10/24/14 at 11:42:50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Torrii MKIII wow! (Read 3049 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: Torrii MKIII wow!
Reply #30 - 04/26/14 at 19:50:39

With 7308's all around the sound was too relaxed, a little too much floating around. tried it for a week or so and it worked great on some recordings but not all.  I've put back a telefunken e88cc in the driver position of the csp2+ and I am very happy. Seems a happier medium.

JD

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 04/30/14 at 02:54:38

ok, last and final bit of info regarding a problem I've finally got beat...

I have a true subwoofer, this things life blood is the power capacitors it has inside in it's circuitry, the Torrii MKIII also has alot of power capacitors in it's cicuitry. the problem a noisy incoherent humming sound in the system, sub and the Torrii MKIII.

here's the culprit, it was the source, an older cd changer. the fix was to lube the cd mechanisms. after all those years the lithium grease became dried out.  an integral part of a cd players operation is propper tracking, add even a small amout of drag in the mechanism the cd laser rides on as it track the cd and it won't read the data properly.  It had an incoherent sound witha constant oscillation in both channels the left more than the right channel as well as the music was louder in the right channel more than the left channel.  

the constant low level oscilation had conditioned the capacitors in the sub and the TorriiMKIII to produce hum sort of like a ground loop.

I used prolong brand lube on the cd mech.  The system is dead quiet, balanced and sounding the way it should now.

If you have a mystery ground loop and an older cd player this info may be helpful  :)  .....

« Last Edit: 04/30/14 at 03:11:07 by vmax »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 05/07/14 at 03:29:31

Well, since I mentioned the VooDoo Cable "Iso-Pods" above I wanted to add some info now that they have arrived.

These are very interesting. They are similar to Herbie's Iso-Cups and also Roller Blocks from Ingress Engineering or Symposium. But unlike the Roller Blocks they don't allow any noticeable latteral movement, they have a magnetic field holding them together pretty solidly.  

I was hoping I could put these under the CSP2+ and ZP3 and they wouldn't wobble or be too low that the AC-12 power cords would cause them to move or lift. Well, success there, put these under the preamps and they are solid. But. . . I didn't like the sound that much. The quick and warm bass was just gone. Puzzling. Very clear and open midbass, great treble, but bass. . . vanished. I messed about a bit with controls etc. but never quite got close to what I had before in the lower frequencies. So I put the Tenderfeet back in, there you go, the bass was back.

I have Iso-Cups under my Power Plant Premier but wasn't sure they were doing much. So I tried five of the Iso-Pods under the PPP and was very surprised. There was a more open midrange and no loss in other frequencies. And then I had freed up five Iso-Cups with Deep Moss Quartz balls and had another one in the closet so I tried them under the two preamps. This time, since they are sitting on a PowerBase, somehow they wer quite stable on the Iso-Cups, and the sound now was just great. A bit more depth to the sound with the right tonal balance and seemed a bit more revealing of dynamic changes. Okay, I stuck a fork in the mix, done. Very happy with the improvements, certainly not earth-shaking but what is?

Next I replaced the four Tenderfeet under the Rega RP3 with four of the Iso-Pods. No question, the Iso-Pods win. More depth AND more detail to the sound. I liked the Roller Blocks under the RP3 but could not live with the latteral movement when they were there, not on an turntable! No such movement with these.

So the Iso-Pods surprised me, didn't like them under my tubed preamps, really liked them under the PPP and the RP3. Interesting pieces.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/07/14 at 05:16:33

Thanks Lon.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/03/14 at 03:36:44

I don't have anything technical to add to the discussion, however, I do have a Torii MKIII wow! moment to share.

My wife and I used to do a lot of quality stereo listening back in the day on the old SS stereo rig.  Long story short, due to kids, jobs schedules not coinciding etc, we just haven't listened to the new Decware Torii MKIII, Monolith spkrs and Oppo 105 together much, (which means she rarely does).  

Well she's got a elementary school job so is off for the summer. Today the kids were out and about and I had the tubes warmed up so asked her to sit in the sweet spot.  I had some Music Matters jazz on and she was impressed with the sound but said she missed how the old stereo imaged so well.  I said well this one can too, it's just that  the old 50's stereo recording always sound hard left/right.  So I put on the the Eagles - Hotel California sacd and selected Pretty Maids All In A Row as I know it has the players spaced out pretty well and she likes the song.

I sat next to her and after the song was over I turned and asked what she thought.  She had tears running down her cheeks.  Pointing at them she said "that's how beautiful I think it sounds"   I have never in 15yrs with her seen her react to the music that way and she now finally gets how great this Decware gear is after having listening to me babble on and on for months about how superior it all is.

Anyways, it was a pretty cool moment and I figured I'd share it with you guys.

