Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Torrii MKIII wow!
Reply #15 - 04/20/14 at 16:32:47

I ordered this one Mark, and included a note telling Steve what I had and asking him to advise me if this is not the best choice. He shipped me this one.

Way Excellent II-2mm:

Size options:
295mm (11.6") diameter. Full-size mat for most turntables.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/20/14 at 16:47:56

I have been exploring the MKIV and MKIII together but in different rooms. Having heard a Taboo, 34SE and Rachel, I would say all Decware amps are potentially very revealing. There is something very transparent about the MKIII though in this respect of revealing changes, I agree. Its potential for bass intensity in my settings is a factor that I did not get with the other amps giving subtle changes more importance. I don't think I have ever made a change of settings, tubes, feet, cables or even subtle power tweaks that could not be perceived. Some pretty subtle, but most notable.

I hear you JD. I think it depends so much on so many things, but the tightening of the 5Y4s can be pretty useful. I go back and forth on the RCA 5U4G-ST and 5Y4GYs, particularly in the MKIII. Right now, to chill the mid bass in my new room, I am liking some GE 5Y4GYs...clean, open and tight, but also some 40s RCA 5U4G-ST. I get your silver IC thing too. My favorite interconnects have been silver for a long time. I do find differences between the silvers as much as between good copper and good silver though, and with well designed and implemented cables, it seems a synergy and taste thing finally. I do seem to find that the silver I have tried tends to bring out micro information nicely though. Right now I am using Grovers from my DAC to the CSP3 and VHAudio DIY silver from CSP to MKIV.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 04/20/14 at 16:58:13

I've like both silver and copper. . . and then found the best compromise in the melding of the two in these interconnects:

http://www.voodoocable.net/VEVIC.html

I'm sure there are better cables out there but these took me off the cable merry-go-round, replacing Decware and MAC silver cables. Just the right blend of musicality, detail and ease of sound for my system, and in both my old and new rooms. Took a chance on my first pair because they were used and affordable. Haven't seen a used pair again! I've bought othars at full pop, still feels worth it to me.

I have one pair of the next step up (which is no longer made), UltraLinear. If I see more used, I'll grab them, VERY nice.

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 17:00:00 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/20/14 at 17:57:58

I decided to do some more tube rolling so I've replaced my nos pair of mullard 6922 and a telefunken e88cc with a pair of nos siemens e188cc's and a amperex 7308.  I have really come to enjoy the 7308's in my input positions on my torii so why not try em all around in the csp2+.

JD

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/20/14 at 18:31:35

Interesting Lon. How would describe the Evolutions compared to the Decware or Macs?

JD,

I too have gotten a bit of the E188CC/7308 bug. I have a long love for PCC88s though, and usually end up back there for Torii inputs. I had some bad tube trouble with my CSP3, the power tube position being noisy with anything other than 6N1P and 6QB7As and I believe compromising the tubes on the left side. Though I pulled them quick, and not in all cases, but one of a pair tried in the CSP3 died later in too many cases for me not to believe this to be the case.

This however was not the experience of many CSP2 folks or later CSP3s. I sent mine back for an adjustment that Steve said would solve it and that he was using on CSP3s made after mine. Mine is #3 I think.

All that said, it sounds like this is a non-issue in your case. I bet it sounds awesome with E188CC/7308s all around. My feet have been cold in trying 6922/6dj8 types in that position, but I need to get over it. So thanks.

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 18:32:47 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 04/20/14 at 19:00:51

will wrote on 04/20/14 at 18:31:35:
Interesting Lon. How would describe the Evolutions compared to the Decware or Macs?

I find them to have a fuller sound without losing detail or dynamics, and to have the copper warmth thing with the silver quickness if that makes any sense (?) The presentation just seems "right." The Cryoset Version 2 I used for some time almost have all these qualities except the bit of quickness the Evolution does provide. The only analog spot I don't yet have VooDoo Cable interconnects is between the ZP3 and the second CSP2+ -- I'm using an Analysis Plus cable there that is very good. But someday perhsps. . . .:)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/20/14 at 19:44:33

Quote:
the copper warmth thing with the silver quickness if that makes any sense (?)

Thanks. That makes sense to me from a well designed blend of copper and silver. The areas that fascinate me lately are micro detail and micro dynamics, the balance of each in how they relate to the rest of detail and dynamics, and the impact on the listening experience. I think the conveyance of these is associated with speed, and also the extra information that comes along with speed... more accurate conveyance of subtle information. It shows on the beginning and ending edges of a note, but also, equally in the timbre, completing a sound with fine detail. AND the ambience! Finally it enables a delivery that is natural and logical subconsciously, and if everything else is good, a more engaging musical experience.

Like Tom says, these things can be heard with the MKIII and what a great tool that makes it, though I am presently exploring this with the MKIV and what an experience that is!

