Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/17 at 10:29:46 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The next project after the last one (Read 3579 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: The next project after the last one
Reply #15 - 12/22/16 at 19:03:45

There are currently 5 engineers designing new speaker designs in my cubical. It is a slow day at work.
The current design is a open baffle/ downward firing sub hybrid.
They are also talking Omni's.
I wonder if Corporate would approve.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 01/05/17 at 05:45:28

Make corporate listen to them first Wink

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 02/18/17 at 14:42:52

My Sonotube speaker building projects are gaining traction.
Calculations have been made on a transmission line subwoofer using a 10" Dayton driver. It looks like a 10" tube should be 89.13" long to achieve 37.7hz. Nothing like a 7.5' tall sub.
I'm planning to use this in my garage stereo. Most likely building a pair because it would annoy the neighbor more!
I am pondering on how to power these things. Do I use a cheap crossover and connect them to my Wadia DAC amp, or do I go with some sort of outboard amp with an adjustable crossover?
If this idea lives to fruition the next project would be using larger diameter Sonotube to make a full range speaker using the drivers from my DM clones. My CAD Monkey drew up a horn idea inside of a 24" tube. Real interesting but somewhat difficult to make the shape of the baffle. No hill for a climber.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 03/04/17 at 00:26:56

Well I settled on  12" Goldwood woofers and some Dayton 100 watt plate amps.
A quick trip to Menards tonight yielded a couple of 4' long 12" diameter Sonotubes. I then just taped them together and stuck a woofer inside.
Things got interesting after that. With no stuffing or even sealing the bass is very noticeable, even moreso outside.
There is still a lot of development work to do, a proper box built and then build the twin to this one.
Fun shit!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 03/05/17 at 06:39:27

Wow, that is quite a sono-sub!

Did you calculate the airspace at all? Wouldn't a single 4' tube have been enough?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #20 - 03/05/17 at 06:41:03

Oh wait, you did say this was a Transmission line of some sort? So it's wide open on the bottom (non-speaker) end?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 03/05/17 at 10:15:11

It is a quarter wave transmission line subwoofer. So yes it is more or less open, the driver on the bottom.
I stuffed it 2/3 of the way up with fiberglass and it helped it a lot.
The plan now is to make a box on the bottom to face the woofer out and help seal the whole thing up better.
The combined length of the line needs to be 93 inches.
I don't foresee any lacking of bass with two of them.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22 - 03/25/17 at 22:06:23

Well, I "finished" my subs last weekend. Sorry that I took so long reporting back, I had a bad cold and some kind of heart thingy that required a bit of hospital time this week.
Anyway, I decided to go the whole on "Hillbilly" method on these subs.
All that it took was 4 ea. 12" store brand Sono tubes, a roll of red duct tape, some zip ties, 2 ea. Goldwood 12" woofers, and 2 ea. Dayton 100 watt sub amps.
All I did then was cut a 45 degree angle a couple of feet in on what would be the bottom tube, rotate it 180 degrees to get my 90 and start taping them back together. Simple, effective, cheap, and ugly. But so what, it is for my garage.
So far, with very limited listening time, I am very happy with what I have wrought. Some time needs to be spent working with stuffing it.
The whole garage stereo pulled 104 DB with the door closed, it should make the neighbors real happy.
By the way, if you have chest pain that knocks you down a couple times a day for 3 weeks, the Doctors get real mad at you for not coming to see them sooner!
Photos:

I'm real proud of this one

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/26/17 at 01:20:48

Donnie,
Those remind me of something I once saw in a Cheech and Chong movie I do believe.   Tongue

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 03/26/17 at 01:48:12

Well Core, you have just named my subs.  They will now be forever known as the Cheech & Chong memorial quarter wave subs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print