Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/25/17 at 03:07:39 

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder (Read 20819 times)
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder
Reply #240 - 08/16/16 at 18:28:12

Order status for my ZDSD is "On the Bench", should have it soon  8-)

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #241 - 09/11/16 at 13:39:36

Just received my ZDSD.  About 5 hours with it playing red book CD.  

To put my comments into some context, a little about my background in this hobby.  Over 40 years ago it started when I heard and more importantly experienced what a Linn LP-12, Audio Research, and Magnepan Tympani system could do... convey the emotion that the musicians were putting into the music.

Over the years I have heard systems that I could not afford, not just in passing or at shows, $24,000.00 DACS, $60,000.00 speakers and so on.  I've also owned good systems that I could afford.  

Regardless of price, very few systems could produce the emotion in music.  The emotion that causes goose bumps or just causes one to become so involved that one starts to move rather emphatically in response to what one is hearing.  What I refer to as the "experience".

Well... the ZDSD produces the emotion in spades.  It does what very few systems that I have heard at any price were able to.  

Stone said that his hardware quests were over.  Quite a statement.  When it comes to a DAC, so are mine!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #242 - 09/11/16 at 13:57:48

Congrats! I am glad you are so happy with the ZDSD and so soon after plugging in! I have reached the end of my hardware search as well as far as DACs, with a different DAC, but we're on the same "enjoying the hell out of it" plateau!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,ZBIT,Taboo III;PS Audio DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade spkr cbl;CambridgeAud CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt, Groovetracer upgrades+Exact2;VooDoo Cbl:Stradivarius+Cremona,Iso-Pods; Mplshade:Samson v3;Oppo PM-1;Audeze LCD2
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #243 - 09/11/16 at 22:06:37

Thanks Lon.  Glad that you've been able to get to the same end result with your system.  To me it's not important how you got there, just that you did.

I was more than a little surprised as well that the ZDSD was able to achieve what it did in the short time that I've been listening to it.  It still has to burn in, still has a way to go and that is evident in certain areas.  But the fundamentals are so there... and I feel that it will only get better.  To what degree, I'll have to wait and see and comment down the road.

I been following your posts and the comments of others for some time.  I've also had many discussions with Steve D.  All input has been interesting and beneficial.

Recently I bought a CSP-3 from a member - Kevin B.  

It's been a great experience all round.

Cheers!  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #244 - 09/13/16 at 16:14:28

Glad to read JOMAN. The ZDSD will continue to season in. I added the Shunyata Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord. It takes the ZDSD to another level. You can try from thecableco.....on loan.
If this cable was BS....it would have been returned to Joe.....my guy at the cable co....ASAP.
https://www.thecableco.com/Product/Ztron-Alpha-Digital-AC
Click into what you will actually pay...... . But, do have in on loan first with no obligation.

I read this review on AudioShark after I bought it. I included for 2nd opinion purposes.
http://www.audioshark.org/shunyata-research-78/review-shunyata-zytron-alpha-digi...

Exactly well put too........I've been through the Audio Research's, Maggies and the like. I was an member of the Minnesota Audio Society for a few years.....which afforded me listening sessions AT Audio Research ....and many listening sessions at the Pavek Museum .....where we held our Audio meetings...with a lot of great gear brought in for each session.

............Decware wins.

Enjoy the emotion in the "Experience". ........that you so aptly expressed.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1472599363

So true. I've found my tone/timbre and in relationship to my treated room; that is right for ME.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tell+them+we+already+got+one&qpvt=tell+them....

"Tell them we've already got one!"

I've found my Holy Grail = Decware.

If the best of Audio Research Tubed or Ayre Acoustics Solid State we're better to ME....I would own them. But, I don't.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1471401401

New Decware Zen Amps - SE84UFO3 ~~ Pending
....you can never have enough Decware.....is my motto.

Listening Room

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryo Pair~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin)

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair  

« Last Edit: 09/13/16 at 16:31:05 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #245 - 09/14/16 at 04:26:45

Thanks for the tip Stone.  I'll look into the cable but may have to wait as I've stretched my budget for now.  You see, as part of our downsizing my wife felt that I should get headphones (Love that woman!).

So I got HD800's which meant I had to get a good headphone amp (actually it was the other way around, I was just looking for an opportunity).  About that time I came across a CSP3 which was pretty much loaded.  It went back to Decware for warrantee transfer, one 4 pin xlr and dual stereo outputs.

This meant that I just had to have a suitable DAC, not that the Lavry DA11 was bad but under the circumstances I felt that a change was... umm... justified, and that of course meant a new ZDSD.

Boy was I right.  

So a couple of days ago I asked my wife's opinion on the set up.  Over the years she has been a very good... ah... critic, yes that's it, critic who's opinion I value.

As she was listening to the first song she went quiet (that's a first), and as it ended all she said was "this is the best you've had".  There you go, from an expert critic who's not to be challenged.  

In all seriousness, I do value her opinion and her comment was spontaneous.

Who said this hobby isn't fun.

Cheers

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #246 - 09/14/16 at 12:34:21

So good to read that you have these great Decware products bringing you joy AND your wife's approval! Congrats and keep on enjoying and keeping us posted!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,ZBIT,Taboo III;PS Audio DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade spkr cbl;CambridgeAud CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt, Groovetracer upgrades+Exact2;VooDoo Cbl:Stradivarius+Cremona,Iso-Pods; Mplshade:Samson v3;Oppo PM-1;Audeze LCD2
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #247 - 09/14/16 at 15:16:25

Yes. I know about down sizing. I sold 9k of sitting around Audio Gear.....just last year. I sold my CSP3 (I used just about every day for 27 months with my Zen Mystery Amp)......back in July this year and some Rectifier tubes.