Greg

« Last Edit: 07/03/14 at 03:54:07 by Greg12 »  

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 07/03/14 at 13:37:42

very cool Greg very cool, as a teacher myself there is nothing better than tubes in the summertime.

JD

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/03/14 at 23:13:05

Nice Greg! Thanks for the story. I have been brought to tears by the MKIII and the MkIV! Part of it for me is no doubt gratitude for Steve and Bob and crews for offering gear that can develop musical realism in our homes. But most of it is that extraordinary realism grabbing me and blowing my mind!

« Last Edit: 07/03/14 at 23:14:04 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/19/14 at 01:33:22

this could have been posted earlier but i couldn't find it it. in my opinion the valve art 274b couldn't hold a candle to my early 50's rca 5u4g rectifiers.   I tried for a couple weeks but it was letting way too much voltage get to my speakers.  I'm back to my early 50's rca 5u4g with ob3's helping out. Beautiful sound

JD

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 10/19/14 at 02:40:56

Me too. I can get great sound from the Valve Art 274B (and 5V4s, and 5Y4GYs) depending on tubes, but I most often end up right where you are...50's 5U4G-ST with OB3s.

« Last Edit: 10/19/14 at 02:42:51 by will »  

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 10/19/14 at 22:26:50

Hi guys,

Curious about these  5U4G-ST's.  I know a few folks are using/liking them here.  I have a pair of RCA 5U4GB's but I don't use them because for me the bass is too big and undefined w/ them in my Mk III.  I currently am using RCA 5y3gt's which seems to keeps the bass controlled in my set up.  Curious how the 5U4G-ST's would compare to these other 2 types.  I'd like to try them but wouldn't if they're similar to the 5U4GB's

Thanks,

Greg

« Last Edit: 10/19/14 at 22:36:47 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 10/19/14 at 22:48:01

Hey Greg,

In general I've found the ST type to have a touch leaner bass and midrange in my Mk III. In between the 5Y3GT and 5U4GB of most brands and vintages. So it may well be worth trying out. Like will I have moved to OB3 tubes and the ST mates well with them. I found a pair of old Acturus OB3 tubes that just work so well with my other tube complement that I hope they last forever!

If you look at ebay often enough there are ST pairs reasonbly priced. . . I would not spend a lot til you know this is a useful type.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 10/19/14 at 23:04:57

Edit: funny, Lon beat me on the keyboard, but here are my similar thoughts.

Greg,

RCA ST's vary depending on construction but are less bassy than GBs in my experience, GBs being the most bassy rectifier I have tried. The STs I like best for open and sweet detail, and on the less bassy side for the tube, have top/side D getters. I have found them on ebay pretty inexpensively at times.

That said, they will make you amp bassier than 5Y3s, but also more dynamic. Risky I would say if the 5y3s seem right or close to the edge on some material. You might get closer with STs and OC3, but likely more open mids too. I have never compared this equation though. And since you like your sound with bigger sounding OA3s.....I don't know if I would risk the ST.

This is why I started using EQ in my PureMusic software player, so I could use tubes that tend more toward bass.

« Last Edit: 10/19/14 at 23:07:53 by will »  

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 10/20/14 at 00:16:35

Lon and Will,

I think most of my bass issues stem from my small living room.  11 X 13'.  I sure wish I had a larger LR so that I could pull the Monoliths out and away from the front wall more.  I really can't get them more than 14" from the wall because they'd just intrude too much.  (we live in a 1920's bungalow, smallish rooms).  Thankfully the 5y3gt's allow me to overcome, to an extent, the room issue.

I think if I can find 5U4G-ST's cheap enough I'll get them to try.  I've got the OB3's that I could use w/ them if needed,  C's and D's too for that matter, it'd be fun to experiment.  

Anyways,  thanks for the great info.

Greg

« Last Edit: 10/20/14 at 00:20:12 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 10/20/14 at 00:25:32

Greg,

Have you ever trying "tuning" the ports of the Monoliths. By playing with various levels of plugging the port, I wonder if you could fine-tune to your space and taste...or at least help it. Since your speaker placement is exaggerating the bass, why not try to cut some of it?

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 10/20/14 at 00:42:12

Will,

Glad you mentioned that.  I did use some old sweatshirts in the horns back when I first got the spkrs and that seemed to help some.  I pulled them out a couple weeks ago after running the KT66's for several days.  Haven't felt the need to put them back in.  I'll play around some more next week when I'm off work for 7days. The other day my wife had bought some pillow stuffing at Michael's to restuff a couple couch pillows. The white, fibrous stuff.  May get some more and stuff a couple old flannel pillow cases we've got laying around and play with different densities to see what works best.

« Last Edit: 10/20/14 at 00:59:27 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print