Send Topic Print
Cleaning vinyl (Read 2318 times)
John-M
Verified Member

Music is life.

Cleaning vinyl
09/18/17 at 23:48:00

Greetings!

It's been 30+ years since I listened to vinyl.  I just received a ZP3 today and am finally spinning the black again.

Question for the hive mind:  how do you clean your vinyl before playing it?  Back In The Day I used a a Discwasher that was just a wooden block with some padded "directional" fabric on it and some "cleaning fluid".  What improvements have been made over the decades?

Thank you all for your time.

John

Ah! Tjoeb, POS JVC turntable, ZP3, SE34I, RL2's, WO32.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: Cleaning vinyl
Reply #1 - 09/19/17 at 01:59:15

Hello John,
welcome back.

The Discwasher has long been surpassed.
I use a VPI 17F and it is quite effective.
There are other vacuum machines at various price levels that do a great job. My recommendation for a vacuum machine as follows.
I would no longer buy a VPI 17, as I prefer to apply the cleaning fluid manually and then vacuum. The VPI 16 is fully up to that task.

Also google up " steam cleaning vinyl records ". The combination of steam cleaning ( which works very well ), with the VPI set-up really gets the grooves clean.

That said, many believe the new cats meow, STS, in vinyl cleaning lies in the ultrasonic cleaners. I've never used one so I can't compare the two methods. Tread carefully there, as some believe the cavitation process used in ultrasonic cleaning damages the grooves, especially in the high frequencies.

The ultrasonic cleaners are pricey. I'll stay away because of the price and the fact that I get superb results using a combinastion of steam cleaning and the VPI.

Cheers,       Crazy Bill        ;D

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/17 at 16:52:48

I use the Discwasher with a fluid that I make up with Photo Pro and distilled water.  I also use Mofi sleeves.  Once the vinyl is clean and stored in good sleeves, I find only light, superficial, occasional dust that easily cleans with a carbon brush of the Discwasher.  My vinyl plays with no noise generally.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 09/24/17 at 17:48:19

I have been using a carbon fiber brush and Signet ultrasonic cleaner for my stylus for every. I have used the LAST products, record cleaner, deep cleaner, record preservative and stylus cleaner for at least 30 years. I have just started talking to Sonic/Scott about Record Cleaning Machines and really think that I need to take it to the next level. Anyone here using VPI, OkieNikoe, Nitty Gritty, Record Doctor, Project or something else? What are your thoughts? Up sides / Downsides? Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Dynavector D17 mkIII Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/25/17 at 17:47:09

i use a $79 spin clean with a basic nitty gritty (i picked up a new one on ebay for $200) to vacuum it after.  been cleaning records for yrs with these.

pretty good combo.

CSP3, CAD 120s MKII, UFO2, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands/betsys/Augies/Alpha15. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 IC,
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/17 at 01:15:18

How about glueing a record? Elmer's Glue gets everything out of those grooves

SE84UFO; ZSTAGE; HR-1 SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; AH! NJOE TJOEB CDP; MARANTZ 2226B; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
55   IP Logged
DirtDawg
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/17 at 08:45:54

I tried that once on a Gino Vanelli LP (only album I had handy that I knew I did not care about). It seemed to pull a lot of stuff off, judging by looking at the glue, after allowing it to cure for two days.

The only problem was that, "as advertised"  the glue did not come off in one quick swoop. It was actually troublesome to remove.

I probably won't try it on an album I like.

WWW DirtDawg DirtDawg NO! NO!   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 11/24/17 at 23:34:31

How about a list of record cleaners and the pros and cons. Just landed a new Dynavector cart and now would like to ''up'' the game on the record cleaning front, something better than the Last products (which have been darn good for 30+ years). Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Dynavector D17 mkIII Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
neac1976
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/25/17 at 00:30:28

Chris, I have been using The Audio Desk Systeme Pro (from Germany) for more than a year now.  It is a wonderful investment for your LP's.
1. Just place in an album and it cleans both sides at once.
2. You can adjust the "scrubbing time" in accordance with how dirty your albums are.
3. When done cleaning, it dries the albums automatically and even beeps to tell you that the cycle is finished.  The albums are always sparkling clean AND dry, without any hint of residue.
4. I have several hundred LP's ranging from the vintage weight to new 180 gram weight releases and it cleans all equally as well.
5. Always keep and eye on the rollers as they do age and need to be replaced periodically.  
6. It is simple to operate and in my opinion does exactly what it is supposed to do album after album after album...

Take care, Mark

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 11/25/17 at 16:36:21

Mark - That looks like an amazing piece of gear and I bet it cleans records like no other. Sad to say that would be way out of the $$ range for now. Thanks for the info and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
neac1976
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/25/17 at 21:39:31

Chris, I am located in Naples, Fl., if you are close by, bring all of your albums over and you can clean them at my house.
Mark

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 11/25/17 at 22:24:44

Mark - Thank you for the offer but Santa Cruz California is almost as far away from Florida as you could get and still be in the USA...Alaska would be further I guess. A truly generous offer though, and happy listening. Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print