Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/17 at 10:29:49 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Home Theater is Dead ? (Read 2019 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: Home Theater is Dead ?
Reply #15 - 01/07/17 at 17:39:13

Jeff, with all that tube power the heat must be out of this world.  I can imagine how amazing it must sound but honestly, the maintenance of such of system must be out of this world.  When you want to watch a movie you have to turn on how many amps?  

How often do you watch movies?

I watch movies where I think a good HT treatment would be great about once a week and that's for only a single movie.  If movies are your thing and the maintenance of your system is not a big deal for you then power to you.  Go for it.  You only live once.

Wow.

My system won't be as complex as yours and probably won't sound even close to as good as yours but I think it will do justice for my once a week endeavor.  

Jeff, can you provide some pics?  I'd really love to see your setup especially after all the tubes are on and the lights are down and you have all that tube-glow glory.

Did you mention the loudspeakers you use?  

Once again, wow.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica

Reply #16 - 01/07/17 at 18:44:38

Matchstik, it does get warm but not as alarming as you would think.  I don't need an active cooling and I have not had any issues with excessive heat in my cabinet.  I have all but one of my Decware HT amps in my Salamander Designs AV cabinet.  I removed the back panel and it has perforated metal on the sides and door panels so lots of passive air movement.  Heat has not been an issue.

As far as my viewing habits, I watch a couple movies a week and several TV series in HD.  I actually enjoy the system and reap its benefits on all content, including cable TV content.  Again, not necessarily due to SQ because "over the air" content is already behind the curve in terms of the signal quality, but because I can control output type and volume on each channel.

To be honest, I have had it setup less than a year so I can't really comment too much on maintenance.  I will say that it has not caused me any grief so far.  I keep some backup tubes on hand but aside from tube replacement, I can't imagine too much going wrong with it.  

As far as pics, sure!  I will say it is pretty bitchin looking at night.  I will try to take a few shots and post them here when I get a chance.  

My speaker situation is changing here shortly.  I am decommissioning my Monoliths by removing the DM946's from the companion bases and using them as my rear channel speakers.  I will be purchasing the new Omega Super Alnico High Output speakers (Not the model that will be offered here) for my mains.  My center channel is a Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD and my subwoofer is a Vienna Accoustics Subson which is sealed and very musical, but also works well for HT.  

All in all, it is a great system but probably one most here would consider an overkill.  I wavered for months thinking the same.  But the one thing that has surprised me most is that is improves my everyday television experience in general, not just movies, since I can balance it accordingly for poorly engineered content - which unfortunately is most.  And adjusting the knobs is not burdensome like I also thought it would be.  It is actually fun whereas I thought it would be a chore.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//ZDSD//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//ZP3//Zen Head//TEAC X-2000M//OPPO 103 (Modded)//Monoliths//ZMF Omni Blackwoods//Ultrasone Signature Pro's//UM Miracles CIEMs
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/07/17 at 18:56:34

Jeff, I've looked at those New Omega Alincos.  I have the old Omega Alinco XRS speakers that are bottom ported, which I prefer to what these new ones are...back ported.  If you can, give us some impressions of their use for 2 channel playback when you get them.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 01/07/17 at 18:57:23 by mark58 »  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print