11/17/18 at 15:36:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preamp??? (Read 1914 times)
Last Lemming
Verified Member

Preamp???
06/10/17 at 04:27:16

Can the Rachael be used in conjunction with a preamp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Preamp???
Reply #1 - 06/10/17 at 05:06:45

Certainly. Make it a great one though.

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10, PowerBases,XStream Statemt spk cb,AC-12 power cds;Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3;Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;Aurios;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Sennheiser HD800
  IP Logged
Last Lemming
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/17 at 20:37:04

It's a balanced audio technology VK-3ix...?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 06/10/17 at 21:28:37

I don't know anything about it, but I bet it works fine. You'll love the sound of the Rachel!

HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th;PS Audio:Soloist SE,DMP+DSD,P10, PowerBases,XStream Statemt spk cb,AC-12 power cds;Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3;Oppo UDP-205;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;Aurios;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: Oppo PM-1,Sennheiser HD800
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 06/10/17 at 22:49:45

LL- you most certainly can use a Rachael with or without a pre-amp. As of now I am not using a pre, but will add a Decware CSP3 when I do. The BAT is supposed to be a good product, but if something sounds off I don't think it will be the Decware amp. Keep us posted on how it sounds and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Dynavector D17 mkIII Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
John C
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/17 at 22:29:49

I use a Tube Nirvana Aretha with mine. I wanted more bass since I listen at lower volumes, and the ZROCK wasn't available.

It is 6SL7 based and sounds great!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 07/21/18 at 02:57:43

I just saw this thread, and figured it wouldn't hurt to chime in. I think that I waited too long to try Rachael out with a separate pre-amp. It's not a perfect match just yet, but I am dialing it in. What I mean is that the pre-amp volume must not drive Rachael too hard from the input, and Rachael is a bit better just about 3/4 volume. Recording levels however, do vary, and so there is a bit of play for some. Sonically, it is astounding to me how much more I like the combination rather than just running out of most CD players.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 07/22/18 at 16:20:16

I bought a CSP3 off the forum here, send it back to the Zen Master to transfer the warranty and change out the base from black to a walnut to match our Rachael & ZP3. I really liked the Rachael & ZP3 combo but now will never part with the addition of the preamp. Better in every respect. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Dynavector D17 mkIII Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/09/18 at 12:42:08

Dear Forum members,
While we're on the subject of using a preamp with the Rachael, has anyone used one of Schiit Audio's preamps with the Rachael, particularly the Schiit Saga?
Thanks
Sime

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 09/09/18 at 15:23:08

Since I have not found specs for the Rachael concerning input sensitivity, and input impedance, then what you are left with is to try it and see.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/09/18 at 20:53:39

I think I’ll wait to see if someone in the Forum has used the Saga with the Rachael.

IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 09/21/18 at 20:25:49

I've used the Schiit Saga with the Rachael. I initially got the Saga primarily to add remote control of volume. I ended up returning it during the 15-day trial period to upgrade to the Freya. Saga has unity gain with a tube buffer stage; Freya has 14db of gain via its tube gain stage and a 128-step volume attenuator vs. the 64-step version in the Saga. The ability to ride the gain to better tailor the sound—which Steve recommended when I e-mailed him regarding the pros/cons of adding a preamp—was what motivated the upgrade. I was otherwise not unhappy with the Saga.

RPi/DigiOne/Volumio>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya>Decware SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/14/18 at 19:29:18

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you but thank you for your information. If I understand you correctly it was the greater flexibility that you achieved with the Freya amp over the Sauga that prompted you to upgrade. Correct?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print