Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/30/14 at 17:43:05

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting back to building diffusers (Read 274 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Getting back to building diffusers
06/04/14 at 16:02:35

I've started working on diffusers again. Since I need a CNC Router to make the jig I need for the Prime 31 QRD diffuser I've designed. I did a dumbed down design for this proof of concept. This is a Prime 11, 6" deep, with 2" wide wells. It's pretty much a 24" by 48" prime 11 diffuser.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Getting back to building diffusers
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 22:44:13

When I think about diffusers, it kind of blows my mind. This happens because of the variety of materials that could be used, and their arrangement. Of course, that makes me wonder what would be best and why. I get overwhelmed and switched another thought. Why don't I just buy magical cables, and all of my problems go away?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 06/06/14 at 15:21:30

I've been trying to find this video since it was released about a year ago. and just stumbled into it today.

It's a neat experiment that visually shows the harmonics, or modes that sound is creating on this plate. Now, if you take this, and imagine it in a cube, *that* is why we have sound absorbers and diffusers. Those nodes, or hot and dead spots are what mess with the frequency response at our listening position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yaqUI4b974

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 06/20/14 at 20:00:42

I got my jig made last weekend, but I've not had time to start cutting tops and bottoms for my fleet of diffusers. I hope to start that this weekend. I'm thinking some hardwood and plywood ones to start. Basically whatever materials I have on hand. Make a few prototypes, get into the swing of cutting. Next, I have to make an assembly jig. This will basically be a panel with wood or foam blocks set to the correct depth needed for each well. That way, I take all my parts, set them on the assembly jig, and simply start gluing it all together. If all goes well, (and I can afford it) think I could start making two of these a week.

The Jig for step one!  :)

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print