Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/17/17 at 19:56:18

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6 Watts per channel enough power for home theater? (Read 968 times)
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

6 Watts per channel enough power for home theater?
08/09/17 at 19:34:55

So I am having a dilemma when it comes to buying amps to run my system. I used to own an SE84 UFO and absolutely loved it. However I feel like it ran out of steam on certain music and during movies. I was seriously thinking about buying 3 and using them in monoblock configuration for front left, right and center. So that would over double the power of what I was running before. The room is not large at all and I am powering some pretty efficient Tekton Pendragons.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: 6 Watts per channel enough power for home theater?
Reply #1 - 08/10/17 at 00:33:41

Great question. I struggle with the same question in my TV system. I use an SE84UFO2 fronted by a CSP3 into Trapeziums and 15" sub. I like the sound, and I try not to mess with it.

Edit: I think the CSP3 is the key player in this set up.

« Last Edit: 08/10/17 at 00:35:38 by busterfree »  

PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II; Decware ZTPRE; First Watt J2; Klipsch Forte II, PS Audio P10
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/17 at 05:03:36

For roughly the same money of (3) SE84UFO2 you could get a TORII and never worry about running out of steam.

I've found the SE84UFO to be more than sufficient for home theater use by hitting the front end with 3-6 volts. That and the powered sub I'm using sound fantastic in my smallish 15x18 room.

Thorens VN-150
2M Bronze
ZP3
ZSTAGE
_______

Moon 230HAD
ZROCK
_______

SE84UFO
ZSTYX
Dayton PS220-8
DeepOmega 8
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is what
feelings sound
like" -Georgia
Cates

Reply #3 - 08/10/17 at 05:08:44

Jeff,
Best for us to know your HT multi channel source in order to best comment/advise.  The ability of a lower wattage Zen amps to produce enough volume/weight for movies will depend on the output voltage of your source and whether there is a pre-amp in front of them.

Chances are you will probably be fine with mono bridged Zens depending on your loudness preference.  Looks like your speakers are 95 dB @ 8 ohms.  I use a bridged mono Rachel for my center channel which is and Omega CAM 94.5 dB @ 8 ohms and it does a great job, but it is also 12 watts in in bridged mono.  But even then, if the source is bad/weak, like cable TV content, I have to crank it up pretty far to get the volume I like.  But with Blu-Ray, DVD, HD streamed movies/shows, it is more than enough.  There are lots of variables that come into play.  I think Stone felt that Tekton's were a little overstated in their efficiency, which required a little more juice to get to volume.  If that is the case, I would probably look for something with more power for HT, if you like it loud and want that cinema-like experience.  

A pre-amp would change the game.  Just put an Ultra in front of the SE84UFO2's and call it a day.  ;)

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback pre-amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//Ultrasone Signature Pros//UM Miracle CIEM
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/17 at 22:25:42

Thank you for the responses.
As far as the TorII, that only takes care of two channels not three. So for 3 SE84 UFO's at $3000 that covers the entire front stage.

For sources I am using an Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Comcast cable, and a Yamaha WXC-50. The pre amp I am "currently" using is the Outlaw 975. Here are the specs. It looks like the voltage output is 2V.

specifications
Analog Section

Input Impedance

47Kohms

Output Impedance

(Main-RCA)<1KOhms

Pre Out

2V

Maximum Output

2.7V

Frequency Response

Line 10Hz to 22kHz 1dB

S/N Ratio (IHF-A)

100dB

Volume Range (Main)

-90dB to +0.0dB
I also am running an SVS Sub.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/11/17 at 05:15:31

You will want a preamp with more output to get the most out of those zens.

Thorens VN-150
2M Bronze
ZP3
ZSTAGE
_______

Moon 230HAD
ZROCK
_______

SE84UFO
ZSTYX
Dayton PS220-8
DeepOmega 8
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is what
feelings sound
like" -Georgia
Cates

Reply #6 - 08/11/17 at 07:40:54

Seems like your Oppo and Outlaw are redundant.  The Outlaw is not a true pre-amp and will not offer any gain increase.  It is a surround sound processor with RCA pre-outs, but doesn't seem to do anything the new Oppo couldn't.  

What roles do the Oppo and Outlaw fill in your system?  

The Oppo or Outlaw would be a great source to then feed an Ultra pre-amp which would get you more gain to the Zens.  I would get the (3) Zens and feed them with the Oppo (or Outlaw).  It may be all you need.  If you need more volume/weight/dynamics, simply add the very bad ass Ultra pre-amp and you will have an "end game" all tube HT system that will surely satisfy.  It is also a great 2 channel pre-amp for music listening!  

Having no experience with your speakers or listening preferences, it is hard to say for sure if the bridged Zens alone will suffice, but on paper, it seems like it could.  And if it doesn't, throw a pre-amp in between when your budget allows and call it a day.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback pre-amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//Ultrasone Signature Pros//UM Miracle CIEM
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/17 at 20:43:04

How about the specs on this avr I am looking at using?

Input Sensitivity and Impedance      200 mV/47 kΩ(LINE)
2.5 mV/47 kΩ(Phono MM)
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance      200 mV/470 Ω(Pre Out)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance      4.6 V/470 Ω(Pre Out)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 09/15/17 at 22:10:51

Hard to say. . . these amps will show you the quality of the source, so the better. . . the better. . .

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print