Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/14 at 12:38:40

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Dac recommendations (Read 453 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Tube Dac recommendations
07/25/14 at 22:56:59

Quote:
Hi Steve,

I am building a digital system (already have vinyl) and would like your recommendation on a tube/dac.  

With regards to a tube dac, I'm not sure what to recommend. The dac world is in a head spin with changes right now.

I can comment on a few things that might be helpful. First, the difference between a DAC costing hundreds vs, thousands is usually the packaging, power supply and analog output stage. The dac chips are the same in both. That said, the two things that make a 10,000.00 Dac sound better than a 1,000.00 Dac are the power supply and the amount of effort put into the analog output stage.

So if you buy a decent sounding solid state dac without a tube stage that has a good following, the odds are it has a suitably good power supply designed to drive the chipset and op amps that make up the output stage... otherwise it wouldn't sound good, or image well.

Getting a tube stage in a dac often comes down to a single tube to keep costs down and if you're trying to keep costs down, the power supply is also going to be extremely practical.

We have great luck pairing a good quality solid state dac without a tube stage to our CSP3 preamp, which becomes a cost no object tube output stage for the DAC. When you find a dac with a tube output stage that features a power supply 500% larger than necessary, vacuum tube rectification, and an SRPP low impedance output stage with world class headphone output, you'll be in the 5 digit price window. Instead, get a 1000.00 dac with a good following and the CSP3 and achieve similar or superior results.

Steve

http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html

WWW   IP Logged
patshrews
Verified Member

Re: Tube Dac recommendations
Reply #1 - 07/27/14 at 21:54:17

Hello,

FWIW, after searching for several months, I settled on the Schiit Gungnir. It's made in USA and sold direct, and falls right in with Steve's recommendation of price and engineering at 750 (or 850 with USB).
It comes with a money back trial guaranty. I have been very pleased with it for my Tori Mk IV.
Cheers!

Torii Mk. IV
Schiit Gungnir
Zu Omen Bookshelfs
with HO drivers
  IP Logged
Guy13
Verified Member

Audio should be
simple !

Reply #2 - 08/07/14 at 04:38:49

Hi all.
Anyone out there have experience with a Schiit Bifrost.
I wonder if spending 400 USD on a outboard DAC will sound better than the inboard of my Rega Apollo ???

Guy 13

IP Logged
Guy13
Verified Member

Audio should be
simple !

Reply #3 - 08/22/14 at 04:24:41

Hi all.
Two weeks have pass by
and I still didn't get any answer to my question.
The Schiit Bifrost fall into my budget, it's small, it's made in USA
and has a good warranty.
The trial period is worth nothing for me on planet Vietnam.
I would like to have an answer or suggestions before the end of 2014, because by then, I might have the funds for that purchase.
Thanks.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/14 at 02:59:15

Hi Guy13, the FAQ section of this forum is not as popular as the General Discussion and Support forum.  I would head over there and post your question as I think there are a couple guys who are using it, but they may not make it over to the FAQ section too often.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print