Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
01/19/18 at 01:36:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audioquest Dragonfly Red (Read 189 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Audioquest Dragonfly Red
11/29/17 at 04:24:45

Ok, so I bit for $200 and got this Dragonfly. Figured that I might want to get the deluxe model, so as not to have buyers remorse. I haven't really horse raced this DAC against the other hi-fi DAC that I have. In fact, I only got it because it can do MQA streaming. No, I really haven't even had much of a chance for that either. So, here is what I DO know. I like this  unit feeding my headphone amp. It couldn't be simpler to use, and absolutely no complaints about the sound. I am getting a short cable to extend the DAC away from the USB port though. Just seems like a target hanging out there to get snapped off. They say I should get the Jitter Bug filter to use with it, but I'm not going that far. The computer that LR practically gave to me is not running a bunch of programs to begin with, and so this is more than I bargained for as it is.

Oh yah, as an amp, it does very well with my Hi-Fi Man HD400S, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it will drive the ORI phones to their best. It gets them started, but no, no, there are better options out there.

« Last Edit: 11/29/17 at 04:28:38 by 4krow »  

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Verified Member

Re: Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Reply #1 - 12/18/17 at 16:22:53

I ordered one too! It's nice and small so I can take it with me to motels and rental cabins. I'll run it initially with an older sony receiver until I can save my pennies for something better. Hopefully my traps will arrive in early January to pair it with.

Torri MKIV, ZP3, Marantz SA8005, Zenstyx, klipsch KG4's, Emotiva CX6, CX2, Canare & Zen connetcts, AT120P TT, 2MBlue, Sonos
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Reply #2 - 12/18/17 at 18:35:13

So far, I like the convenience that it provides with my computer. The sound is just fine for most applications.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print