Send Topic Print
Superphon Project (Read 760 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Superphon Project
09/14/17 at 17:56:27

As luck would have it, I got my hands on a pre-amp that I sold about 35 years ago from a friend. It has actually survived a house fire, but due to some heat issues, I decided to gut it and start anew. Painting the chassis was simple enough, but I skipped the faceplate and rear panel, which I will decide on what I might do in the end. I will be adding new circuitry in the form of a buffer amp, using with it a set of mono volume controls. I have done this before with great results. We will see where this leads.

P9140002.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Superphon Project
Reply #1 - 09/14/17 at 19:53:09

I'm not familiar with it, but that does sound like a neat history.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 09/14/17 at 20:20:29

LR,

Superphon may have been the predecessor to PS Audio. Stan Warren, and that other guy, um what's his name 0), Paul something. Anyway, they worked together a number of years. These units had a separate chassis for the transformer, and I discovered that the DC portion of the power supply ran at 24 volts. It *was* quite robust. There was too much trouble to deal with it all, and after looking over the circuit boards, I decided that they weren't the best there was to begin with.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 09/16/17 at 02:58:44

Evenin' Folks,

A good start for sizing, drilling a bunch of new holes and some layout. Got a long way to go.

P9160001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 09/16/17 at 03:00:05

One more.

P9160003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 10/21/17 at 02:14:05

Just about there. Installed the tube buffer and a different sort of animal. An AR TDS202 module. Basically, it is a set of output transformers and a couple of filters designed to be a sort of loudness circuit. I found a small black enclosure to mount it in, and will be doing some listening soon.

PA190001_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print