11/26/14 at 12:57:56

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Torrii MKIII wow! (Read 4066 times)
vmax
Verified Member

Torrii MKIII wow!
04/12/14 at 23:48:18

I have quite a few components hooked up in My system, which has been causing alot of grounding issues.  I finally have the systems components grounded and have balanced out those ground circuits...

For the first time I am hearing what was described in the owners manual, crystal clear limitless depth in the music wow! This amp will never leave My areas possession now...

I have a true subwoofer which is high power so it has to have a good ground to stay silent, a rotel 1098 and 4 other amps and another processor, it's been a long journey but I finally got things together, also routing power though a few 3000 watts max surge/rfi interference filters.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Torrii MKIII wow!
Reply #1 - 04/13/14 at 00:17:14

vmax, Wow is right...that is a lot of grounding to pull together...And congratulations! I am glad you can finally hear the Torii MKIII fully!

« Last Edit: 04/13/14 at 00:41:39 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/14 at 00:35:23

fully is right, after over a year it was worth the wait, things just sounded abit muddled before but now crystal clear and wow the upper frequencies are where they should be, maybe a vcap upgrade will get done later on.  I like the potential I'm finally seeing, the power caps in the Torrii are going to have to season/burn in for awhile before things actually settle where they should have been..  

things should get better and better now.

« Last Edit: 04/13/14 at 00:36:39 by vmax »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/14 at 00:47:26

It does just get more and more refined with time.

Interesting! Was it only the grounding that made such a difference? Did you introduce any power conditioning or regeneration for the amp at the same time... or anything else?

It is amazing how good it can sound when it is not muddled for some reason(s).

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/14 at 01:31:27

I only added the grounding , now all the components can get prooper current flow. finally the music comes through.. the 3 prong plugs in My system weren't adequate to stop the ground loops, the grounding that I just did was in addition to the standard 3 prong plugs grounding.

Things were getting worse that's why I had to get it figured out again, I actually had most of the sytem grounded  before (in addition to the standard 3 prong plug grounding), I knew an imbalance was in the system, so I added a final ground on the front side of the chain of components to open up the bottleneck that was apparently happening...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/13/14 at 02:09:12

Cool. Very impressive illustration of one aspect of good power! Any chance you can expand on how you did it?

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/13/14 at 04:10:38

It requires electricians certification to do what I did so I can't give out any direct info.. people may end blowing up their equipment or getting  harmful or fatal electric shock(s) ... Sad

« Last Edit: 04/13/14 at 04:30:21 by vmax »  
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 04/13/14 at 15:08:31

Double super secret shit!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #8 - 04/16/14 at 00:36:39

With all of the hype about the newer, cooler models, it is easy to forget about the humble mk III.  i have been loving mine for about 2 years now and it does get better and better.  Stick with it V.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 04/16/14 at 00:47:57

AMEN. I love my Torii Mk IIIs. And the Torii Mk II I listen to every day here at my parents' is an amazing machine as well, a bit more "old school" than the Mk IIIs which can be a very good thing!

I really am grateful to both Steve and Bob for all the pleasure their creations have given me over the last years. Changed my life!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/16/14 at 01:21:20

Tom and Lon I cannot agree with you guys strongly enough.  Decware is a life changer.  Just had an old friend visit and listen for a few hrs and he couldn't believe it...he kept on repeating "this is vinyl?", had a hard time understanding the depth of soundstage and in the room feel.  Played him some Dianna Krall, Jobim, Beck's new album and Robbie Shankar's lesser known daughter Anoushka.

Much love,

JD

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #11 - 04/20/14 at 14:44:48

this amp also lets you know if your money has been well spent on sources and other upgrades.  a few of my recent changes.
1st, exchanged my very good copper speaker wires for silver from the torii to the err's.  small upgrade, better spacial balance but not a killer, the other wire was very good and very close, had to go back and forth.
2nd, silver interconnect substituted between phono pre and torii.  watch out, not even close.  the increase in clarity was easily heard, no need to switch back and forth with that.
3rd, exchanged the sme arm for the jmw 12 inch on the tnt table with delos cart.  unbelievable.  can now easily hear that the tuba is behind the trombones just like real life.  the system was always excellent spacially, but in a diffuse sort of way.  no longer.
however, this isn't a commercial for a tone arm but for the fact that the torii and the decware phono let all of this happen, no guessing.
it is revealing without being "ruthlessly revealing".

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 04/20/14 at 14:57:42

Thanks for posting that. What cables did you move to and from? If you don't mind sharing.

I echo your observation that the Mk III lets you hear changes. I just put a Herbie's Audio Lab turntable mat on my RP3. I immediately heard a change from the felt mat that came with the table (it was a table that had been upgraded to an Exact2 cartridge and the yellow mat that matched the cartridge). I heard immediate differences. . . I like both mats, each have their own character, and can help with tailoring sound with older lps. The Mk III lets me quite clearly hear each distinctive character of the respective mats.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/20/14 at 15:18:32

there must be some bizarre synergy between Torii III owners cuz I just replaced my felt mat with a herbie's as well (last week) and although I was hesitant it's a definite improvement.  I also agree silver interconnects are best, i'm using Decware and one pair of grover huffman's.  I find a much better sound with silver rca connectors instead of copper.
I also just switched back to brown base early 50's rca 5r4gy's in my torii.  I still use 5u4g rca's in my zp3 and csp2+.  i know most prefer the 5u4g's over the 5r4gy's but I find with the combo of both it just tightens up a little bit.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/20/14 at 16:11:29

Lon,  which Herbies  TT mat did you get?  and what size...thickness and diameter? As you know I have a Rega RP6 TT with the factory installed Exact 2 Cart, which I assume has a similar size glass platter as the RP3.  I've been meaning to replace the felt mat...just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 16:12:38 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print