Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/24/17 at 13:15:40†

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to get the most "clinical" sound (Read 203 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

How to get the most "clinical" sound
08/14/17 at 02:43:47

this might be too general a question but using the tubes available to us, is there a way to create a "clinical" sounding torii?  what i mean by clinical is specifically detail oriented and dead quiet.  maybe it's my tubes, but when i listen with my ear to my speaker(i know this is insane)i hear tube static - distortion - i imagine.  anyway what i'm wondering is are there specific tube types that are known to sound more clinical or more like SS?  maybe i'm not making sense.... Grin

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Re: How to get the most "clinical" sound
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 18:47:39

I guess this is a pretty vague question. What Iím wondering is how do you get the most pure sound from the torii? The least contoured by tube set brand make year. Just what tube numbers are best for getting a pure zen sound? In your estimation.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - Yesterday at 19:49:19

I would guess that the stock tube set would be the benchmark Zen sound. . . .

Otherwise I think room and personal taste and system synergy make it very hard to say "this is it" for anyone other than oneself. . . .

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is what
feelings sound
like" -Georgia
Cates

Reply #3 - Yesterday at 20:03:12

Excellent answer Lon!

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//Ultrasone Signature Pros//UM Miracle CIEM
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - Today at 00:21:30

Well said.

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3
Sonist Concerto4
VPI Signature Classic Rosewood

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - Today at 02:55:01

If seeking a "clinical" sound in my system this is magnified/achieved (that's possibly two sides of the same coin) with the Ruby 5U4G rectifiers, Electroharmonix or Gold Lion 6922s, and Tung-Sol EL34 tubes. That's a sort of sound I find clinical in my system, and is NOT the sound I want from my system.

I'm finding a warmer, sweeter sound with RCA 5V4 rectifiers, Philips or or Mullard 6922 types, and 6CA7 or KT66 tubes.

The beauty of my Torii (which is a Mk III) is that it is a chameleon--even with a clinical tube set as mentioned I can change the nature of the sound with the "tone controls" and the bias and speaker settings. It's fascinating how I can make almost any tube complement musical. This is the genius of the design for me and what has cemented the amp as the heartbeat of my system.

« Last Edit: Today at 02:55:49 by Lon »  

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - Today at 04:51:32

hey guys.  thanks for the comments.  in my head i was thinking it was the stock tube set, but i dont really have any one to bounce these ideas off but you guys.  so i've gotta go back and try the stock tubes - and remember what those were!  my main concern here is that those tubes will have a lot of hours on them. i guess we'll find out when we find out!  the one thing i remember about the stock tube set was that i struggled with boomy bass n a room that was problematic to say the least.  cheers folks!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - Today at 06:49:32

roggae,

What tubes are you using now? And what do you, and don't you like about the sound from that set? From there we could recommend something to help clean things up.

PSA P5/modified Brickwall/Shunyata Defender/more; MacMini/Audirvana>Jitterbug/Regen> modified Gustard x20pro DAC; DIY + Pi Audio PCs; DIY ICs + USB; Decware-Jupiter CSP3, Torii MKIV, HR1-all modified; DIY Speaker Cables; feet-Madscientist, SynRes, Archie's, isocup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print