Chinook
Klipsch LaScala
VPI Signature Classic Rosewood

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 01/20/18 at 04:33:33

Since I had some type II tape, I thought it would be interesting to see what could be done on it since it is fairly inexpensive.  It is a +5dB tape and no more.  It took about 5 tries to get the levels low enough not to saturate the tape on peaks, but when reviewing the final result my thought was "hmm, if you can get type II tape to sound this good..."

So I have ordered some metal type IV tape which is fairly expensive to really expensive.  I believe it is +8dB tape so I will do another identical recording on that when it gets here as see what happens.

The type II didn't have the precision of a 15IPS Reel, but the flavor of tape came through loud and clear and there was no noticeable tape hiss.  The sound quality was very good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 01/20/18 at 16:10:21

That is interesting.
I can still hear the sounds associated with loading and playing cassettes even though I have not had them for years, fond memories.

Line Magnetic 219ia
Manley Chinook
Klipsch LaScala
VPI Signature Classic Rosewood

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 01/20/18 at 16:14:48

Type 4 really was an upgrade, I think that a lot of the 15 ips quality should come through. Interesting experiment. I lived with cassettes for some time. . . there's more sound quality possible there than many might think.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25, Taboo MkIV;PS Audio: Soloist SE, DMP+DSD, P10, PowerBases, XStream Statemt spk cb, AC-12 power cds; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3; Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/20/18 at 17:05:42

I've still got my 3 head Nakamichi in the system and occasionally give it a run out. I used to record new lp's on it to play while the album was on frequent rotation thus guarding against infrequent ticks and suchlike. Not big on metal tapes, type 11 ferrics , TDK's were the stocks then a tape called Thats appeared and became my favourites. ( maybe ferric is metal but then you had the chrome which was  audiophile quality I suppose and I wasn't that far down the road then as far as getting the very best )
The old tape in tape outs have gone now so I really want a Decware switch box to get back in the old groove  :) Makes sense with so many new vinyls being of precarious quality. Maybe good metal tapes as well....
Many Dolbys have come and gone, there is b and c Dolby as well as an MPX filter on my LX-5. You have to play back with the same setting you recorded on. That's the theory. In practice you record flat and if there's a hiss on playback you try the filters. I record flat and play back flat as the hiss is so minimal. I remember that my reel to reel had tape hiss.
Great analogue from the Nak, Warmish and good at reverb
The MPX button has me raising one eyebrow. I should take these aids more seriously.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s , Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 02/17/18 at 19:37:17

I got the metal cassette tape recently and made another identical recording of a master tape and compared the two.  While the regular tape was good I couldn't say it was any better than an LP.  The metal tape is noticeably better making it as good or better than the LP.  Problem is that blank metal cassette tapes cost more than reel to reel tape, plus you need someone to make copies onto cassette for you.  

For this reason it just makes more sense to purchase a reel to reel machine.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print