Which DAC? (Read 591 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Which DAC?
12/04/17 at 19:10:30

looking for something a little new...

Teac 503 or OPPO Sonica???
plan on a Zbit on backend too.

plan to feed it with a transport or cd player and PC player.

CSP3, CAD 120s MKII, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Pulse3, ZP3 jupiter, ZMC1, Schiit bifrost multibit, ERC-3 transport, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands/betsys/Augies/Alpha15. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 IC,
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Which DAC?
Reply #1 - 12/05/17 at 08:14:54

Not interested in moving up the Schiit line?  If you need a transport though the Oppo UDP-205 is pretty much a no brainer as far as bang for the buck is concerned ... killing 2 or even 3 or more birds with one stone.

Although the McIntosh D100 DAC that I use utilizes the SABRE based chips ~ a lot of companies have moved into their own FPGA designs and that's the direction I would look towards at this point.

To throw a couple more contenders into the ring ...

The Chord 2Qute DSD DAC would be interesting and within that price range as well.  I heard its actually a Hugo in a small chassis.

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Border Patrol DAC which is a NOS (no over-sampling) design based around the R-2R resistor ladder chips with no digital filtering ... this looks very interesting to me, but the price is about 2x the Oppo Sonica.

« Last Edit: 12/05/17 at 08:25:12 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/05/17 at 15:34:04

beowulf,

not sure going up the schitt chain yet.  like to get some reference points before i cash out >$2k for a dac.  i like my bifrost multibit, but haven't heard much else.

thought about the 205 too and running everything thru it.  $1300

i play mostly redbook flac files via pc and daphile.  thinking of trying to live without a cd/transport for a bit..

did pickup a sonica last night on audiogon for $499 (couldn't resist).  going to give that a try.  believe its dac is the same as the 205...  let you know what it think.

thks tim

CSP3, CAD 120s MKII, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Pulse3, ZP3 jupiter, ZMC1, Schiit bifrost multibit, ERC-3 transport, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands/betsys/Augies/Alpha15. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 IC,
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/05/17 at 21:18:02

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Teac or the OPPO products.

However, I have two DAC's currently.  In my main system I have the Hegel HD30 which is really an amazing piece of gear.  It is on the pricey side, but it is highly recommended.  It also has en ethernet port that streams music directly from TIDAL, Spotify, etc.  Interestingly, the CD-quality stuff from TIDAL sounds better than most CD's.

The second DAC in my bedroom system is a Copland DAC215 which is also a 6922-based tube preamp.  It is around $2k, so a bit on the expensive side, but considering that it is both a DAC and a preamp unit, it is worth checking out.

A.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/17 at 13:32:51

ty alper!

that will give me some stuff to study for my next step.

will have my used sonica thursday... be interesting to see how it measures up to my schitt multibit (which i've always liked... but haven't heard much else).

cheers

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/06/17 at 16:20:10

Benchmark dac's look pretty nice too... and maybe closer to my price point.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/06/17 at 19:20:22

Benchmark's DAC3 series, which I have not heard, are in the ballpark of $1,700 - $2,200, as far as I can see from their website.  You can also go for the refurbished DAC1 which sells for $1,150, but I remember hearing one that sounded a bit on the harsh side.  I am not sure, though, if it was a new unit and needed some break-in time or not.  But, none of my DAC's so far (3 different models of Hegel, Copland DAC215, Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100)

If you are looking for a budget DAC, you can check Cambridge Audio.  I used to have their DACMagic 100 (for $199) and it was a steal for the price.  Also, you can give a try to Musical Fidelity's V90-DAC for around the same price.  These last two are small packages with a lot to offer and they sound fine right out of the box.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/08/17 at 12:18:31

well tried the Sonica last night...

well lets just say my schitt bifrost multibit, isnt coming out of the rack just yet.

the Sonica using usb from my player/pc/daphile flac files was a bit on the harsh/animated side.  just seemed like everything was a tad too much.

my schitt is much smoother and analog sounding compared to the oppo.

i am going to give this Sonica a good hard listen this weekend and see if my initial opinion changes.

