Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/24/17 at 13:16:19 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The ZBIT makes many DAC's sound twice as good! (Read 11961 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: The ZBIT makes many DAC's sound twice as good!
Reply #50 - 08/18/17 at 15:44:54

A week ago I received a pair of VooDoo Cable Evolution XLR interconnects to use with my ZBIT (purchased from bottlehead/Randy, he has one pair left to sell). I was happy with the 2' Take Five Audio cables I bought purposefully instead of VooDoo Cable XLRs for the ZBIT. . . I didn't want to pay the VooDoo Cable new price and the Take Five are very similar in construction and materials and are also cryo'd. But I thought that the 2' length would be fine and it isn't, I just needed another foot to place the ZBIT where it works best, so I went for the Evolutions, knowing that Randy is fantastic to deal with.

Well these Evolution from VooDoo Cable are just better than the Take Five in a few important ways: they are a bit more refined and a bit more neutral in tonal balance. They bring out tiny details in spatial and rhythmic ways and draw me into the music. With the Take Five Audio cables I felt that the ZBIT and the CSP2+ were both equally great ways to get sound from the DSD DAC to the Torii, but with the Evolution cables the ZBIT method is just a bit superior. I'm so hoping that the ZBIT and the ZROCK2 will work well together as this should give me the best, adjustable, sound.

The ZBIT just is such a transformative device in my system. This elegant little brainchild of Steve's keeps impressing me, and it will respond to cabling and placement and keep dishing out wonderful sound.

I'm so impressed with the Evolutions that when a friend repaid me a loan I made him seven years ago (! ! !) I invested in a pair of VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Amati XLR cables that the Cable Company showed as a special (probably demo) pair from VooDoo Cable at a price that was the best I've seen. . . . I hope those are actually at VooDoo to ship (the Cable Company wasn't yet sure) and I know (as I have Stradivarius interconnect cables everywhere else in my system) that these will be EVEN BETTER.

« Last Edit: 08/18/17 at 15:46:16 by Lon »  

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #51 - 08/20/17 at 15:09:16

I ordered another ZBIT. I needed to have a second set of stereo outputs added to my ZBIT . . .and a) I couldn't bear to think of a few weeks or more without it and b) I have another excellent set of XLR cables and a great source with a balanced output upstairs in that little system. . . so I decided to order another ZBIT to use with that system.  I know from experience that the ZBIT driving the modded C amp is an excellent sound. . . and with both balanced and unbalanced outputs on that source I can also drive the Taboo Mk III there for headphones.

I'm a Decware addict!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,ZTPRE,Torii MkIII,ZBIT,Taboo MkIV;PS Audio:DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade:Dbl Helix+,V2+V3;CambridgeAudio CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt,all Groovetracer upgrades,Exact2;VooDoo Cremona +Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner,Oppo PM-1,Audeze LCD-2
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

"Music is what
feelings sound
like" -Georgia
Cates

Reply #52 - 08/20/17 at 17:20:59

Haha!  Aren't we all Lon.  Not a bad "substance" to be addicted to, though.  Doesn't require any dark alleys or shady acquaintances.

I suspect my ZBIT will ship this week.  Been in testing/QC for awhile.  Can wait to get it attached to my DirectStream w/ Huron.  Although, this DAC attached to my Torii MKIV and Omega SAHO's has a noticeable increase in weight and drive.  Could be a product of system synergy and/or break in time.  Ive got quite a few hours in on it.  Whatever the reason, it is sounding really good just out of the RCAs.  I can't imagine how awesome it will sound with the ZBIT in place!

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Torii//ZDSD//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Rachael//Super Zen Triode//Taboo MK III//Muse Phono Stage//Zen Head//SonoruS R2R w/ tube playback amp//OPPO BDP-205//Omega SAHOs//Monoliths//Ultrasone Signature Pros//UM Miracle CIEM
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 08/20/17 at 17:26:54

I added the ZBIT during the Torreys OS days and did the Huron update with the ZBIT but. . . well I love the DirectStream either with the ZBIT via the XLR or the CSP2+ via the RCA, may prefer the ZBIT by a hair for a certain refinement it maintains. You're going to be happy!

I actually really like the DirectStream straight from the RCAs into my Torii MK III a LOT. I just needed a bit more gain for one input (DVR in "Normal" not "Narrow" mode) as it wasn't quite loud enough for my wife--she likes her TV loud! That is what started me on the ZBIT trail and I'm glad I did, plenty of gain now and though I guess there is more body and heft it's not heavily painted and all subtleties remain.

Glad yours is shipping soon! I know you'll share your impressions Jeff!

« Last Edit: 08/20/17 at 18:34:10 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print