Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/17/17 at 23:41:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZDAC2 new owner very confused (Read 1121 times)
martin

ZDAC2 new owner very confused
10/27/17 at 23:56:20

I finally got my ZDAC2 today.  And...  I'm finding myself at a point where I'm really confused.

What I thought was that I'd get it, disconnect my computer's RCA outputs (from where I've been playing my networked digitized .flac music from through Windows media player) from my Rachael and plug those into the ZDAC2 inputs.   Then, I expected to connect the RCA outs from the ZDAC2 to the Rachael.  For some reason I also thought I'd find an easy to use interface/program from where I'd browse my music collection and select what I wanted to play.

Ummmm...  For some reason I'm feeling totally lost.  The first thing I don't understand is why the RCA inputs have been converted to outputs.  There are now two sets of RCA outs but no inputs.  I'm thinking one set, in the area where the XLR outs are, might be the unmodified TEAC outputs?  If so, what option would I best use for an input?  The USB port looks like my only option since I don't have an optical out.  I will try that but I haven't yet got the old-style USB cable with the almost square shaped jack.  

I've installed the TEAC program for Windows but there's no connection yet to the ZDAC2.  The Android version is on my phone now but it doesn't seem to be able to access the .flac files on my network drive.

And am I right that the XLR outputs have been covered in a way that seals them so they can't be used?

I'd like to ask, how are those of you who've got one of these hooking it up and controlling it?  It seems right now that I just keep hitting walls.  Is there (I hope!!!) a manual somewhere here that explains some of this?  I didn't see anything for that on the ZDAC2 page here...

Thanks!

IP Logged
martin

Re: ZDAC2 new owner very confused
Reply #1 - 10/28/17 at 00:05:43

One more thing, is there are support forum link for the ZDAC2?  I don't see that.  If not, would you mind starting one Steve?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 10/28/17 at 00:20:47

Martin, I assume you are looking at this page?

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDAC.html

You need to connect the ZDAC2 to your computer using a DIGITAL connection. The RCA outs from the computer are ANALOG outs. Sounds as if you need to obtain and use the USB connections. Once you have the computer connected via USB cable you should be able to access the files. (I don't use computers or music files myself, I'm not the best assistant here, but I do know that you will have to use the USB connection to connect the two devices.)

There does not seem to be a support forum for the ZDAC2 created yet.

Yes, the XLR outputs for the ZDAC2 have been replaced with Jensen balanced transformers which change that voltage out to single-ended RCA outputs, those outputs on the upper right of the rear panel. Those RCA outputs will be used to connect to the RCA inputs on your Rachel.

« Last Edit: 10/28/17 at 00:27:46 by Lon »  

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #3 - 10/28/17 at 02:23:50

Thanks for your reply, Leon!

Yes, the link you gave is the unit I'm talking about.

I obviously need to do a lot more research.  As of right now I've not figured out a way to get any sound at all from the ZCAC2 to my Amp.  A Sandisk memory stick with .MP3 files, for example, produces nothing.  It seems like a jungle full of menu options and such right now.   Sad

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/17 at 09:11:06

1. Install the Windows 64bit or 32bit ASIO driver on your PC,
2. Install a USB cable from your PC to the DAC,
3. Use the RCA out connections from the DAC into your Rachel.
4. Go into Windows "Sound Control Panel" and set the TEAC USB Audio Device as the default playback device ~ (see the link to the ASIO install guide for further settings you need to do),
5. Open whatever Media playback software you are using and test it out.

Here is the TEAC download link to all the guides, etc.

I'm not sure about the USB memory stick.  But you do need the remote App installed to access the files.  I think Lonely Raven has this device and would be someone to reach out to for further instructions.

IP Logged
martin

Reply #5 - 10/28/17 at 20:28:49

Thanks for the reply Beowulf.  It's looking like my problem is partly a Windows issues besides ignorance of the workings of the ZDAC2.  Even after installing the drivers, the list of playback devices doesn't include the DAC.  This, despite having it show up in "Devices and Printers".

More work to do...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/28/17 at 21:20:26

What version of Windows are you using? Make sure to install the correct drivers (either 64 or 32 bit).  

Make sure you reboot after installing the drivers and that the DAC is powered on and hooked up to your PC via USB prior to boot up.  I know in my DAC, the unit has to be powered on before it will show up in the Windows sound options, so hooked up via USB and the DAC needs to be powered on.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 10/30/17 at 21:10:36

Forgive me for not posting this sooner, but even though we preset your DAC to the correct output, it would be easy enough to change without realizing it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
martin

Reply #8 - 10/31/17 at 23:31:26

Thanks, Steve, I appreciate that.  My problem right now, though, seems to be that my Windows 7 64bit system will not connect properly with the DAC.  It does show up as a working device but it doesn't display as one of the options in playback devices.

I've installed and reinstalled the drivers without success.  I'm wondering if I'm going to able to make this work.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 11/01/17 at 01:07:47

Martin, beowulf gave you good advice above, be sure that you've done this:

Make sure you reboot after installing the drivers and that the DAC is powered on and hooked up to your PC via USB prior to boot up.  I know in my DAC, the unit has to be powered on before it will show up in the Windows sound options, so hooked up via USB and the DAC needs to be powered on.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #10 - 11/01/17 at 21:16:45

Thank you Lon.  I've done that; still no love.  It seems I'm likely to miss out on the benefits of the thing.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/02/17 at 01:18:34

Martin,
Before you give up, borrow another computer and try it. I had one computer that simply would not recognize my Teac 501 no matter what I did. I tried another computer or two and it linked up easily with no problem. I finally bought a new computer and just like the others, it hooked up easily.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #12 - 11/03/17 at 00:43:17

Yes, I know this might be a matter of computer voodoo.  Good point; I'll have to think about whether or not I'm in a place to buy a new computer for it...

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is the
strongest form of
magic"

Reply #13 - 11/03/17 at 06:44:57

Martin,
Have you contacted TEAC?  I only mention this because the electronics are stock TEAC and this issue is probably best solved by TEAC directly.  I have to believe you are not the only person to have experienced this particular problem.  

Seems to me it is worth the effort to call or email them for advice before throwing in the towel.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 11/03/17 at 18:51:01

Just don't mention the mods at all!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 11/03/17 at 18:54:16

Also, I'll be putting together a step by step write up and have it in the Digital section for the Decware forums - I have the original (non-modified) Teac DAC, and have been using it for weeks now with great success. I'm also building inexpensive Tiny Form Factor PCs pre-setup for the DAC for those who don't want to muck with computer setup.

I'll see if I can post more about this tonight when I get home from work. Between being sick for 3 weeks, and traveling for work, I've not had much time for anything besides listening!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 11/04/17 at 19:43:52

I'm kind of late to this but I noticed that you are playing .flac files through Windows Media Player. I didn't think that Windows recognizes .flac files.
Maybe newer versions do, I deleted it years ago and never looked back.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #17 - 11/08/17 at 05:17:13

Hi Donnie, yes I'm playing .flac files with Media Player after having done something quite a while ago (and therefore don't remember what!  :P ) to make that work.  It's been fine since.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print