Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/18/18 at 23:10:05 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 81112 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #500 - 09/22/18 at 16:54:44

Stone, that is correct  regarding running the 7581A’s at 70%, which puts the bias at 63/64mA.  However, pushing them a tad bit more and running them at 75% max, put them at the 68mA mark which I think is fine.  In theory it may have a slight impact on overall tube life, but not sure a 5% change will amount to a significant overall lifespan difference.  Personally, I wouldn’t be afraid to push them up to 75% on something that is fairly replaceable and reasonably priced.  A rare and expensive NOS set?  Probably not.  

Stone, have you pushed your set up to the 64+ range yet?  

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//DM946//Oppo UDP-205
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #501 - 09/22/18 at 17:04:24

Nice/J of A, thanks for the clarification on this.

No, I have not put up to 64 to 68 yet. I will though....and post.

42 to 60 only so far....and absolutely love these 7581A's.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #502 - 09/22/18 at 18:07:02

Quote:
As you stated, one of the big changes, at least for me was the increase in audible detail.  The information was always there but the lowering of the noise floor and increase in the amps response with the faster caps is bringing those micro-details to the forefront where you can hear them.

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I am definitely hearing more detail -- song lyrics that I've heard right after 40 years!  I hesitated to mention this because it's becoming cliche for me with every upgrade.  I don't know what the limit is.  Maybe a truly live sounding performance?  That would take a different listening environment for me.  I have a grand piano in the same room and there has never been an "Is it live or is it Memorex?" moment for me between the two.

The bass is bigger and I've dialed back my ZR2 slightly.  I still like the ZR2 in the chain though.

Despite all of the enthusiastic talk of the Anniversary amps, the stock are still so good that the modifications haven't hit me in the face, so to speak.  Still, I'd never consider going back.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #503 - 09/23/18 at 18:29:24

Interesting...with my Ediswans's, I enjoy the 7581A's at 46 to 50 mA. I put my NOS Mullard's in this morning and after an 1.5 hour warm up....absolutely love the A's at 60 to 64mA. The bias window of the A's is quite nice.

Arch, good news on your 25th enhancements. My idea to get a JR 25th might leave me short. I'm going to pine further about doing my ZMA.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #504 - 09/23/18 at 19:24:29

Nice Stone!  The beautiful thing about this hobby...  endless opportunities to pull the levers and turn the knobs to get things just right for our listening pleasure.  

Glad to hear of this new discovery with you other tubes and higher bias setting.

ZMA//Zen Ultra//Rachel//Super Zen//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Muse Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//Zen Head//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Omega SAHOs//DM946//Oppo UDP-205
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #505 - 09/23/18 at 19:45:21

Stone, I think your master plan should be to buy a 2nd ZMA with the mods, see how you like it and if you do, modify your current ZMA and run the two as mono-blocks!   Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #506 - 09/24/18 at 11:23:12

No doubt J of A! Fun.

Arch, .....yeah, I wish I could do that!  :)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #507 - 09/26/18 at 14:57:38

Norm: you're 3 weeks in at Decware for your ZMA 25th'd. Hope to get your initial impressions. Here's hoping you get it back before the Fest and not after.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #508 - 09/26/18 at 17:17:31

Steve started it last week and they said they would ship this week. Looking forward to it!

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Oppo 103D for video
Marantz AV8802a Pre
ZTPre & ZMA for Stereo
Rotel RMB-1585 amp
Focal Electra 1038Be speakers (93 db)
2Hsu Research ULS-15 M
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #509 - 09/27/18 at 13:04:34

Nice. Knowing you sent yours on 9/6 and DeVon mentioned they shut down the week of the Fest (I spoke with her about sending mine in and decided to wait), and as busy as they are, very nice, Steve can get done and on the road to you this week.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #510 - 09/29/18 at 18:09:39

I don't know if this is related to the modifications but I am getting a "bloom" in volume and density when I push the volume to the point of getting the metters jumping 4 to 8mA.  If this isn't just imagination, could it be related to the ZMA going from Class A to Class A/B at that point?  I have yet to push things into distortion.  I'm not even sure where that point is -- way beyond the start of meter movement.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #511 - 10/10/18 at 22:45:41

BTW, I have ordered a quad of TungSol 7581a tubes for my ZMA.  I tried to place an order with Ron Sheldon @ Cryoset, but the website indicated that he is very ill and not filling orders at this time.  I wish Ron a speedy recovery, as he has been one of my main sources of tubes over the years.  

I should have the quad this weekend.  I'll report back on my listening impressions after I get 100 hours or so on the set.

HK

Lonely Raven Windows PC (or) TEAC PD-600H>TWL USB/coax cables>ZDAC2 (or) Nottingham Interspace TT w/ heavy platter + Dynavector 20X2LO + P75 MKII phono pre>iFi micro iTube>CSP3-25 preamp>Zen Mystery amp>Omega SAHO XRS speakers> ZenWave Audio IC's & PC's.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #512 - Today at 21:47:17

Yes, wishing Ron a speedy recovery. HK, hope you enjoy the 7581A's. I have
been very pleased with them.

Norm, how is your ZMA enhanced 25th going? Plus, want to read about your impressions of the JJ 7027A's you received. No hurry, knowing you only received your ZMA back, a week or 10 days ago.

I ordered a ZBIT (dual attenuation)...just hit the build sheet! When it's out for delivery many rotations of the earth from now....I will Lending Library my XLR choices:

https://www.thecableco.com/ks-1130.html
https://www.thecableco.com/stradivarius-amati-edition-interconnect-5421.html
https://www.thecableco.com/cables/interconnects/ks-1136-interconnect-pair.html

What makes Silver so successful for me (I'm a detail hound/micro feeding the macro).....is that it feeds Ray Kimber's genius of topology and alchemy of my KS6063 copper (solid core and stranded/double core's) Speaker Cables.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged