10/25/14 at 17:11:22

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Axpona 2014 (Read 3185 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Axpona 2014
Reply #15 - 04/28/14 at 12:34:47

Great write up.  Sounds like you were able to spend more time there.

Sounds like we agree on the Zu's.  I was impressed.  I never realized how little physical depth there is the those speakers.  For drivers that large I expected them to be 20" deep or something.

I also have to agree with you on the soundstage depth.  Most speakers were only a few feet from the wall.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/28/14 at 21:07:58

Quote:
Dave1210 said,
I was very impressed by the Legacy Aeris speakers.  We stopped into the Legacy room for a quick listen late Saturday (they were playing the Whisper XD’s) and the sound was intriguing enough to stop back on Sunday.  Of the 3 Legacy speakers we heard (Focus SE, Whisper and Aeris) I definitely preferred the Aeris.  The Air Motion tweeters are awesome--incredible air and detail.  At first I thought they might get fatiguing, but they never did.  The speakers were open, fast and had great clarity.  Impressive.  I wish the less expensive (but still expensive) Focus SE speakers sounded as good as the Aeris, but they didn’t.

Wow, the specs make them look very tube friendly.  Looks like some serious engineering went into that crossover design as well (although I could care less for the Blue LED to illuminate it) ~ they must be pretty proud of it to want to light it up in that fashion Grin

« Last Edit: 04/28/14 at 21:08:34 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/28/14 at 22:25:32

Legacy Aeris
Sensitivity: (Room, dB@ 2.83V/1m) 95.4 dB

4 ohms = 2 watts;  +3 dB
in room with 2 speakers:  + 1.5 - 3 dB

@90 dB 1w/1m ?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/28/14 at 22:37:45

Well then maybe not when the math is done Grin

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/28/14 at 23:37:17

A still have a few more things to share about Axpona, and will share in blocks:

I really enjoyed the Sony room.  They had their top of the line speakers in the room ($30K) and they were being driven by Rogue Audio monoblocks ($15K).  This system had very good depth (one of the few).  The speakers were pulled out from the back wall a little bit, but I don’t remember seeing any room treatments, so overall very impressive for the conditions.  The sound was detailed, airy, musical and smooth (they played a few non-audiophile tracks and it was very listenable). Sony has apparently stepped it up quite a bit.  It’s too bad these speakers are so expensive.  They really did sound excellent.  

I don’t know if this is a stretch or not, but I think there are similarities between the Aerial Acoustic 7T’s ($10K) and the Sony SS AR-1’s ($30K).  It would be interesting to A/B these speakers.  The Sony’s may go lower, but that certainly wouldn’t be worth an additional $20K.  I could be way off on my hypothesis because the 7T’s weren’t at the show and it has been a while since I have heard them, but I am putting it out there.

One other thing to note about the Sony room was they were using their new HAP Z1 ES HI Res music player ($2K) as the source.  I couldn’t say for sure that it sounded good, but they seemed comfortable using it as a source for their flagship speakers.  Oddly enough, the DSD Remastering Engine sounds quite similar to what PS Audio is using in the Direct Stream.  See below:

DSD Remastering Engine

This ideal D/A conversion system combines a high-performance DSP and FPGA (field programmable gate array) to convert all signals to 128 FS DSD signals. It was designed based on know-how garnered from Sony’s direct 8-times oversampling and Extended SBM (Super Bit Mapping) technology for professional recorders.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #20 - 04/28/14 at 23:43:16

Yes, the Sony does upconvert to DSD128, but I don't think it really messes with the timing/jitter like the DirectStream. It also has some shortocomings as to how  you can connect and server your music to it. If it had as many options as my Oppo, but better interface/software than the Oppo - I'd be switching. As it is, I find that unit too limiting.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/28/14 at 23:59:22

@ LR,

Yep. I agree ... you have to load your music on it before it wil play it back.  A big downside IMO as I have an NAS that I stream from and prefer to use JRiver to catalog and playback my music as my interface.  Perhaps they will release a straight DAC version in the future.  

I guess it would be OK "if" I didn't already own a PC/NAS combo in my 2 channel system "and" I didn't plan on getting such a combo in the future.  But after owning a PC in my 2 channel stereo and home theater playback chain I would never go without one again as I like surfing and listening to my music at the same time.  And the NAS forget about it ... I can access music from anywhere in my home that has a PC, Xbox, Tablet or Smart Phone and each bedroom has at least a PC and JRiver software.  So it's an all around great feature that I wouldn't want to give up.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/29/14 at 00:08:23

Thanks for the additional perspective on the Sony device guys.  I really didn't know that much about it.

