Send Topic Print
Wood cutting tools (Read 160 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Wood cutting tools
12/06/17 at 23:14:17

I'd like some help in buying some wood cutting tools and thought that I'd ask around here.
It seems like I have a good time building speakers and I'd like to up my game a little.
Does anyone know about table saws and things like that? Maybe a router for cutting nice holes?
What is a good brand that cuts well and holds close tolerances?
I've spent the last 40 years cutting metal and I'd like to bring that kind of precision into my woodwork.
What does a guy need to make straight cuts in MDF?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Wood cutting tools
Reply #1 - 12/07/17 at 01:19:34

PM me if you want to take this off-line by email.  You've got to have a good table saw with no appreciable runout and a good fence to start.  I like Freud full kerf blades.  In 10 inch diameters I use their 24 tooth rip blades, 80 tooth single side laminate triple tooth chip blades and their 80 tooth Ultimate Cutoff blades.  I use the same in 12 inch but the tooth count is higher.  I have Hitachi and Porter Cable routers and they both seem to have decent runout tolerances.  Used on a router table, I get nice finish on my cuts.

My Delta Contractor's saw with a Biessmier (god knows how this is spelled!) fence gives me great results for my small shop.  I've never found the need for a "shop" saw given that I don't have a production shop.  Even my Dewalt portable saw gives great cuts with good blades.

Just stay away form thin kerf blades.  They wander when cutting since they are thin.

IP Logged
neac1976
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/07/17 at 02:10:38

Donnie,
Delta Tools are often times, used to outfit a professional woodworker's shop, at least in New England anyway, where I have built houses for the last, thirty, odd years.
Their products are well built, sturdy and are available with many options and in many configurations.
Cutting all of the 4 by 8 material that you will most likely need will require a rather large table saw, but specifically a large table and support system for said table.  The entire setup must be well anchored so as not to move as you are making your extremely, precise cuts with that difficult to maneuver 3/4" or even larger stock.
Are you going to need a dust management system? Delta makes them.
I believe that one of the most important tools that you will also need will be a powerful router. Makita makes plunge routers that allow you to literally plunge them into the material (supported by the router's own table).  They are incredibly well built and maintain their accuracy. Be careful during startup, as it is like holding a very powerful gyroscope that can dismember you.
You will probably need a hand planer at the least, or perhaps a table planer at the most to reduce stock to the appropriate dimensions.
One compressor with the appropriate nail guns...look at Porter Cable Products for your guns.
Open up a commercial account at your local Lumber Company as opposed to one the
the Big Box Stores...the benefits are too numerous to mention.
Yes of course you can find all of the above used, just inspect the motors on the larger pieces of machinery.
Purchase the best blades that you can afford, as all circular blades can be re-sharpened up to a point.  Look for blades with cuts (kerfs) in the blade sides to dissipate the heat of cutting that God forsaken MDF!
Do you have a nice space in which to locate all of this lovely stuff, as you will not want to be setting up and tearing down when the fancy strikes you?
This was just a quick outline, if I can be of any other help just PM or call me.
Mark

Brinkman Spyder
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 12/07/17 at 06:05:59

No doubt, it has been a long time since i made furniture. When I did do such work, it was always a pleasure to have the right tool for the job. First in line is a table saw that can be trusted for accuracy, power and capacity. I don't know what your budget is, but please don't skimp on a table saw. Even at the $1,000 level you have to careful. For more money, it is probably worth every dollar spent to get a 3 HP cabinet saw. A 50" capacity or more, and as stated before, a good fence to go with it. A saw is not worth the effort without a blade that is true. There are a good deal of blades to choose from, so research what you might need for the job intended. All dust is bad for you, and getting it sucked into a filter can't be understated. Please wear a mask when needed, or you will end up like me. All the filtration in the world isn't enough when working with MDF, let alone other materials.
 Routers are great tools. Again, find one that has the power to spare, such as Porter cable (the larger 1 1/2 HP or even more), and Bosch, Freud, etc. Once again the cutting tool is just as important, so don't waste your time on cheap bits. BTW, MDF is Hell on router bits. Buy more than just one for the job. It sounds like I am talking as if money weren't a concern. Not so, cheap tools are going to be your biggest waste of money. Hopefully, you live in an area that has a good wood shop store so you can see what your getting.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/07/17 at 15:50:49

Donnie,
There are a lot of good tools out there but they are not cheap and don't go cheap on them. If you stick with the name brands you will be fine.
One main thing you have to think about is how much room you have. It would be great to get a full size table saw to cut sheets of plywood but if you can fit it. I could not, I have a small garage plus it is a pain to try to cut a full size sheet by yourself. I have two tools to help me with this. I bought a Sawstop table saw that lets me cut up to 30" I think using the fence. I love this saw, very well made, accurate and has the safety not to cut your fingers off. I highly recommend this saw. They have 3 levels of saws you can get. The second tool is the Festool track saw. This is a circular saw that uses an extruded aluminum fence to cut straight lines. I have a 4' rail and a 9' rail. I have used this saw for many more things than just cutting plywood. What is nice, you are not fighting the plywood to get a straight cut. Not cheap but very good saw and has paid itself off many times. For routers I like Bosch and I use Freud for my saw blades and router bits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print