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 19:56:14 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 04/20/14 at 20:02:25

Well, if you ever get a chance to audition the VooDoo Cable line of interconnects, I'd recommend taking the opportunity. I think they may offer an avenue into what you are exploring.

I'm very happy with mine and they mate well with all my other cabling, which is also important. I've ordered a few sets of their IsoPods as well to try under my CSP2+s and ZP3. I can't use Iso-Cups there because of the AC-12 power cords, which exert too much backwards force, so I'm using Tenderfeet. But the IsoPods are suppoed to not "move" and that may mean that I can use them, and I bet they'll improve the sound in comparison to the Tenderfeet; the Tenderfeet are the weakest link I have in my isolation componentry.

Interesting the focus on microdynamics and microdetail. The dynamics aspect in particular has been something that has been noticed by my ears of late. I find this a characteristic of my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, any shift in dynamics is noticeable and really puts a "breath of life" into the music. And then I found a similar, almost to the same extent, characteristic in an unexpected place, the California Audio Labs changer that I put into my Dad's system. Dad and I have both been surprised at the dynamic control that this player has brought to that system, where no other source has come close. With the music we are listening to there, solo piano and chamber music and orchestral pieces, this dynamic contrast in presentation really stands out and makes an involving iistening. (And this with MAC silver cabling and Decware power cables). The Torii Mk II is very capable of showing this sort of detail and sorting it all out well. I had underestimated this amp before, it's really shining lately.

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 20:07:48 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/20/14 at 22:43:07

Lon,

I will keep an eye out for Voodoos.

I got Isocups to work under the CSP3, but mine is in a cabinet, and the cord runs, not down, but to the side so the power conditioner holds up one end, with one little grundbuster topped screw to gently hold it up. One of the few practical benefits of a cabinet.

I don't use tenderfeet except in double isolation. I have some under a flagstone and then some Synergistic MIGs between the stone and Zstage. No idea what the effect of the flag is, but this pile of stuff under the Zstage allows a good solid and linear sound. I had been using pieces of flagstone for weight on top of Herbies sonic stabilizers to good effect and just thought "what if."

It is great the California and MKII are so happening in you and your dad's system! I keep being amazed at how content I am with my Tranquility DAC. Folks talk a lot about advanced technology DACs and high-res, going for the smooth resolution of analog, and I sit here feeling very happy with this brilliant NOS DAC. It is tweaked with great cords, USB power isolation, tweaked PureMusic software, and a weighted and vibration isolated Mini with good settings, but the whole does a beautiful job of transforming Rebook to smooth, balanced and detailed Music! With the rest of my gear and room it is so musical and real it constantly amazes me. Well amaze is too cold a word for this feeling. I am in Love!

But this again points to the Wow of a Torii. These amazing amps make it all possible.

« Last Edit: 04/20/14 at 22:45:13 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 04/20/14 at 23:18:36

Hey, there are many ways to skin the audio cat! Each room is different, we all have different tastes, and I think we can all agree on one thing: not an ordinary amp or DAC can pull off what our Decware systems can if worked on for best setup and output!

The more I have delved into this hobby these decades the more I've learned that synergy is the key to system cohesiveness, and that what works for one doesn't always work for another, and vice versa.

This is a hobby that can take you through a lifetime, for the most part. . .happily.

I had to use Tenderfeet, even in a cabinet the weight of the AC-12 (this is a heavy ass cable, but works oh so wonderfully in my system) makes Iso-Cups unusable. I'm hoping the IsoPod from VooDoo Cable will work.

Regarding the CL-10: surprised the heck out of me that a fifteen year old changer would sound so good, but then every review of this I've read alludes to this being THE audiophile changer, so I shouldn't be too surprised. Only the PerfectWave DAC (Mk I or II) has bettered it in my experience in dynamic control and contrast. That's big praise for what turned out to be a very solid unit bought for 300 dollars.

« Last Edit: 04/21/14 at 15:00:39 by Lon »  

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/21/14 at 13:55:01

Will, regarding post 1089 it seems we are on a similar auditory journey.  Great job putting it into words.  
I've always been interested in the epistemology of music whether it be a genre or individual note...Decware's a great tool to help on this journey.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/21/14 at 16:30:32

JD,  that's a new word for me.  For the others too lazy to look it up...see below.  Mark.

eˇpisˇteˇmolˇoˇgy

noun PHILOSOPHY
the theory of knowledge, esp. with regard to its methods, validity, and scope. Epistemology is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion.

« Last Edit: 04/21/14 at 16:32:09 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/21/14 at 18:55:46

Great term! Thanks.

« Last Edit: 04/21/14 at 18:56:17 by will »  

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #28 - 04/21/14 at 19:17:45

Lon:  You asked me which silver cables I have.  They are the United Home Audio (the Tape Project People) Dragon and Celtic.  The speaker cables are Double Dragons.

Tom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 04/21/14 at 19:21:44

Thanks Tom!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print