ZROCK (Read 1855 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

ZROCK
02/14/17 at 19:57:43

Update 3/7/17  web page is now completed:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZROCK.html

STEVE IS ACCEPTING PRE-ORDERS FOR THIS NOW!

I was given the privilege to be the first to receive one of these.
I have been talking with Steve for several months now expressing some issues I was having and he had told me of something he had wanted to build that was probably a perfect fit for me.
Well after receiving it yesterday I would have to say, as usual, he was correct.
I have played a few dozen records so far from things that already sounded quite excellent to things that did not and the improvements are quite exceptional.

I will start with the effects on recordings that I "thought" already sounded as good as I would ever want them to.
The ZROCK made a very noticeable improvement in density throughout the frequency range everything sounded richer, fuller with more detail and with an unexpected increase in the soundstage which surprised me. I am also now able to reduce the toe in of the speakers quite a bit since the density is so much better. I am really surprised by how much more information I am hearing now and how much wider and deeper the soundstage seems to be. I was worried that it would be the opposite since I was adding another device into the signal path. Just a note I did have this built with the Jupiter caps as with my other gear.
I was also concerned that I would have too much bass, you know the non musical fill in type bass, not the case at all, everything is very balanced tight and full.

Now with things that were harder to listen to on a reveling system such as mine.
First there are two settings on this that give two distinctly different EQ signatures, one is very clear and dynamic and the other while increasing the lower end also rolls off the highs and should do an excellent job at allowing us to listen to some very poor recordings making them listenable again, thank you for this.
So far everything I have listened to has sounded excellent with the more dynamic setting.

With the increase in the lower register it really makes everything sound better in that it is fuller richer and deeper I also don't have the urge to turn it up to try and gain some density and impact anymore.
Before I would get up and turn it up and then get up and turn it down because it was just louder not better, and the real litmus test is my wife hasn't asked me to turn it down for two days meaning first, it isn't too loud anymore and second it sounds really good.
This is not just a low frequency boost on my system but a density boost all the way through.

I have to say this again because it is such a surprise to me, the part that floors me the most is how much more depth and width I seem to have now and it even seems clearer and more detailed probably because all of the information is better balanced now.
I am anxious to see how it will sound after some hours are put on it.

I want to say thank you to Steve for working with me all these months and helping me get to where I wanted to be, above and beyond what we expect in today's world. Great business man but more importantly Steve is a stand up guy.

« Last Edit: 03/07/17 at 23:29:44 by Steve Deckert »  

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3
VPI Signature Classic Rosewood

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: ZROCK
Reply #1 - 02/14/17 at 20:24:29

As of right now same as Zstage 649.00.

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 02/14/17 at 20:56:49

Awesome! Looks like I need to get an order in...... .
Nice first impressions SSeeker. Yeah, a pic or two from SS or Steve would be great. Input and Output back, etc...front view close up...... .

Yes, very "stand up".....Steve just fixed my ZMA ASAP and Sarah did a stand up job of getting it on the road back to me. No complaints here.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 02/14/17 at 22:42:27

« Last Edit: 02/15/17 at 13:59:05 by SonicSeeker »  

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 02/14/17 at 22:59:49

Pic

20170214_155452_resized.jpg

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #5 - 02/14/17 at 23:03:38

Pic

20170214_155507_resized.jpg

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/15/17 at 03:26:29

Iam sorry.... what exactly is this?  Did i miss the press release?

CSP3, CAD 120s MKII, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Pulse3, ZP3 jupiter, ZMC1, Schitt bifrost multibit, CEC TL5 transport, MG1.6QR w/ external xo & mye stands. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 IC,
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/15/17 at 06:01:32

Thorens VN-150 — 2M Bronze — ZP3 — Moon 230HAD — SE84UFO — ZSTYX — Dayton PS220-8 — DeepOmega 8
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/15/17 at 13:32:36

ah got it!  it has a name now.  that's the part i missed.

CSP3, CAD 120s MKII, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Pulse3, ZP3 jupiter, ZMC1, Schitt bifrost multibit, CEC TL5 transport, MG1.6QR w/ external xo & mye stands. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 IC,
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 02/15/17 at 17:00:03

Nice Pic's SS, thanks.

Now the switch in back is power off on I see and the EQ sig changer is the front one, correct?   Gold knob, gain of course.

What tube is in it? 6922 tube type, yes?

I too am shy of having another box in the chain, but your fears were alleviated. I have a matching IC (was used with my Preamp(s).....just itching to be used with the ZROCK)!

Have you tried any digital with it? Or, are you Vinyl only?
Of course, Steve's build team has been using it streaming. So, I am not worried about it taking on the digital redbook I want it to massage.
.....as you mentioned....it is tackling your best stuff with improvement...so I would and will do that first too.

Once again, nice review and I look forward to getting one. First, I am going to play around with my PAC-S's that come today.

My seasoned ZMA comes back tomorrow!  Oh, the pain of Solid State coming out of my Listening Room.....the pain the pain the pain..... Cry Cry

« Last Edit: 02/15/17 at 17:19:08 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #10 - 02/15/17 at 18:25:57

Stone
The horror..

The switch in the front is the bypass, on off, switch.
The one in the back is the two different EQ's.
The tube is a 5963 12au7 type.
Just vinyl Smiley

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 02/15/17 at 19:29:03

Cool, thanks SS.

Discuss more about using the gain/knob with the gain of your Jr., down the road when you're ready with more burn in/seasoning of it..... .

Sweet! I'll plug an uncle Kevy Mullard CV4003/12AU7, to talk/sing to my E188CC/7308 Mullard's in my ZMA inputs.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/mullard-cv4003-12...

Then again, Mull's to Mull's might be a bit much? If the tube Steve sends with it, is getting the job done....I will probably leave alone.

« Last Edit: 02/15/17 at 19:36:05 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #12 - 02/15/17 at 19:53:51

I just finished a little experimentation with a couple 12au7's I had, an RCA clear top and a Psvane and the 5963 he sent actually sounds best, so I guess I will leave it alone for now and let it burn in for quite a while before I try anything else.

« Last Edit: 02/15/17 at 19:54:27 by SonicSeeker »  

Torii Jr
ZROCK
ZP3

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 02/16/17 at 17:46:39

Nice. Sounds good.

My ZMA is out for delivery/coming back from the Mother Ship.  8-)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 02/16/17 at 18:53:13

My ZMA has been out of service with my livingroom torn up for home theater upgrades. I've been so busy with work, no time to listen, and I was craving it last night. So I feel you brother.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print