Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/24/17 at 13:16:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just put an order for an SE84UFO... (Read 573 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Just put an order for an SE84UFO...
07/27/17 at 17:29:23

After selling (quite a few years ago) my two SE84C+'s which I bridged for mono, I decided to jump back on the wagon and ordered an SE84UFO with Beeswax caps!  I hope it will take less than the 5-8 weeks of wait!

« Last Edit: 07/27/17 at 17:49:39 by alper_yilmaz »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Put an order for an SE84UFO...
Reply #1 - 07/27/17 at 17:51:57

Hmmm. . . my last two purchases took 12 weeks or so to arrive. Hope your wait is less.

Congrats!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Just put an order for an SE84UFO...
Reply #2 - 07/27/17 at 19:26:29

Thanks Lon!  I am crossing my fingers as well.  When I look at the waiting list, it looks like there are not as many outstanding orders as it used to be.  But of course, it is summer time at the same time and business might slow down a bit.

A question to the floor, by the way...  I have been fancying buying a set of Spatial M3 Triode Master open baffles at 95dB.  These are 16-ohm speakers, by the way.  In the old SE84's there was an option for output transformers suited for 16-ohm speakers.  I do not see that option any more.  How do you think the SE84UFO would react to an 16-ohm load apart from some reduction in volume?

Best,

Alper

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/31/17 at 21:21:06

So exactly after a month and four days after I put my order, the parts for my SE84UFO are pulled together!  Another 3-4 weeks maybe?   Smiley

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/17 at 21:36:54

And already "on bench!"

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/17 at 07:47:00

The wait is almost over!  The amp was shipped yesterday and is expected to arrive on Thursday!!!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/17 at 16:16:58

A small change in the plans...  The amp is arriving tomorrow.  So exactly 6 weeks and 4 days!  Exciting!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/17 at 18:33:38

So the wait is over!  This morning UPS delivered my amp!  I immediately hooked it up!  Before getting into tube rolling, I just installed the stock tubes.  With this amp, I already love the stock output and input tubes any way; but I always like to try different rectifiers.  It is my first time that I am hearing a 274B.  As is, it sounds quite fine to me.

Right out of the box, the amp sounded much better than what I expected.  I am driving 91dB B&W's with it.  In the past, I remember that my SE84 Select had difficulty in driving these speakers, most probably, because of the complex crossovers.  So I bought a second one to bridge, but even that combination did not cut it.  In the end, I had to upgrade to a TORII mkII.  

The UFO is so loud and does not easily clip.  I also remember that the Selects were a bit shy on the bass with this setup.  The UFO sounds so even across the frequency spectrum with strong bass (might be because of the fact that my speakers are on the corners and might be benefitting from mechanical coupling).  The amp already has such a beautiful soundstage!  It is at quite ease with heavy passages in the music and sounds quite airy with some significant headroom.  

I cannot wait to hear it after 200 hours...   Back to burning it in!  :)

Cheers,

Alper

IMG_2500.JPG
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 09/15/17 at 18:50:38

Awesome Alper! I noticed with my Taboo Mk IV that the UFO transformers made a big improvement in that amp from the Mk III and so I'm not surprised! The amp is there in time for the weekend and ENJOY!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/15/17 at 19:21:37

Congrats Alper,

Enjoy the tunes.

JD

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/20/17 at 16:52:26

Just another update after approximately 40 hours of operation...

This amp is so freaking good!  In terms of its bass response, which I have always been critical of in low-power SET's, is still not very consistent, but it is getting there.  One day, it is to die for; the following day, it is mediocre at best!  But I am positive that it will be much better in another 20-30 hours.  Also, it might be from the actual recording as well, who knows...

The amp is dead silent.  I keep it cranked up and control the volume from my DAC/pre.  I am using some filters by Stein Music and BlackNoise to clean the power as well as power cables by DH Labs, so they definitely contribute to the black background, but the amp takes the major credit for that.

I have mostly listened to jazz so far, as well as some electronic music.  The upper shimmer of cymbals, the body around tenor sax, the balance between the right and left hands of the piano, the strings hitting a low-action upright bass when played in a percussive style, all the upper harmonics presented in a bass clarinet, or the mid-forwardness of guitar; they are all there...  Instruments have this air around them, as if there is some extra reverb thrown in the mix (not in a cheesy sense)...

The sound stage is such that if you do not look into where the two speakers are located, it gives you the impression that there is a wall of instruments and amps on the stage taller and wider than the size of my room!  The separation and the detail are all there.

Even though the earlier versions of this amp were good as well, I must admit this version with the UFO is a significant step-up.  

Thanks for a great product at such a low price, Steve!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print