Send Topic Print
ZROCK2 (Read 669 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ZROCK2
07/26/17 at 22:47:08

We are now shipping ZROCK2 to all those with who had the original ZROCK on order.

I have also re-written the ZROCK web page to reflect the design changes.  

The ZROCK 2 has fully variable equalization that can be set as high or low as you want.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZROCK.html

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZROCK2
Reply #1 - 07/26/17 at 22:53:39

As a followup to previous posts, while we are using a new power supply, it is set up to exactly duplicate the old one so the sound doesn't change. This means anyone with an original ZROCK could easily have it upgraded to a ZROCK2.  It also means that we have chosen to stay with the 12AU7 instead of the 6922/6N1P.  We built the ZROCK2 prototypes using the 6922/6N1P tubes and found too much variance from the original 12AU7 which caused the equalization curve to change slightly. So the 12AU7 wins in this product and will continue to be the recommended tube.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/17 at 00:10:49

ZROCK Tube Rolling

I have about 50 hours on my ZROCK2 and it is hitting its stride with a wider and deeper soundstage (than when it was brand new (three days ago).

The tube Steve supplied is a red tip 5963 made in U.S.A. and Steve told me he found some special NOS tubes for the ZROCK.

I am curious what is the make of the tube that Steve supplied (it is a short plate gray with two long ribs and three cross ribs (like a double pane window). The "Window Pane" is flanked by two small rectangle holes aligned with the center cross rib.

Based on online photos It looks like an RCA.

Photos to follow

I have enjoyed tube rolling in the past, does anyone have any suggestions or should I just enjoy the tube Steve supplied for the 10,000 hours

Peter

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 08/17/17 at 20:17:21

Peter, I don't have a ZROCK2 yet, I'm on the list with about 8 ahead of me so there's a wait. But that hasn't stopped me from researching tubes and buying a few. I thought the "oversized" 6085 looked like an interesting tube so I bought two of them, both Amperex SQ, one a "pinched waist" version. I'm eager to hear what they sound like!

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 12/10/17 at 20:03:53

Well my original ZROCK is in E. Peoria and will be delivered to Steve tomorrow.
It will be changed to the new version with silver RCA'S and copper caps.
I had made a few changes to my phono playback and the older version ZROCK was too bass heavy to use with it.
I am anxious to get it back.

Torii Jr
ZROCK
Manley Chinook
Sonist Concerto4
VPI Signature Classic Rosewood

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 12/10/17 at 23:22:43

Here's hoping it comes back soon. I think you'll be very happy with it.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,ZROCK2,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,SamsonV2+V3;CambrAudi CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print