I have settled into my upstairs Listening Room Rig and downstairs HT Rig. The ZMA has so seasoned in......I can no longer use a Preamp with it. I sold an ARC Pre as well........not needed. The ZMA solo now, with my ZDSD........is near perfection.

I'm NOT ready for headphones. I did bring in a nice pair from Sweetwater and it was very good out of the CSP3. I will buy another CSP3, if I ever get into the Headphone scene.

Right now though, I enjoy my music out loud at 74db to 88db SPL every day. .....and of course the occasional 90db a little +SPL ....cause' the ZMA can go there.

Enjoy.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #248 - 12/09/16 at 01:31:36

It's been about a month since I got my ZDSD and posted my initial comments, which for me, were unusually positive.  One of the reasons I bought the ZDSD was Steves claim that at "-20bBFS it rivals analogue tape" and that it will "sway even the analogue freaks among us".  Being just that I took it as a bit of challenge.

Now a month later... As the ZDSD has been burning in I started adjusting the output levels on it and my CSP3.  The ZDSD is now set at -18dBFS, and I gladly acknowledge that Steve is definitely correct in the comments he made.

Now, I'm sure that you are aware that I don't have a mastering tape, so why do I feel that I can concur?  When digital started I had a fully loaded LP12 and compared my first CD Player to it.  The first CDPlayer went on a journey within 10 minutes (the household exec. said something about me being psychotic at the moment).

In time the exec. suggested that I should decide between digital and my LP12, (something about helping with my psychosis)  After selling it, for a long time I would silently let out a sigh as I was listening to digital, even when it got to be more than tolerable.  In fact for a time I didn't listen to music.

I'm now enjoying music almost every day and I just realized that in the last month I did not think about the LP12 and I did not sigh, not once.  I also have Steves Demo that he supplied with the ZDSD. Those are the reasons that I concur with the statements Steve made.

Cheers

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #249 - 12/13/16 at 15:54:25

JOMAN, very well put and I still have a Turntable downstairs to compare too; not the best but, very good.

I use -20 and -18. Plus, remember a significant part of the mod to this player is......Steve's output transformer's that are wonderful and ANALOG.

The ZDSD kicked to the curb:  Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

I owned or had in all of the above units. I don't own any of them.....because the ZDSD is that good.

PS~ a significant upgrade/further for the ZDSD, is a Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord. I try and buy from the cableco, with a 11.5% discount.

The cableco., is how I was able to get a new pair/demo of Kimber Select KS6063 at 65% off. ....whole other level of getting out of the way of the music...when the gear upstream can deliver as Decware can..... .

However, once again, the Shunyata cord mentioned is transformative and you can try with no obligation on loan. Ask if they are sending a well seasoned auditioned one....as they should (if you decide to do so).

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

« Last Edit: 12/13/16 at 16:56:18 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #250 - 12/13/16 at 16:56:34

2nd PS ~ Yes. The demo Steve sent in the 20th Anniversary case for SD Cards....very nice demo (DSD)/to say the least, right? Had me go get a card and make a few of my own (DSD). I just see this as an added fun bonus. The true litmus for me was....impress me with 85% of my well to very well recorded redbook collection? The ZDSD/16/192kHz/Steve's output transformer's ~ DID.

....the other 15% of my collection...nothing can help the compression....and crapping recording of it (mostly mid to late 80's/and some early 90's....we are all to aware of-was garbage remastered or recorded).

IN A PERFECT WORLD, Prof Johnson would have recorded all of Redbook for me and you (starting in 1982/83)!
http://www.referencerecordings.com/about.asp

When I play my Prof J. CD recordings....the dynamic range, damn near makes me cry..... . Tone/Timbre...... .

« Last Edit: 12/13/16 at 17:22:13 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
JOMAN

Reply #251 - 12/17/16 at 19:14:52

Thanks for the Reference Recordings link Stone, and I've noted the Alpha Digital Power Cord.

Right now I'm trying to put together a strategy for the next series of acquisitions.  A Decware Amp will likely be the next purchase and sooner than what I thought.

Certainly agree on your comments about the Demo that Steve supplies but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the change that the ZDSD has made with "well recorded Red Book CD's".   I listen and afterwards I silently say "nah, this can't be"!

An example would be the Hi-Fi A LA ESPANOLA POPOVERS - Frederick Fennel Eastman-Rochester Pops. Cut 3, Malaguena, it's an interplay of tempo and drama.  But I never had the adrenaline rush until I heard it through the ZDSD on a Red Book CD???  Nah can't be.

Every time I listen I'm reminded of the first time I took a ride on an extremely high rollercoaster.  Same adrenaline rush, on Red Book CD????  Who's gonna believe this? thats quickly followed by... Who cares anyway.

I'm now going to start recording on the ZDSD, probably using CF cards.  Hammy fingers and SD cards - not a good fit.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #252 - 12/19/16 at 16:06:53

Yes, plan to get a Decware Amp....you won't regret it.

I know, right? I don't own some crazy expensive front end, when Steve's output transformer MOD....he did...and created the ZDSD....I do not long for any other Redbook front end!  

Enjoy and make some more DSD on the Cards too.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged