Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/24/18 at 07:29:42 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 152114 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #550 - Yesterday at 02:16:30

I've been rereading what Steve wrote in this thread about the big Nichicon caps that he used in the mods.  He mentions that they are 4700uF 450 VDC 85 C caps.  What he used in mine though are 3300 uF 500 VDC 85 C caps.  I have no idea what difference the smaller cap makes.  I don't see where Steve said anything about downsizing in this thread.  I can't read the part number of my caps so I am sort of guessing here.  The caps he used are still more than 50% more capacity than my Red Malory's (2000 uF).

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #551 - Today at 01:55:05

Yes I have been evaluating several caps in the NX range and found 4700uf is larger than I wanted to go.  I have found the range so far between 3300 to 3900 uf to be more desirable. So the cap values I will be using for the mod will be anything in this window.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #552 - Today at 02:08:06

After reading about the caps that blew up the ZMA, I don't mind having a smaller bomb on the shelf.   Grin

IP Logged
bandrade
Verified Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #553 - Today at 04:09:02

Experience exchange from a guy (me) that has installed the 4700 uF caps. I agree with Steve that 3300 to 3900 uF is the optimum value for those caps to keep things nice and simple (KISS principle) while improving matters. As mentioned I have installed 4700 uF Mundorf Mlytic's in my ZMA along with a whole bunch of bypass caps and as a result had to install 330K ohm bleeder resistors to compensate for the extra stored energy which needs to be dissipated when the amp is powered off. Without these bleeder resistors the mA meters bounce wildly on powering the ZMA off. When the power is turned off the OA3 conduction oscillates as the stored voltage (in the large caps) is dropping and so current drawn increases to compensate. For me the lower ESR and lower drawdown in voltage (therefore less supply power ripple) while the ZMA is operating and the resultant upgrade in sound and background provided by this make and size of caps is worth not following the KISS principle in this case. As a manufacturer Steve is prudent to provide a margin of safety not to drive his equipment to the higher limit as there is a possibility that components may fail within the lifetime warranty. I am willing to take this chance for performances sake.
Comments about the caps blowing up: If the caps installed are of the right voltage the caps should not blow up. I believe Steve when he mentioned about the cap that blew up in his workshop was one rated lower. I found this experience feedback from Steve very helpful and so am making doubly sure that the caps I install have a voltage that is high enough. There are amps and power conditioners with 20 times or more than the capacity in the ZMA in the Farad range let alone micro-Farads that we are talking about. I just bought a iFi Pro iDSD DAC that has 6.8 Farad !!! capacitors.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print