Send Topic Print
Recommend to Me (Read 1179 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Recommend to Me
07/10/14 at 22:41:51

OK - here is what this thread is about. We've got a wide variety of musical taste in our group, and we have some guys with expansive collections and album knowledge. I've created this thread to help keep the What's Spinning thread for drifting too far off course. That's also a great thread for "discovering" new tunes.

So this thread is dedicated to asking someone to "recommend something to me".

For example -

Someone says, I like Portishead, are there any other bands out there that sound like that? I would probably respond with CallmeKat

Help each other out - if you're asking for something like something else, then provide a link to the song or album for those who maybe aren't familiar. Maybe hearing a You Tube clip will make someone think of a band they are familiar with that suits what you're looking for.

Feel free to use this thread to try and find tunes you might need help figuring out - for example, if you know the artist, but can't find the tune. Or which version of an album that's been pressed and mastered in many variants is the "best".

I figure between the What's Spinning thread and this Recommend to Me thread, we can help expand our horizons musically.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Recommend to Me
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 23:25:20

This idea sounds like Music Map.
http://www.music-map.com/
Try it out.  Type in a group and it will display groups that sound like them.  Don't know how up to date it is.  It did know both Portishead and CallmeKat but didn't think they were a close match to each other.

I have a suspicion its a great idea but the results may not be all that great.

Dan

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/10/14 at 23:41:57

If you like Portishead, also check out Blonde Redhead ~ 23.

« Last Edit: 07/10/14 at 23:42:15 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3 - 07/11/14 at 04:26:05

This is genius, thank you LR!

Looking at your guidelines made me think about Pink Floyd and which version of their albums sound the best to folks outside of maybe the original pressings....are there Hi-Res versions out yet that maybe I'm unaware of?

I have some PK on CD and it doesn't sound very dimensional and I'm SURE it can sound better than that! I'm forgetting which version of the CD's I have (not near my collection to check).....definitely not the latest ones that came out (2011 remasters). Been thinking of buying some of those from amazon and checking them out, but a positive recommendation would help encourage me for sure.

I WILL get the latest version of Division Bell Remastered from the original tapes that was JUST released....probably get it on vinyl Smiley

This could end up being my favorite thread on here depending on how folks contribute to it Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #4 - 07/12/14 at 08:47:10

This is one of my favorites .....

Rusalka by Dvorak

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuNqcKUxto&autoplay=1

I could set this on auto repeat the whole day....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 07/12/14 at 14:17:08

Quote:
If you like Portishead, also check out Blonde Redhead ~ 23.

Thank you for that. I grabbed the exact album your linked to and I'm listening to this now.

OK, here is what inspired the Recommend to Me thread, and what I'm hoping some of you can help me with. I love the female voice, and on my system, harmonies are truly amazing - so I've been gravitating to a lot of vocal harmonies lately. Could you recommend something to me like like this?

The Wailin' Jennys - Summertime?

http://youtu.be/ddDgLs6-3IY

I seriously get shivers every time I play this one! The rest of their stuff is OK, but they crush it on this one. I'm looking for more!

« Last Edit: 07/12/14 at 14:18:37 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 07/12/14 at 16:02:08

Eric,

You may find the audio quality challenging, though with the DS it may be more than tolerable. . . but check out the Boswell Sisters. They are the bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boswell_Sisters

http://theboswellsisters.com/

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 07/12/14 at 18:53:04

I know the Boswell Sisters well! They inspired the Andrews Sisters! I think I have Andrews in my library, but not Boswell. I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the reminder, Lon.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/14 at 22:46:37

Quote:
LR said,

The Wailin' Jennys - Summertime?

http://youtu.be/ddDgLs6-3IY

I seriously get shivers every time I play this one! The rest of their stuff is OK, but they crush it on this one. I'm looking for more!

The Wailin' Jennys are cool, also try the Secret Sisters, I love their song Tennessee Me:

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/12/14 at 22:48:36

Also check them out live ... yes that's T-Bone Burnette.

IP Logged
TubeNube
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/14 at 22:51:07

LR,

Great thread, thanks. If you like female vocals, check out China Forbes on Pink Martini's "Hey Eugene" disc. The first track, "Everywhere" is one of my reference tracks, but pretty much any song off that cd is amazing, and the recording is top notch. Quite a collection of instruments in the hands of some very capable musicians, and the title track is a hoot. Also, there is a small jazz/pop combo called Lake Street Drive. Check out their slowed-down, jazzy take on the old Jackson 5 tune, "I Want You Back". Great harmony, and great separation of instruments. That's one wide soundstage! I'd add links for you to check out, but my computer skills are...uh...insufficient.

Anyway, thanks again for this discussion.
Randy

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 07/13/14 at 15:17:31

Thanks for the recommendations guys, that's exactly what this thread is about!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 07/25/14 at 17:52:05

OK Decware Family - I'm needing some more recommendations - I don't have an example to post, but what I'm looking for is some nice acoustic guitar recordings. Redbook or High-Def, as long as it's recorded well.

I tend to like medieval lute tunes, classical guitar, to acoustic blues and modern folk.

I find the DirectStream has such a realistic instrument representation, and piano sound extremely *live*, I want to give acoustic guitars a chance to come alive in my room!  :)

Thanks in Advance for your suggestions!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 07/25/14 at 17:57:16

Try this one, fascinating.

Spinning Song: Duck Baker plays the music of Herbie Nichols

http://www.allmusic.com/album/spinning-song-duck-baker-plays-the-music-of-herbie...

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 07/25/14 at 18:24:47

And then this one, wow!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print