06/27/17 at 14:51:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachel vs. SE84UFO (Read 211 times)
MarkR7
Verified Member

Rachel vs. SE84UFO
06/13/17 at 05:02:17

I currently have a mint SE84UFO that I only occasionally run with my Omega Super Alnico monitors. While it's a great amp, I don't use it often since I find myself wanting to play louder to fill my largish room (25' x 20' by vaulted ceiling). I prefer to listen in the 80 to 85 db range, with peaks hitting 100db area or so, which my First Watt F7 has no problem with.

At 6wpc, the Rachel is between 7 and 8 db more powerful than the SE84UFO, and should allow me to play noticeably louder.

What are the sonic differences between these two amps that I can expect? I would be thinking the Rachel .4 or .5 version with the UFO transformers and Jupiter caps.

Thanks!
Mark

Omega Super Alnico monitors, Red Dragon S500 amp, Decware SE84UFO amp, CSP2+ preamp w/Jupiter Copper Foil caps, Exasound E12 DAC, MacBook Pro running Roon/HQPlayer, Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme cables - SC, IC, PC, HFC CT-1 IC, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher
Verified Member

Re: Rachel vs. SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 05:14:08

I have no experience yet as mine are still on order, but why not bridge another se84ufo to get the extra power?  Might save money and sound as good or better.

IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 05:33:53

I think it would be cheaper to go with a Rachel instead of another SE84UFO, and I'd prefer to keep things simpler, e.g. one power cable, one set of tubes, etc., and use less space.

Omega Super Alnico monitors, Red Dragon S500 amp, Decware SE84UFO amp, CSP2+ preamp w/Jupiter Copper Foil caps, Exasound E12 DAC, MacBook Pro running Roon/HQPlayer, Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme cables - SC, IC, PC, HFC CT-1 IC, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 06/15/17 at 06:14:40

While I am a big fan of Rachael, you aren't going to be happy getting 6 watts instead of 2. Every doubling of watts only gives an increase of 3db, meaning your more likely to end up with 4db difference. A decent increase in volume would put you into a Tori Jr. at 20 watts per channel, possibly resulting in an increase of 10db, if I have math correct. In any case, you will be happier with too much power instead of too little. Been there before myself. Fortunately, the used market has good deals if you are patient.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
MarkR7
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/15/17 at 20:52:05

I suspect you are right. In fact, it seems that my system / room's sweet spot sure seems like it's in the 20wpc area or higher!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print