And the NAS forget about it ... I can access music from anywhere in my home that has a PC, Xbox, Tablet or Smart Phone and each bedroom has at least a PC and JRiver software.  So it's an all around great feature that I wouldn't want to give up.

This does sound extremely appealing.  I have recently been looking into the NAS approach myself.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/29/14 at 00:55:35

I think you would like it quite a bit Dave once it's setup.  I think music from a PC and good DAC can rival rival most CD players that I've heard ~ not to mention the convenience factor once you get your music stored.

Although my good gear is in my living room, there are times that I'm in my bedroom (late at night, especially) and want to listen to something and I just open JRiver from my bedroom PC and my whole digital music and movie catalog is there for me (another thing about an NAS besting just a music server is that it can stream hi-res movies from it as well so we can watch movies, iisten to music, browse photos, etc. in any room).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/29/14 at 14:22:09

Here is some of the music I Shazamed at Axpona.  It's a mixed bag but some of the cuts I like a lot and will look for the CD.  Two I like a lot are Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and These Bones.  These bones is an excellent soundstage/imaging track.

« Last Edit: 04/29/14 at 14:23:21 by Palomino »  

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 04/29/14 at 15:01:41

Thanks for that list, Pal. I've already grabbed a couple of those albums from my regular "CD Shop", I need to grab some more when I get back home tonight. I have a couple friends over to hear how the ZMA sounds now that I've got...I don't know, 400 hours on it or something.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/29/14 at 21:33:48

Quote:
Palomino said,
also like the Volti horns, but again, way out of my price range.

What did they pair with the Volti?  Usually its Border Patrol stuff which seems pretty nice.  I saw a couple of videos from some shows in 2013 with Volti, Border Patrol and Snake River which even sounded pretty good through my computer speakers, so I'm thinking it was pretty cool in person. Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/29/14 at 21:49:13

I actually don't recall.  I think they were monoblocks.  It definitely was not what they had them paired with last year.  Sorry

Correction:  I just found this on AC:  The Voltis were powered by a Peachtree Audio integrated and had a Yamaha CD players as its source.  That was good sound.

Correction of my correction.  Found this also on AC:  Voltis were powered by a Peachtree integrated used only as a preamp into Quicksilver EL34 mono amps.

« Last Edit: 04/29/14 at 21:54:14 by Palomino »  

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/01/14 at 14:07:17

Quote:
I wanted to like the JansZen's more than I did.  We went back to the room on Sunday just to double check.  They were impressive on some recordings, but on others not so much.  Dare I say that they were a little too detailed and hot?  I want the clarity, but I also need to be able to listen to non-audiophile music on my system without cringing.  I was surprised how well the drivers integrated (electrostat + dynamic), and they can put out an impressive amount of tightly controlled bass.  I think I came to the conclusion that it would be difficult for me to live with that system long term.  Maybe with different amplification it would be more tolerable.

I was at the show and I believe I know exactly what the issue was.  David likes his tweeter bias control cranked fully up.  This is why they sound thin.  I have mine dialed WAY back and I still get great high frequency clarity.  Dialing the tweeter bias down also swings frequency balance more to the bass, which I can't get enough of.  The bass is great on these speakers if you don't drown them with too much HF.  The ESL panels also become more alive in the midrange if not overpowered by HF.  I use that tweeter control with a lot of moderation.  Between that (variable) control and a 3-position bass toggle you can really control the frequency balance to your liking.

David was using a Van Alstein hybrid amp for the first time which was an improvement but he is married to digital only for the shows and seems to love those clear high notes.  I was in a hurry and with a friend so we didn't stay long to hear the music selections.  I said hi to David quickly and sat down only briefly.  He was passing one of the ESL panels around the room, which was good to see.

I liked the new stand mount speakers (which have the same controls on the back) but they were on too tall stands.  They should have been a good foot lower.  Both my friend (also a Decware customer) and I were in agreement on that point.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 05/01/14 at 17:52:04

Yeah, the sound on those speakers sounded like all the treble was being grated  through a screen door - really dry and thin. The bookshelf speakers sounded much better comparatively.

Also, I came up with this great Axpona drinking game - I was making up the rules as we walked the floors.

#1 drink anytime you see a toupee

#2 drink anytime you see someone of color (at first it was *all* old white guys - of which I guess I'm close to fitting into that catagory)

#3 drink anytime you see a youngish hipster with manly facial hair and a tube/vinyl/vintage Tee

#4 take two drinks of said hipster brought his hot, much younger girlfriend.

« Last Edit: 05/01/14 at 17:52:38 by Lonely Raven »  
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print