Send Topic Print
MQA - Thoughts (Read 645 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

MQA - Thoughts
10/19/16 at 17:03:27

MQA was brought up in the General  forum, and I thought I'd drag that over here, our new Digital forum.  I posted about it last year, but all the info then was simply hype with no substance yet.

This is a great, short version of what I'm hearing about MQA from several vendors. When seen in this light, it doesn't look like it's really going to take off.

http://schiit.com/news/news/why-we-wont-be-supporting-mqa

And Paul McGowan's take on it thus far.

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/mqa-thoughts/

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: MQA - Thoughts
Reply #1 - 07/21/17 at 22:57:07

It looks as though PS Audio has accepted MQA and the DSD is now fully MQA compatible with the Bridge II.  If you are a DSD owner you can now stream Tidal with full MQA support to see what the hype is all about.  

The PS Audio DSD is the DAC that keeps on giving for sure!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/17 at 23:54:24

I literally just installed the Bridge II last week on my newly acquired Directstream DAC. And on Monday when the latest MQA compatible firmware was released, I updated the bridge to allow truly, unfolded MQA.  I am a happy camper streaming true MQA Tidal directly to my DS DAC via the Mconnect Control app on my iPhone.  

I have to say, when considering the features, convenience, and of course sound quality, with this latest MQA capability, I can't see letting this DS go.  I can even control the volume with my phone which is a great ancillary benefit.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//PS Audio P10//Ultrasone Signature Pro Headphones//UM Miracles CIEM
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 07/24/17 at 19:24:08

How is the volume working for you? I have a lot of glitches and just general clunkiness with it. I stopped using it for several months, but seems to work better now...still clunky, but no lockups.

Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/17 at 20:00:12

LR, are you referring to the Bridge II or Tidal?  

The only issues I am having with streaming Tidal through the Bridge II, and I would consider them more minor/annoying than anything else, is the Mconnect Control app (third party) used to stream Tidal to the Bridge II.  The usability of the app is fine, there are just a couple glitches that need to be ironed out.  

SQ is great and my setup with the DSD (w/ Bridge II) in place has never been better/simpler. And I love the ability to use my phone with the Control app as a volume control to the DSD.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//PS Audio P10//Ultrasone Signature Pro Headphones//UM Miracles CIEM
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 07/24/17 at 22:19:57

I forgot what I used to control the volume through the Bridge II before I got Roon, but until recently, remote volume control through the Bridge II was clunky and would just lock up randomly.

Currently I'm running Roon to Bridge II, and Tidal is an option - everything seems to be working, ignoring the lag time in volume changes. But at least it's not locking up!

« Last Edit: 07/25/17 at 16:07:39 by Lonely Raven »  
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/25/17 at 05:08:22

Before this latest Bridge II firmware update, 3.3.3, I was using Roon to stream Tidal to the DSD.  With the latest firmware, I now stream Tidal via the Mconnect, since it is able to fully unfold MQA, which Room is unable to do until PS Audio releases their next firmware which will bring Roon and full MQA unfolding to DSD via Bridge II.  

Anyway, so far the volume control the the Mconnect app has worked flawlessly.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 07/25/17 at 16:10:05

Ahh, I didn't realize Roon wasn't fully unfolding with the Bridge II yet - I thought this latest firmware *was* to fully unfold.

I'm also having trouble finding the mood of music I'm looking for in Tidal directly. For example: I fired up Roon, and it suggested Dark Ambient as a Genre and that felt like it suited my mood to I pressed play on that, and enjoyed Roon pulling tracks/albums it felt was Dark Ambient in my library. But once that ran out, and I tried to replicate that genre in Tidal, I kept winding up with tons of Hip Hop in my feed, plus being force fed new albums by Jay Z or whatever. I'm hoping it's just a learning curve, and I'm missing a better way of finding what I want,  but unless I knew exactly the name of the band I wanted to cue up, or if someone happened to put together a playlist suiting my mood, it wasn't happening. I wound up just shutting the music off in frustration and went to watching SiFi channel on the big screen.

« Last Edit: 07/25/17 at 16:14:38 by Lonely Raven »  
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/17 at 18:20:01

This update was supposed to also allow fully unfolded MQA through Roon as well, but in the 11th hour, something changed in the Roon SDK that wrenched it.  So, PS Audio decided to go ahead and release the new 3.3.3 firmware anyway allowing full MQA through the Mconnect app with plans for a quick follow up to fix the Roon MQA functionality.

Tidal is great if you know what you want, or your preferences happen to align up well with the in-house designed genres or tastes of the playlist creators.  Otherwise, Tidal via Roon to Bridge II is the way to go.  I have to imagine as Tidal exists longer, the genres will evolve and the playlist content will be a lot better.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/08/17 at 20:15:30

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 2, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Chord QuteHD with LPSU, DIY Belden ICs, Torii MKIII, SE34I.32, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, Vintage Western Electric 16g Speaker wires, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 08/09/17 at 19:48:22

That is interesting - pretty much clinches what I was thinking about MQA. The benefit will be in bandwidth...but I recall them saying that it also helps with provenance of the high def track - only the studios with the original master tapes are supposed to be able to make MQA files. Which means we won't run into the debacles like where people were buying expensive HDtracks albums that were nothing but software upconverted CD files.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print