Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/16/14 at 12:37:57

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking about a project (Read 918 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Thinking about a project
Reply #15 - 07/22/14 at 22:47:28

They make noise! They also look like a mud fence.
I am calling them "Mud Ugly"

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 07/22/14 at 22:53:19

Wow, that sure came out huge!
Anyway they are sounding pretty good.
THey have huge bass! I feel sorry for the blood sucking neighbor!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 07/23/14 at 19:21:01

What bass driver did you use for that? Is it the 8" one that is used on the 945?

Between talking to Palomino and DeuceKazoo about their DIY builds, and seeing yours put together...I'm starting to get interested in building something like this myself. I have a cabinet design in my head, I'd just need to ask the expert what kind of airspace and port I'd need to make it sing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 07/23/14 at 21:26:13

Yep LR, The same drivers as the DM945's. A 8" silver flute and a Hi-Vi tweeter in them.
I had one of my CAD Monkey's draw them up in Creo for me. He just copied the DM'd dimensions. I took those and changed some stuff around for the sake of not really having any woodworking tools to speak of.
Instead of being  16" tall mine are 24". The wood was 24" so there were 8 less cuts to make. The port is 2.5" in diameter because that is the size of hole saw we had, it is 3" long because I stacked 3 4"x4" squares with the hole drilled in them up and glued them inside the box. Of course that is assuming that the plywood was .75 thick, I didn't measure it.
I moved the woofer up a few inches and the tweeter moved up the same amount. I wish I had moved them up a few more inches because they just "Look" too low now.
I started out making everything all nice and pretty until I ran a bead of silicone to seal up one side. Well, I made a grand mess out of it, so I just said "Hell with it" and started screwing stuff together without worrying about the looks. I am a excitable boy.
I burnt myself soldering stuff up, didn't measure twice and cut once and pissed my wife off, so it was a good project!
I'm getting ready to either steal some of the stupid pillows from the couch back in the spare room or go to Hobby Lobby to get some stuffing.
I am real happy with how these speakers sound, not as refined as my MG944's, but the have some slam to them! Hell they are just garage speakers.
I might, maybe, slather them in shellac just because I have a new can of it on the shelf.
I'm not going to put anyone out of business with my woodworking skills, but it kept me off of the street for a few days and put a smile on my face.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 07/24/14 at 05:05:31

I've actually bought Walmart $1.97 pillows and just gutted the stuffing out of them. It wound up being cheaper than going to a hobby store (not sure if that's still true).

Or in the case of my giant sub-woofer, I just stuffed whole pillows in. Many of them.  :)

Kinda gives you an idea of how big my subwoofer is. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 08/02/14 at 23:27:21

My brother and I just spent a little bit listening to my new homemade speakers vs my MG 944's.
We both decided that my homemade ones had more "slam" to them, a lot of exciting bass.
We also decided that the MG"s are undeniably better! quite a bet better at soundstaging, width and depth. They sound so much more refined .
I'm not unhappy, my garage speakers are fun to listen to and they perform much better than their cost would make you expect.
I'm saying that my garage speakers are more party speakers and my MG's are for my enjoyment.
It was a great project. The next one will be even better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print