10/22/14 at 04:14:54

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Axpona 2014 (Read 3138 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Axpona 2014
Reply #30 - 05/01/14 at 19:29:49

I think there would be nobody sober after the first 15 minutes.

Maybe adjust it to be more like:

1. When you find a non-boomy room

2. Likeable guy running the room

3. Exact sweet spot seating - when you first walk into the room

3. A Paul McGowan siting

4. Exhibitor allowing you to use your thumb drive with your music

5. Tube amp under $10K

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #31 - 05/01/14 at 21:10:33

Blah, that's not controversial enough for me.  ::)

You could also add XLR cable under $550 to that list.

I got really damn tired of hearing "our entry level cable starts at $880", or "this cable is only $1679 for the half meter length"

I got a survey for Axpona today, I gave the location and layout decent marks. I honestly think I'll go again next year, for two days even, if it's at that same hotel.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 05/05/14 at 04:31:35

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram

Did you guys get a listen to Spatial Audio?

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/05/14 at 21:54:30

We did not.  Look promising though.  I built a pair of open baffle once and liked the way they sounded.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/05/14 at 22:01:39

@ Stone ... wow those look pretty cool.  Open baffle, very efficient and reasonably priced (even the Turbo upgraded version are something that a cheap guy like me could aspire to Grin).

Interesting that the same guy who sold and/or designed Emerald Physics Speakers built another pair for his new business Spatial and they do not require EQ'ing like the Emerald Physics do. Hmm, perhaps a better product all around?  

I did a couple of web searches and more than a few people/reporters notated that despite the horrible room acoustics the Spatials were a hit at and even one of the best at the Axpona show.  Considering their price of under $2K for the standard version and $2.5K for the Turbo version this is saying something.

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #35 - 05/05/14 at 22:45:10

just getting in on the thread.  yes, the martin logan guy was completely obnoxious and would not shut up.  he carried on a loud conversation with a guy on the other side of the room while he was demoing music instead  of simply walking over to talk to the guy.  
the best thing i came away with was seeing how some of the dealers set up the speakers to help deal with the room problems (in rooms that sounded good).  tried at home and solved a low frequency issue i was having with my err's.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/05/14 at 23:17:37

INteresting. What was it you did to solve the low frequency issue Tom?

« Last Edit: 05/05/14 at 23:17:58 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/06/14 at 00:39:50

My buddy and I did get to listen to the Spacial speakers.  For background, we spent <10 minutes in the room, mainly because nothing really stood out to us (good or bad).  When we took a break for the day to discuss rooms we would go back to on Sunday, this one didn't make the cut.  I do remember asking the gentleman about the bass response specs, particularly b/c there was a lack of bass being produced (they were quoted as going into the low 40's).  Also, I wasn't familiar with the class D amps driving the speakers.

Agree that the specs might warrant additional consideration for low powered amps, but would probably be best to bring into your own room for a demo (I suppose this applies to anything).

One thing is certain, they look pretty cool and would likely be welcomed by the significant other.  

« Last Edit: 05/06/14 at 00:42:15 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 05/06/14 at 00:51:56

"Interesting. What was it you did to solve the low frequency issue Tom?"

From the Err use nearfield:

"I went to the axpona show.  while i did not see any decware there, i did learn some interesting ideas for speaker setup in narrow rooms.  i had been disappointed with some bass bloatiness in my errs, an out of control sound.  many of the rooms there, some that sounded really good had the speakers right on the sidewalls and angled in to the listening seat at pretty extreme angles.  my room is 12.5 by 19, so i tried this.  really cleaned up the bass and the center image and depth did not deteriorate.  just a thought for others that may have those issues.  previously i had them about 1.5 feet from the walls."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/06/14 at 17:51:36

Thanks Lin.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #40 - 05/07/14 at 03:15:34

-->  http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram  <--

hmmmm.... looks like somebody is trying to invade Hawthorne Audio territory... which BTW, if anybody's interested in open baffles... I could not recommend Hawthorne Audio more highly.... superb product and superb people to deal with Diane and Darrel are..!!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print