Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/17/17 at 11:48:49 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Palomino Audio Project (Read 43738 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is the
strongest form of
magic"

Re: Palomino Audio Project
Reply #300 - 11/23/17 at 06:35:59

Be sure to post the "Image Link" that ends with the file extension, i.e. ".jpg" or ".png" depending on the type of image.  

The "Direct Link" you selected, the one without the file extension, will not work in this forum.  I did the same thing you did initially and had to do a little trial and error before figuring it out.  You are almost there!

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 11/23/17 at 06:41:04

I tried to engage in this thread, but all the pics from last year are gone.

'course, I was gone last year, too.

WWW DirtDawg DirtDawg NO! NO!   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #302 - 11/26/17 at 23:13:58

Right click the image, and copy image address

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #303 - 11/26/17 at 23:18:54

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #304 - 12/07/17 at 18:37:55

Thanks Raven,

I don't know if those charts are good or bad, but the low frequency has certainly smoothed out since the last time I measured.  Same for the high frequency so I'll try to post that as well.

Maybe there is something to this room treatment thing Wink

I do know that the room/system sounds it's best yet.

Just as I got a nice lift in the highs from the AMTs (on sale now BTW), I am now experimenting with filling in below 50hz with a sub.  I have never been able to integrate a sub well in the past, but that was when I was trying to cover more ground.  The Augies do the heavy lifting now, so just like the highs I am only using the sub to sweeten the lows.  It is showing some promise.

I'm using a Dayton Audio Reference series 15" driver.  Nice tight sound to it.  No blob or boom here at all.  Around $175 which doesn't break the bank.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 2, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Chord QuteHD with LPSU, DIY Belden ICs, Torii MKIII, SE34I.32, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, Vintage Western Electric 16g Speaker wires, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #305 - 12/08/17 at 22:28:34

Nice to see you back on the forums.  ;)

We still on for this Sunday?

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #306 - 12/09/17 at 16:56:08

the link to imgur worked for me... perfectly.  Browser and/or browser settings likely the culprit. this forum and Chrome are flaky for me - but IE seems to work flawlessly most of the time.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #307 - 12/12/17 at 14:30:59

I built a solid box for my sub experiment this last weekend.  3/4" MDF 19.25X19.25X20.  Well braced, double front baffle.  Weighs a ton.

But I must say I am happy with the result.  The Augies are a fantastic driver, but they fall off under 50hz.  This sub definitely fills in and makes certain music more enjoyable.  I was surprised that it lends definition to the bass in a lot of songs.  But you can feel it on those with the low low bass.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well it integrates.  I have the crossover set for about 45hz and it really blends.  Raven gave it a listen and felt is was just a bit off and that I should experiment with the position a little to get it the last 10% or so.  I literally put it where I had room so I haven't played with it yet.

They recommend 1000 watts to drive the 15" driver but I am more than adequate with a Dayton Audio 250.  I'll experiment with more powerful amps, but so far so good.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 2, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Chord QuteHD with LPSU, DIY Belden ICs, Torii MKIII, SE34I.32, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, Vintage Western Electric 16g Speaker wires, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 12/12/17 at 14:54:55

As you can tell, the Palomino Audio Project has completely jumped the shark.  I am quad-amping now.  

The heart and soul is my black top Rachael but I am using bridged twin Crown XLS1000s for the right and left Augies and the plate amp for the sub.

I think the next turn will be to look for a new mid range driver.  Using the Tang Band now solely as a mid range driver probably isn't the right way to go and as Raven pointed out in the last mini CDApS, there is an edge to some vocals.  Randy's whizzerless Betsy is a possibility, but it doesn't quite fit in the third iteration of the PAP baffles and I hate to toss them.

If anyone has an idea on a good 8" efficient mid range driver that I could cross at about 12K, I am all ears...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #309 - 12/12/17 at 19:43:43

P.S. Eric was right again.   Wink

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #310 - 12/12/17 at 19:55:21

I tend to think we came to the same conclusion independently here Cheesy

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #311 - 12/13/17 at 23:59:13

Here is the 8" driver for you.
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-8fr-8-full-range-8-speaker-pioneer-type-b20fu2...

These things are stupid good for $12.
My latest build is a transmission line using 2 of these in each box. I'm having a hard time putting my OB's back in. It is kind of silly fun.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #312 - 12/14/17 at 05:19:19

For that price, you could make a crazy line array for under $300

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print