« Last Edit: 12/08/17 at 12:19:32 by Tripwr1964 »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 12/08/17 at 22:41:58

I'm not familiar with that Oppo - I have the BDP-105 which I liked, till I heard a DAC with a better chip.

The Teac NT-503 smokes my Oppo, but I've not heard the newer Oppo stuff. If they are still using off the shelf chips, then yeah, your Multibit, and the Teac will smoke them as well.  

I still prefer my DirectStream, but the Teac is very close second.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Progress is man's
ability to
complicate
simplicity

Reply #9 - 12/08/17 at 22:48:47

LR, did you download the new Redcloud software for DirectStream DAC today?  If not, you need too.  You REALLY need too!!

Been listening for the last 4 hours.  My guess is it will create a bit more distance from that stock Teac.

« Last Edit: 12/08/17 at 22:49:45 by Jeff of Arabica »  

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 12/08/17 at 23:27:18

Good news Jeff, these upgrades are wild. I at first was hoping there weren't too many as it's a pain for me . . . somehow they never download correctly so I've been buying cards from PS Audio. But the Torreys then Huron were really good improvements. Nice to hear that Red Cloud is as well; I ordered a card today.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Progress is man's
ability to
complicate
simplicity

Reply #11 - 12/09/17 at 10:03:02

Yeah Lon, I was really pleased with how reliable and easy this update was.  I installed Redcloud and also updated the new firmware on my Bridge II today, which was stupidly easy since it updates via ethernet, so nothing to download.  

I listened all day and night.  Just finished... I am out of gas, but what a ride.  I think you are going to be in for a pleasant surprise!   Smiley

Let us know when you receive the update and have time to listen.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 12/09/17 at 13:02:40

I should be joining you guys on Red Cloud mid-next week. I have had so much change going on in my systems lately. The ZROCK2 has changed how I use my P10 and the tonal controls on my Torii Mk III and gotten me changing sound in ways I haven't for a while. . . so my "benchmark" has been more fluid. But I'll be able to hear the differences in the OS I'm sure.

In my second system I did something radical: I bought a Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated for an awesome price and it is now the centerpiece of my second system. Its interior DAC is very good, better than the Denon flagship universal players by a hair (both are 32 bit DACs) and though it's a Sabre and I haven't like these in the past it doesn't seem to share the same shortcoming I've heard in others (a sort of dryness and a midrange edginess). It's really spacious and yet smooth sounding. The headphone amp sounds nearly as good as the Taboo Mk III I had in that system on my Oppo headphones. . . which is a feat. And the (most recent incarnation of I think) ICE class D amp section has immense power and really drives the speakers I've been using (Peachtree Audio bookshelf, Trapeziums) so much better than the Taboo even when driven upstream by a ZBIT AND a CSP2+). Great sound . . . not traditionally solid state or tube like, a good fusion of the best of both. It has a tube buffer stage built in as well that is switchable in or out, even with the headphones.

And it has a current source volume control which really works well at keeping consistent balance at all volumes and really allows detail and nuance to shine through. Even if used as just a preamp (has preamp outputs) it's a very good piece of gear, with that excellent volume control and great DAC, and  has two coaxial and two optical inputs and a USB input and has built in USB drivers for MAC for those who might use computer audio.

As it has the built in DAC I can now watch and listen on headphones to programs on TV upstairs when Lucy is doing something else downstairs, a plus.

Peachtree Audio also made basically the same DAC/pre (with balanced inputs and I think outputs) and called it the Grand Pre--that too would be a good choice for a DAC. I've seen these for about 1000 now that they've been discontinued by Peachtree (Peachtree seems to just build a big run of a component and then come out with a new model rather than make another run).

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print