Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
01/20/17 at 14:09:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps? (Read 356 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps?
12/27/16 at 01:32:58

Hi guys

Placed my order for a pair of these mono amps on Black Friday. Ordered them with upgraded caps and with the stepped attenuated as well. Since I live far from Decware I haven't heard them, but I'm pretty sure they are as good or even better than Select I heard a while back, and also a step up from the MiniTori I have and will keep. No pre-amp in this setup, not sure if will get one either, not for a while at least.

So if anyone else has bought a pair please chime in

I do wonder if it can be built with a meter on them though, I like the detail, but that will maybe be a mono select version later

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps?
Reply #1 - 01/04/17 at 11:25:39

Emailed Steve a few days back. The reply was that with this chassis design, meters couldn't be added, but can be a possibility with a later design. The others part of the email was concerning the bias setting. Steve offered to add a bias setting switch or to build the amp with the aggressive setting. Since I haven't heard either setting and that I do not know what would be better in my system I decided to have the switch added to both amps. A little extra cost but now I don't have to wonder what would be better.

Now I am contemplating if I want to add a pre-amp, run long IC and shorter speaker cables.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 15:20:00

Keep us apprised of what you end up doing. I would love to hear those monos.

JD

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/17 at 14:59:41

I will. I was just reading a thread about using the miniTorii as a pre. My first buy from Decware was a MT, and it's a keeper for sure, even when the mono amps come. Maybe the MT can be a pre and find out  if the Mono's appreciate a pre-amp? Should it be used with the ordinary tubes?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 01:33:35

I thought that Decware keeps a list of what everybody ordered. You might see somebody on there who is waiting but won't post on the forums. These are not a high volume item because most folks look at the cost, currently around $2400 per pair and see 2.7 watts and go "hmmmm?" Is it worth it? Especially when you can get a 20 watt Torii Jr., for the same price; a 4 watt Mini Torii or a 6 watt Rachel for less.

One has to be a purist to want these mono blocks. The magic of the Super Zen and its new UFO version is undeniable. So I can see why a few would want to take that to the logical final highest level which is found in the mono blocks.

I think that Steve should offer the mono blocks in a single chassis with meters and adjustable bias. Maybe a Rachel sized platform would do.

As to bias, I liked the hot bias setting in my Super Zen when I had it. It just is more alive sounding.

TORII MK IV; TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR-1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 TT; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/17 at 03:21:53

Hi RR
Yeah you're right, I can probably find other buyers if I need to. When I was waiting for my ZP3 last spring I found my 2014 MT purchase way down on the list. And I totally agree with you, one can get more watts for less even at Decware. I really like the mini Tori a lot, and shouldn't actually need more gear,  but then on the other side I have read so much positive reviews of the zen and wanted a little something special. I don't need more watts either, I'm waiting for custom pair of Omega high output speakers, with alnico drivers instead of the 4inch drivers used in the Decware/Omega project. I have my hope up that this combo will be a cool upgrade, even if playing in the same park.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/07/17 at 16:47:32

Jorgan- Please keep us informed when the amps arrive. I would love to hear Omega's with Alnico drivers sometime. I do enjoy the heck outta our  Super 7XRS mk2's and going up to the Alnico drives would have been too much $$$(have to keep the bike running well also) but maybe someday. Very interested in hearing about your system. Happy listening, Chris.

Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, SE84CS, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Shinnon Red Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Stax Lambda Signature Pro & SRM-T1 tube amp, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/17 at 18:48:25

Hi HD
Yeah I guess a Harley cost a lot, up here I would expect 3000USD just to get a license.... I'm running the MT with 7"alnico drivers today, also from Louis. A 1.5 HO will be different, and with new amps a totally new setup. It seems the amps will be finish earlier than expected so I have treat soon to come.

Reading up on tubes and looking to get a few to roll, it's a pretty expensive hobby. I have a trick up my sleeve whenever my wife raises an eyebrow though, whatever I buy and she wonders the cost I say 500, no matter what.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 01/10/17 at 21:55:01

Reading up on tubes and looking to get a few to roll, it's a pretty expensive hobby. I have a trick up my sleeve whenever my wife raises an eyebrow though, whatever I buy and she wonders the cost I say 500, no matter what.

Jorgen,

And that works?  

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/17 at 01:05:00

Ehhh well she's a PhD graduate... so not born behind a barn. Maybe its more like the male equivalent to: it was on sale, I saved a lot...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print