Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/22/18 at 06:13:32 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What kind of turntable do you have? (Read 23909 times)
DirtDawg
Seasoned Member

Re: What kind of turntable do you have?
Reply #50 - 11/23/17 at 07:24:28

I have three.

Two old Dual and one Technics.

Honestly I listen to the one with the lowest "ratings" most often.

It is a direct drive, semi-automatic Dual from the early '80s.
I had to add some car door deadening material to its innards to keep the low frequency feedback from annoying me after I discovered real low frequencies.

I intend to upgrade my pre-amp, before I even consider looking at any other turntables.
They all work well.

WWW DirtDawg DirtDawg NO! NO!   IP Logged
Victor S
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 11/24/17 at 07:18:08

Thank you Archie and Jeff Smiley

IP Logged
jimmieg
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 11/27/17 at 16:26:12

I have a VPI Scout 1.1 with an Ortofon Quintet Bronze. Phono stage is Aqvox Phono 2Ci mk ll, running balanced.

super zen triode (ordered!) - omega shoa monitors - VPI scout - quintet bronze - aqvox phono 2ci - ayre cx7eMP
  IP Logged
trusturears
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 12/01/17 at 01:41:34

Rega RP6 w/Exact 2

RegaPlanet; UFO2; BlumensteinOrca; CaintuckBetsy; RegaRP6w/ExactII; Naim Stageline, NDX, 282/200, OvatorS400; HarbethCompact7ES2
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 12/01/17 at 01:50:35

Nottingham Interspace w/ heavy platter, modified Rega RB300 arm and Dynavector 20x2 LO cartridge.  I have this paired with a Dynavector P75MKII phono preamp and iFi Micro iTube2 Tube Buffer/Pre-Amplifier (just use the buffer setting).

HK

Lonely Raven Windows PC (or) TEAC PD-600H>TWL USB/coax cables>ZDAC2 (or) Nottingham Interspace TT w/ heavy platter + Dynavector 20X2LO + P75 MKII phono pre>iFi micro iTube>CSP3-25 preamp>Zen Mystery amp>Omega SAHO XRS speakers> ZenWave Audio IC's & PC's.
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #55 - 12/06/17 at 02:26:21

I have already replied to this post but I have two photos I'd like to share.
The VPI Scout Master with some White vinyl playing. My youngest daughter bought her first LP  :).
 The next photo is the Grado Sonata v2 I just installed

SM_12517_800x389.jpg

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Sonata 2, Counterpoint pre amp and amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Proac sp. and home made subs. Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1.
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #56 - 12/06/17 at 02:31:30

Photo of the Grado Sonata V2

Sonata_v2_800x450_001.jpg

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Sonata 2, Counterpoint pre amp and amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Proac sp. and home made subs. Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1.
  IP Logged
jmain
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 05/18/18 at 16:32:30

Upgraded AR XA here.

IP Logged
Showme
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 06/05/18 at 23:21:51

I have a Dual 1229 and a Thoren's TD-124. I just acquired a ebony Yamamota wooden headshell and would appreciate cartridge suggestions for the Thorens. It currently has a Audio Technica cartridge although I don't know which one that sounds pretty good to me. I have a Goldring 10-20 that was given to me that doesn't have a stylus. I hesitate to by a $300 stylus not knowing if the cartridge is good or not. Is there anyway to tell?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 06/05/18 at 23:56:50

I think the part that wears out is the stylus and suspension which are both part of what you'd be replacing.  The cartridge windings should be fine.

If you want to stay with moving magnet carts, the Ortofon Black or OM40 are both excellent.

IP Logged
Showme
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 06/06/18 at 01:00:45

Thanks, I'm not to well versed in cartridge knowledge.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #61 - 06/06/18 at 08:31:11

Showme,
Great question and very universal concern.  However, I feel that in order for us to best advise, it would be helpful to know what genre of music you hold to the highest, and what aural attributes are most appealing.  Cartridges are as unique as people.  There are a ton of folks on this forum that are extremely pleased with the cartridges they have adopted, but that does not guarantee success in your vinyl rig based on what you may tend to covet when it comes to sound quality.

What is the majority makeup, genre-wise, of your current vinyl collection?

What sound attributes are most important? (transparency, dynamics, treble sparkle, bass, etc)

I have gone through too many cartridges before realizing that I need to better define some things before engaging in a more focused, purposeful search for the right cartridge.

Jeff

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//DM946//Oppo UDP-205
  IP Logged
Showme
Verified Member

Reply #62 - 06/06/18 at 14:33:51

Jeff thanks for your response. I'll try to address a few of the questions. The two systems that have turntables both use Marantz receivers. A 2325 and a 2230. I'm 72 and so I listen to a lot of older music. I'm not too avant garde. Nora Jones, Boz Scaggs, Chris Isaak, Dire Straits etc. I wish I knew more about addressing your questions than I do but maybe that's a start. My other two rigs are tube amp setups with out turntables. One is a Zen with Betsy's playing CD's and streaming Tidal the other is a Scott 299D just playing CD's along with a tuner.

IP Logged
Carol
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 07/09/18 at 11:19:21

Rega Rp3

rega.jpg
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #64 - 07/24/18 at 02:07:06

Hello all,
A lot has happened since the original musings about the Amazon Grand Referenz/ Moerch DP8 combo. Tried the Fidelity Research FR66S on that table, and to my ears, a slight improvement over the Moerch. Though I could easily see others preferring the Moerch. A taste preference, if you will.

Both the Moerch and FR66s are gone now. A new king has arrived.

I have a 12 inch Riggle Universal Woody tonearm mounted on the Amazon Grand Referenz, using the AT 150MLX. This is, without a doubt, the absolute best and most natural and realistic music reproduction I have ever heard. Listening to an early first pressing Island pink rim Traffic " John Barleycorn Must Die ", I am completely lost and immersed.
I'm done.

Cheers,                        Crazy Bill

IP Logged
out-of-step
Verified Member

Reply #65 - 09/13/18 at 19:01:30

An early Well Tempered 'Table. They use silicone suspension instead of bearings. On the down sides, set up is unorthodox and dampening is via fluid level so one may never be satisfied it's set up 'perfectly', it's tricky moving them (fluid again), the arm wiring seems no heavier than a hair so pins will almost certainly break off when you remove a cart and the original matte black finish can wear right off. On the plus side, I find the sound quality excellent with the right cart. It's remarkably free of resonances and about as quiet a 'table as can be had. Looks like this one (not my photo) but the motor block on mine is square:

X
WTT + Soundsmith Othello - Schiit Mani - Pioneer 79DVi - Musical Paradise MP301mkIII (S.E.T. 6L6 amp) - Sennheiser HD-600
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print