Decware Audio Forums
04/27/17 at 21:51:15

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S3HOXRS (Read 1009 times)
JOMAN

S3HOXRS
03/04/17 at 04:49:11

Just got my Omega S3HOXRS.  This my initial review, 1st impressions of fit and finish.  IMPRESSED!!!

Theres a number of 1st's for me with these:
1st speaker I've owned finished with a laminate veneer.
1st speaker I've owned with 4.5" drivers
1st speaker I've owned with a magnetic grill

I chose the laminate veneer for a couple of reasons. Somewhere I read that the laminate veneer is less prone to dings and scuffs.  I think Steve may have pointed this out.  Very little upsets me more than when I get a new wood veneered item and in the process of moving it I accidentally ding or scuff it, this can initiate a volley of descriptive adjectives.  So the above comments registered with me.  I also hate it when wood veneer checks because the environment in my space is dry.  Hard to see from a distance but up close looks terrible - ugh.

My concerns were that laminate veneer can look fake and cheap and the joints can be very evident.  This laminate definitely does not look cheap and it does not look fake.  I think that most people would not even think it was laminate.  The joints barely visible and have a pleasing appearance because of the excellent fit and the color match is also excellent.  I had absolutely no reason for concern.

The appearance of the 4.5 inch drivers is going to take some getting used too as the smallest drivers that have been in speakers I've owned were 8" with the exception of one set that had a pair of 6".  Then there's the missing tweeter.  I actually find this amusing in a good way.  Of course when the grill is on you can't see the drivers any way.

The magnetic grills go on one way and pretty much centre themselves - NICE!  The look is somewhat retro and that is perfect for me.

I noticed that the specs on the labels indicate that these are 99DB not 87.5DB, and 4-6 ohm.  No biggie just interesting.  Steve's comments about these being of a size suitable for smaller spaces is right on.

So when it comes to fit and finish and value for the money - 10 out of 10.  Very, very pleased so far.  I have to wait to get my Zen Select and put a couple of hundred hours on both before I can comment on the performance.

IP Logged
Acetone
Seasoned Member

when music hits you,
you feel no pain

Re: S3HOXRS
Reply #1 - 03/04/17 at 17:32:23

Sounds like good things are in store. Enjoy the ride!

SuperZen-CKC, ZP3, ZSB, Zstage. VPI -Traveler-Ortofon 2M black. Tekton-Lores. Philips CDR-880. Decware-IC's, RAC-PC's & IC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+ Spkr wire, Blue Circle PLC FX2 X0e. Herbies tube dampers, tenderfoots, GIK & PI Audio &DIY room treatments.
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #2 - 03/04/17 at 20:16:39

Will just alerted me to a typo in my post.  Steve specs are 97.5DB not 87.5DB.  That was typo.

Thanks
Will

IP Logged
pursuitofnow

Reply #3 - 04/02/17 at 19:22:08

You get your amp yet? Any update on the performance of these speakers?

Thorens VN-150 2M Bronze ZP3 Moon 230HAD SE84UFO ZSTYX Dayton PS220-8 DeepOmega 8
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #4 - 04/08/17 at 12:06:20

Hi Pursuitofnow,

Just noticed your question.  Not yet.  The amp is now on the bench so I guess that I should get it in the next couple of weeks.

I'll post my initial impressions and follow up from there.  Steve did advise me to give the Super 3's at least 250 hours before comparing them with my ERR's.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print